1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Final outcome of '19 gen4 engine into '12 V

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Erik Kleiva, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Erik Kleiva

Erik Kleiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2012 Prius V, 190+k miles, purchased May '21, cleaned egr, was completely clogged, Jan '22 ran out of oil (face slap), my fault, broke engine.
    Read ALL forum threads, watched all videos.
    March '22 sourced 2019 gen4 engine w/73k miles, did swap. Swapped all gen 3 externals. used gen 4 water pump, spark plugs n coils, fuel rail and injectors.
    Final total success yesterday.
    Things I learned along the way...
    -Make sure engine/tranny alignment pins are in their correct positions. I struggled to get the engine and tranny to line up for a day because 1 pin stayed in the tranny that should have come out with the old engine and I didn't notice it. 2 pins in the same hole doesn't work so good!
    -HV battery disconnect has to slide to the right to plug in the little shorting jumper or car won't operate.
    -Cut the jiggle pin from the thermostat! Struggled with overheating issues until I did that.
    Obvious to me, as to many others I'm sure, is that, to do it again would be probably 1/3 the time.
    All in all, thank you to all those that have posted and problem solved here before me!
    It gave me the confidence I could do it.
    This was my 1st engine swap, ever!
    Bonus outcomes, installed badass sound system in my garage, organized garage, finally installed Prius Offroad lift kit, replaced front and rear struts with new KYB stuff. Drastic improvement in ride quality and handling, probably more to do with new struts. The old ones were originals I think. But I do like the new ride height.
    Things learned from that portion of install:
    -make sure right drive shaft doesn't come out of transmission. Mine did and I struggled and struggled trying to get the strut bottom to line up. Removed shaft and reinstalled and then went smooth, only to discover I had damaged the magnetic ring on the wheel bearing. The abs, vsc etc doesn't like not having a signal...
    a whole other learning curve replacing bearing hub assembly!
    Frustrating process at times but I DID IT!!!!

2. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice job!!

ivanhoe and Erik Kleiva like this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Keep us updated.

Prius gen4 conversion meme.jpeg

ivanhoe, Tim Jones and Erik Kleiva like this.
  4. Erik Kleiva

Erik Kleiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lol! Thanks! Some of the other posts are comical at times. It's interesting to see how others approach problem solving! The frantic desperation is understandable if it happens to be one of your only vehicles. I am lucky in that this car is my car vs my worktruck, 2001 GMC Savana3500 10' boxvan. And the wife has her own, 2020 Rav4 Hybrid.
    I am down to only 2 motorcycles, from 5... a 2013 Honda F6B Goldwing & 1978 Honda XLS 250
    1985 John Deere 750 tractor w/front loader and backhoe, an ancient Craftsman 24hp beast of a lawn tractor and a 50 yr old Troybilt Horse rototiller.
    Too many machines to maintain... ugh
    It's the journey!

ivanhoe and Tim Jones like this.
  5. Erik Kleiva

Erik Kleiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Actually took a 90 mile drive just to be sure last night and then another 90 mile trip today. No issues.

ivanhoe and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Erik Kleiva

Erik Kleiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So overly confident that, last night, I installed the under plastics finally...

7. Erik Kleiva

Erik Kleiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update for anyone wondering...
    Night before last I started her up to go for a drive and the "maintenance required" light flashed 8 times! Freaked my shit out! Lol!
    It's just the normal, "change the oil" reminder! PHEW!!! Hahaha!!
    Still all good. She's running like a well oiled machine!
    Again, thank you to all that have contributed here. Wouldn't have attempted it otherwise!

mackin21, Tim Jones, CR94 and 2 others like this.