1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

final verdict on sharkfin reception?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bagwell, Apr 25, 2006.

1. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I cannot detect any difference in reception.

2. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Considered getting one - haven't yet - but from everything I've on this site, there is no final verdict. It must depend on where you live, terrain, stations, etc. It's like gambling - you pay your money and take your chances.

3. xmasmag@aol.com

[email protected] New Member

Just installed the fin this past week. Radio reception is the same and it really punches up the techno/aero look of my Prius. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Oct 13 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]332458[/snapback]</div>
    </span><span style="color:#333333">

4. PriusFlorida

PriusFlorida New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bagwell @ Apr 25 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]244844[/snapback]</div>
    I installed my Fin last weekend and I have had no problems with reception, both on AM and FM stations. I think alot of issues could be with the area you live in. I am in florida and my XM has the same reception it always has

Black Prius Chic

5. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Sharkfin will not degrade AM reception because the whip is a FM antenna. For AM, the radio has an internal ferrite rod antenna.

Dan.

6. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDad @ May 3 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]249221[/snapback]</div>
    Definitely worse for AM. No problem with FM. Thinking about changing back to stock antenna unless someone can come up with a mod to the mod.

7. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Oct 18 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]334843[/snapback]</div>
    AM reception is definitely worse - even strong stations let power line noise get thru when driving under high tension lines. FM is about the same.

This doesn't bother me because I also have a Sirius satelitte antenna under the Shark Fin. I very rarely listen to AM, only occasionally to FM. About my only use for AM is Yankees or Mets baseball games. Even weather forcasts are better on Sirius

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Oct 18 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]334843[/snapback]</div>
    I live about 55 Miles from Manhattan as a center point of radio stations antenna distribution.
    My AM reception has minimized to the point of loosing some stations and About FM sensitivity, it decreased. Due to the design of the fractal internal antenna I lost complete 2 radio stations due to the 1/4 wave length of the it, and made the others marginal, lower reception of somehow 20%.
    I replaced the antenna base with internal amplifier but have same ubiquitous problem. For my is a great looking product, overall performance is OK, not reason for not using it now that I have it.
    For my poor and lost reception I will supplement it with a secondary on the windshield applied antenna and a splitter wire for the radio input.

DGH
    The Prii radio receiver doesn't use a ferrite rod antenna for AM reception, it does use the external whip to do so, but it is still used today for portable am/fm radios.

9. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Oct 18 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]334843[/snapback]</div>
    I got so disgusted with my SharkFin reception that I decided to make my own instead of mod the mod. Here's what it looks like on the car:

[attachmentid=5376] [attachmentid=5377]

The height of the fin is roughly half the height of the stock antenna. The entire upper part of the fin is a fractal folded 1/4 wave antenna for the middle of the FM frequency range. Both AM and FM reception are slightly improved over the original stock antenna.

It still needs some finishing work, but overall I'm pleased with the outcome. Hopefully I'll be able to get some time to finish it around the Christmas holidays.

Peter.

Attached Files:

10. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDad @ Oct 19 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]334914[/snapback]</div>
    Let’s said that is a mature shark with a more prominent fin....
    I like it and if it works much better than the priuschat advertised in the accessory shop, you have yourself a customer my friend
    . ;)

11. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that IS a shark's fin. You now have two customers.

12. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 19 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]335117[/snapback]</div>
    Does it come in any color?

13. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Nov 7 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]345237[/snapback]</div>
    Did anything ever come of the new homebrew sharkfin antenna? because I'd like to order one.

14. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockefella @ Jan 9 2007, 06:34 AM) [snapback]372988[/snapback]</div>
    I'm still working on it... Between Christmas, new years, and my current work schedule, I can't seem to get out into the garage! Shape is finished, antenna is set, I'm fiddling with stiffening and mounting, when I can get out there. A little more patience.

Regarding color, the prototype is molded from clear plastic, and I painted the color on the inside for scratch resistance. In the end, I'll probably actually paint the outside. So, yes, in theory, it could be any color I could get hold of at the dealer or via a paint shop. Similarly, it could probably fit on any Toyota that uses the same antenna mount as the Prius.

Peter.

15. Jimtak

Jimtak New Member

Peter -

So what's happening to your custom antenna/fin?

16. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MisterT @ Mar 28 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]413637[/snapback]</div>
    Do tell, do tell! :)

17. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MisterT @ Mar 28 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]413637[/snapback]</div>
    *Sigh*

I've started work for a start-up computer company and haven't had a chance to work on the darn thing for months. Right now, it's a one-off custom that works pretty well.

I need to look into what it would cost to have a mold made for blow molding the shell. Last time I talked to someone about it I think they quoted around $10,000 for the mold. So I'd have to sell 100 at $100 each to break even. That doesn't even count production costs (plastic, antenna wire, expanded foam core, assembly and painting for each antenna.)

But until the pressure at work lets off a bit, I'm not going to have a chance to get back to it and come up with ways to reduce the production costs.

Peter.

18. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

I installed the sharkfin but also added the Sirius antenna at the same time and placed it under the sharkfin, the Sirius comes in just fine hidden underneath it.

HOWEVER, the FM stations really do SUCK with the Sharkfin. If I had it to do over again, I would have sent it back, I really should have tried it first before mounting it. It does however look really cool, and for me currently I don't listen to anything but Sirius so not a huge issue there.

19. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know this subject has been beat to death, but here's more. I drove my wife's Subaru on my regular Prius commute for 1 day each of the last 2 weeks. The standard Subaru radio/antenna combination seems to cut out reception in exactly the same mountain pass where my Prius shark fin loses its station. It is KKJZ FM(Long Beach Jazz for LA folks) and I travel the 210 thru Pasadena from Chatsworth to Azusa. Nearer my house, the news/traffic station KFWB AM is actually better with the shark fin. Anyway, as for me, there is virtually NO difference between factory installed whip and the fin. Your mileage may vary.

20. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What?! Mileage might be affected by the fin?!