1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Final Purchase Decision Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Angelo, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, my Goodyear integritys have served their purpose, time to replace all four.

I live in Seattle (coming from SoCal) and am looking to replace all 4 tires that give me the best mpg possible while considering wet weather half the year.

I've seen a lot of the older threads but was just checking in to make sure nothing new or better has come along.

What tires would you recommend, I can go tire rack, side of the road shops or whichever. I just want to get the best tire for the car since I do about 400 miles per week, stretching the tank is my ultimate goal.

Thanks everyone

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My suggestion would be to forget about stretching the tank and get the best LRR tire that will handle your expected driving conditions. To put your gas mileage over safety will be very unproductive and possible be dangerous. Assuming gas prices at $2.75 around the Seattle area the difference between 50 mpg and 45 mpg is about $10 a month. Give up one Starbucks coffee or one fast food lunch per week and stay safe.

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  3. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay solid plan, what is the most desirable LRR tire?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see if they make the michelin energy savers in your size. they had gen 3 when i purchased, but not sure about gen 2.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll have to leave it to more knowledgeable people to help with that. There is also help available at places like Discount Tire/America's Tire and Tirerack.com.

I wouldn't recommend the the Pirelli Cintarauto P7 A/S for your conditions. I've had them on our Prius for the last 25k miles and I won't hesitate to buy them again but I bought them knowing they would be primarily on dry roads. They only see wet pavement occasionally and that's usually while driving conservatively on interstate highways. While they are all-season, they're not particularly recommended for the constant wet weather you'll be seeing.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Michelin defender, quiet, long lasting, not a replacement for something better, it's the best

7. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Went with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65R/15. OEM wheel is 185 but actually have heard ride and traction improvements by upping the width. Can't wait to get em! $116 per tire too!

Data Daedalus, bisco and srellim234 like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great price! i love mine, all the best!(y)

9. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the recommended psi for these tires still 42 front 40 rear? Slightly higher than the recommended 35 psi or whatever was on the door frame?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you generally need to go 2-3 PSI higher than the door placard.

You need to evaluate after 2000 miles to ensure you get even wear across the whole tread.

I recently dropped mine to 39/37 from 42/40 after the tires showed signs of over-inflation at the higher pressure.

I did not find any difference in MPG after dropping from 42/40 to 39/37.

There was an improvement in MPG going up from 35/33.

Just my data points, YMMV.

11. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Gen II shod with Michelin Energy Savers, though I do have the 16 inch tyres (Touring equivalent model) - I'd wager they should be available for the 15 inch wheels too - kind of their target clients, methinks.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i also have 15", but gen 3 went to 195. iirc, people have put them on gen 2 wheels, as we see in post #7.

13. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got mine pumped up to 40/38 at the moment. This does help with my MPG and produces a smooth enough quiet ride on a good surface without being too hard over the odd bump. The nicest bit is the vehicle develops an enthusiastic penchant for long gliding distances when the conditions present themselves.

This tyre seems to handle the relatively perpetual damp of the UK pretty well too.

iPhone ?

srellim234 and bisco like this.