1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filter wont come off...Ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TheKracken, May 29, 2017.

1. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alright, so I just bought a 2011 prius and decided to do an oil change.
    Anyway, I cant get the filter cartridge off! I have tried a 3/8th 65mm 14 fluke with a normal 3/8th socket wrench.
    This wouldnt budge it so I went to autozone and got a 1/2 64mm 14f and a 1/2 breaker bar and it broke the filter wrench. Not sure what to do now....

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you remove the metal clip before trying to rotate the filter off?

The filter housing does require a fair bit of force to remove, but ensure the metal clip at the 7 o'clock position is removed first.

Good luck.

3. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't remove the clip before attempting but I did after a little bit and tried these again and still didnt work. I am a pretty big guy and I am putting on a lot of force...

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I broken 2 teeth off of the aluminum 65mm wrench due to torque that the housing got :(.

I eventually got it off, but it took more force than I would have thought.

Just make sure the filter wrench is securely seated and the clip is removed. One trick you could try is to tighten it slightly, then try to remove it.

Keep us posted (y).

5. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will keep this updated. I am going to buy a 3/8ths beaker bar and see if that works...

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I never found that clip did much of anything, fwiw, I forget it's even there. I can't see it being the problem.

I'm using the standard Honda automotive filter, also 14 flute, and measuring with a dial caliper just now, it measures 64.5 mm, inside face-to-face. That said, I'm the only one since the factory to install the filter, always used the spec'd. 18 ft/lb torque.

When removing it I'm using a long-handle (17" roughly) 1/2" drive Jet ratchet, with a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer and extension, typically. It's just a little reluctant to get started, but again, that's after torquing to spec.

The Honda socket doesn't extend down into the stiffereners (obviously), is 3/8" internal drive and also fits a 17 mm socket. It's heavy-gauge stamped-steel, if you want to give that a try you could probably pick up at any Honda dealership. Not sure if it'd be any better though, sounds like someone put it on with an impact driver.

You might also try one of the strap kind wrenches, and maybe wet the band and sprinkle with pumice for some extra grip? Got the feeling a socket is going to ultimately round the corners. Might be good to get an extra filter housing, in preparation.

7. speedjunkie

speedjunkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Try putting some sandpaper between the filter and the filter wrench. It will provide extra bite. I had a similar issue on a oil filter on a motorcycle I had in the past and the sandpaper trick worked for me. Be sure to put two sheets, rough side facing the filter on one sheet and then the rough side facing the filter wrench so that there's plenty of bite on both sides. Make sure it's seated fully before trying to loosen.

8. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

I bought a 3/8ths breaker bar since my 1/2 filter wrench broke....
    Now the 3/8ths filter wrench is broken.... I gave it all I had to get the canister off and it keep breaking these filter cap wrenches

9. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tap the filter cover with a hammer all edges. Tighten it 1/8 turn in. Then loosen it off.

10. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are these breaking at the square drive? I'm guessing you don't have an impact wrench but that and an impact socket (like the TOY640 only fits a 24mm with no square drive) might be gentler on those fragile aluminum oil filter sockets since it provides steady energy and hammer. I bet they last put it on with an impact wrench.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think this is the latest version of the Honda oil filter socket. Mine was purchased around 1990, has a different part number stamped on it. Fits snug:

upload_2017-5-29_21-38-42.png

12. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes these are breaking at the square drive, I have not been using a socket. I just ordered one though and a new filter wrench as well so I will be without my prius for a few more days :(

13. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I couldn't get the oil filter off on my first DIY oil change. I simply brought the car to a mechanic and told him not to over-tighten the filter for the first oil change. I managed to get the oil filter off easily afterwards.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    My aluminum filter housing socket has a hex for a 24mm socket. I use a 1/2" ratchet and 24mm 1/2" drive socket. I doubt you could break it. I suspect the housing socket might damage the filter housing if enough torque is applied though. I don't torque the housing to the engine. I turn until it bottoms then stop. It doesn't need torque to stay in place or to seal. Tightening it is what is causing all the grief. Just did an oil change yesterday so all this is fresh in my mind. ;) Oh, and thanks Mendal for the "wash the push pins" tip. They work so much better when clean.

If it is as tight as you indicate, you may damage the filter housing removing it. Be ready to buy a new one.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd agree with all of that. The only quibble: torqueing to 18 ft/lb will not lead to grief, it's never hard to break loose subsequently , if it's torqued correctly. That said, I think you're right, with the O-ring being on the barrel, firm hand tightening should be ok.

In OP's case, it's very likely some nutter with a powered driver or air tool has been at it.

It's funny: I got my Honda 64 mm socket when I had a Hurricane, in the late '80's; it was only Honda motorcycles with such a diminutive filter. Stamped heavy-gauge steel, it's lasted.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will try some of these ideas and update this in a few days when the parts come in. For now my car is sitting with no oil waiting for the filter change.

I might as well change the transaxle fluid for the first time ( I have done it on my second gen)
    and maybe even the coolants.

The tires could be rotated too before a 3k mile trip I have coming up (6 mm front 8mm back)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the transaxle fluid, remove the fill bolt first, just in case.

18. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    you can take the whole filter assembly off by removing 3 bolts on the other side of filter,put it on a vise and use a pipe wrench

19. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alright so I bought another filter wrench and a 27 mm socket....still can't get this thing off! The plastic notches on the housing I think are breaking off...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. TheKracken

TheKracken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have tried all the ideas on here except for taking off the whole filter assembly. I just strayed some PB blaster on there to see if that somehow could help....I guess I could just take it to the dealer and see if they can get it off for me...