1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filter that will capture 67% of the dirt hybrid battery cooling air

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bernie3015, Dec 7, 2016.

1. bernie3015

bernie3015 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found some foam that is very porous. (light passes through it and you can blow through it.) It is washable so can be used for the life of the car. According to the manufacture of the foam it will capture 67% of the dirt as well as all the hair. I used it to create a filter for my gen 2 and I am thinking of having molds made so this can be available to Gen 2, Gen 3 owners etc. The price would be around $8 and $5 for 10 or more (repair shops).

Also since it is behind the existing grill to install and service you have to lift up one side of the lower back seat and loosen one bolt that holds in the grill. Since the filter is visible from the front of the grill you would not have to service it unless it was dirty. One advantage is it does not protrude into the cabin right by the door as the Toyota snap in filter does. It also will trap 67% of the dirt in the air.

Having repaired a hybrid battery where the fan was totally clogged and some of the air passages between the battery modules were half clogged I know this is needed for cars that regular transport people and/or pets in the back seat.

Is it wanted? Your comments please.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! there are a few people who would definitely buy one, but if they can't make their own, i'm not sure they can handle the installation. overall, fan clogging seems to be a very small percentage of cars, but definitely for those with regularly shedding pets. all the best!(y)

Bluegrassman likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The only problem with filters is they -always- reduce air flow. So is the clogging issue extensive enough to reduce the cooling, because that is what a filter will do? I can't say, but if I was carrying large hairy dogs all the time I would use a mesh over the intake. Otherwise I'm not worrying about it.
    You -can- purchase a "filter" from Toyota BTW, but it's just a mesh screen that fits over the intake.

4. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I put in a piece of residential window screen, has about 1/16" wire grid. And every 2~3 years have a look at the fan itself.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see anything?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah. Like any fan in use for while, the blades were getting a little fuzzy. With reg Prius it's a squirrel cage style, about the dims of planter peanut can. You can clean it in situ with a qtip. I run a duster wand through all the plastic ductwork, and use a leaf blower to clear everything out of the corners.