1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Film on inside of windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jdcollins5, Apr 27, 2012.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I first got my car I had an issue trying to keep the film off of the inside of the windshield. Even with Windex it would leave streaks. I found out that old newspaper worked best.

I then read where others were just using a damp cloth to clean their dash and not any interior protectant. Ever since I quit using any type of interior dash protectant I have not had any further issues with this film.

A couple of weekends ago I noticed that the dash part closest to the windshield looked like it was beginning to discolor ever so slightly. I grabbed a bottle of the ArmorAll interior spray, wet a rag and applied a thin film to this part of the dash and then the rest of the dash.

After the first day of sitting in the hot sun in an asphalt parking lot at work I again have a film on the windshield.

Does anyone know of a good dash protector that will not give off an oily film but will help with the dash fading ?

2. vvDO

vvDO New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the film and I have never used cleaner on the dash just a damp cloth however was going to start using armor all, guess I won't now.

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That film was common with older plastics and is a result of the plasticiser evaporating and condensing on the windows. Armour all has a lot of volatiles in it which is why it stays "wet". These also condense on windscreen glass. Prius glass is UV blocking. I'd be surprised if the dash was discolouring due to UV.

1 person likes this.
  4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've read that the best way to protect it is just a damp cloth and no armorall. I just wipe it down, and after 3 years don't see any discoloring happening. I"ve heard someone I know likes Blech White (I think that's how it's spelled).

1 person likes this.
  5. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Using plain old newspaper should work.

6. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I usually use a mild, ph balanced interior cleaner.
    I just picked up my first bottle of this stuff. Only used it once so far but seemed nice, and I was able to use it on the whole interior. The softex seats, the dash, the door panels, the steering wheel, etc. But not the display screens.
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/Optimum-Protectant-Plus_p_177.html

1 person likes this.
  7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find something called '303 Aerospace Protectant' does a great job on plastics, without releasing a film that coats the windows.

1 person likes this.
  8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use it also, works great and doesn't leave a film.

303 Products, Inc.: 303 Aerospace Protectant

I get it at Ace Hardware.

1 person likes this.
  9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's no reason to use anything on the dash. The windshield is already tinted 80% and has 100% UV cut rate.

10. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just say no to Windex and Armorall. Over the past 10+ years, I've been using these products with great success:

- Plastics: 303 Aerospace

- Glass: Stoner Invisible Glass - absolutely the best consumer window cleaner for streak-free finish. I've always used the aerosol can, but it's also available in a pump. It comes in a black & yellow container.

1 person likes this.
  11. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That film on the window is plasticizer. Armor All is a water emulsion of plasticizer. It's great for replenishing dried plasticized materials, but then it does evaporate, and condense on the cool window.

Plasticizer makes hard plastics soft. The classic is vinyl, which is plasticized PVC. PVC is a very tough plastic, but it's also hard as a rock. Think of PVC pipe. That's pure PVC. The plasticizer comes as a thick liquid. You melt the PVC and mix in the liquid. Then when it cools, you have a soft, flexible, but still tough plastic (you call it vinyl). Over time the plasticizer evaporates and the soft plastic becomes harder and it also shrinks (as part of it's volume disappears into the air).

Other plastics also can have plasticizer. I had a nice window shade for the car, but the silver coating over the fabric must have been plasticized, since it always left that blue haze when I used it.

1 person likes this.
  12. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. The Stoner Invisible Glass is the best window cleaner I've used. A lot of detailing shops use wet newspaper. However, newsprint leaves ink on your hands and Stoner cleaner contains strong chemicals. Either way, try to wear protective gloves. I buy powder-free latex gloves in Walmart's pharmacy area.

The 303 Aerospace Protectant sounds promising, although it's a new one to me. Their website says it's recommended by manufacturers and fights UV rays. The reviews I found on the product were positive. Some people said it can be difficult to find locally, so it might require an online purchase.

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been using 303 for a long time with great results. Although I haven't used it--or anything else--on my Prius interior. Dusting with a California dash duster is all that's ever needed.

14. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been using 303 for years, but on my hot tub vinyl top. It's a great product also for those black rubber seals around the doors and hatch of the Prius. Keep in mind that it might leave a high luster if you use it on the dash plate which could generate reflections.

303 can be found at your local pool and spa supply store.

15. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I never would have thought to try a pool supply store.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my vote for 303. I have been using it for years on my paddling dry top latex gaskets. They stay like new with 303 worked into them. Add a paddling shop for a source of 303. I would not hesitate to use it on any rubber or plastic material that you really care about.

Something else I have used in the past on plastics is aerosol furniture polish. Lemon Pledge or any other brand name spray on polish. It keeps plastic from drying out. It does leave a very slippery surface and shiny so be aware using it on the top side of the dash.

Mike

17. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While 303 works for door seals, it doesn't last very long and doesn't cure noisy, creaky seals very well. (Common problem on my old Lexus LS430) The best product I've found for door seals is Shin Etsu grease available at the Honda parts counter. You will likely need to have them order a tube (about $20) as they often only have one in stock which is used by all of the mechanics when needed.

18. richsc

richsc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will have to try that 303. However, I found a microfiber cloth on a stick wipes all the film off and keeps me from straining to get into the far reaches of the windshielf.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would that be one of those green cloths on the plastic stick? Sprayed with a mist of water? I use one of those, works great.

Mike

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a dust brush we use on the dash as needed.
    Also we started using the Invisible Glass cited above (got at Walmart) on the windows to help minimize the inside film.