1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally a Prius Owner! However -- Was in a minor accident need advice!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rankinfitch83, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rankinfitch83

rankinfitch83 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

First I'd like to thank you all for your guidance towards buying a Prius. I got a 2011 Gen III which has been amazing.

Anyways, not even a week into owning it, I was hit by a motorcyclist from behind. At first I thought the car just had a scratch but I can see that on the left side of the rear bumper (the impact area) it is kind of hanging lower than it should around the side of the car.

The guy was uninsured, and broke to boot. I did not want to get the insurance company involved especially since I just bought the car and got new insurance for the car. But the car damage will need to be repaired. Although it appears to be minor I do not know anything about body repair. Does anyone know how to go about getting it repaired? The guy said he would pay for it. I am in the Los Angeles area. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!!!

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be as simple as replacing a broken fastener. Did the motorcyclist hit the bumper cover or the rear quarter panel? Hopefully for you it's just the bumper cover because replacing a broken fastener shouldn't be too difficult or cost much. The quarter panel? That's entirely different and will require someone to pop out the dent at the least.

3. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear about your accident :(
    we had just bought a brand new Rx450h and with just 84 miles on it was hit in the parking lot of a library which caused a bumper repaint, but the party had insurance so i even filed a diminished value claim , got everything repaired at car west elite and now still get mad when i think about it.

upload some pics and maybe we can see the problem and advise you :)

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pics would help

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He hit you! You will not be penalized for filing a claim for someone running into you!
    It's his fault!
    Besides, your uninsured motorist coverage will kick in and you will not pay any deductible!
    Take your car to a Toyota / Insurance approved body shop and get an estimate.
    The fact that the motorcyclist had no insurance only means he was stupid! He's not your problem!
    The DMV will deal with him!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Preach

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reality!

Cristino and Priusmpg like this.
  8. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sometimes motorist will lie and say they don't have insurance and say they are willing to fix themselves If they see the damage is minor because their rates wouldn't go up or they already have a high deductible and think its in their benefit. But if you aren't at fault and you can provide the other motorist's lic plate, name or any other info you're rates aren't effected by and you don't have to pay a deductible because of un uninsured or underinsured motorist and most policy's have a "deductible wavier " which you don't have to pay a deductible

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely get your insurance in on this. This is not the time to play Mr. Nice guy. Protect your interests first.
    SCH-I535

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last clown to run into me was when I was running the 4Runner. His car was a lowered "Crappy Hot Rod" BMW, I was stopped, he came around the corner and hit me head on. All the plastic from his car exploded all over the place. I thought I got off easy until I realized both my front tires were pointing inward rather severely.!
    He finally gave me his License, a phoney insurance card. I carry a camera so I got pics of everything.
    The end result I needed a complete frame transplant. The body shop had to locate a '95 4Runner frame, strip the entire body off, do the transplant, and paint! It took 3 weeks. I got a rental, free, and 3 weeks after I reported the accident I got a check for $1000.00, which was my deductible and a note saying the other guy had NO insurance, and as a result NO deductible for me!.
    The Cal DMV dealt with him!
    I still have the 4Runner. It rides true, which is fine with me!

I have a real bone to pick with Uninsured Motorists, and Hit & Runners!!
    What has society come to!

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are in the Los Angeles area I would recommend "Classic Collision" The one I use in on Riverside Drive, just south of Los Feliz Blvd. There are several other locations. Nice thing is they are Toyota approved, and most insurance carriers will automatically go with their estimate! I have AAA. They do great work!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you register a car in cali without insurance?

13. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was In my '10 Yaris stick, at a red light and a women rammed her car into me and when we pulled over she said I was brake checking her and told that to the insurance company when her insurance company called me and told me I was at fault for "reckless driving" I provided them with my dash cam footage which clearly showed me at a full stop until I was jolted in to the intersection. I got 3000$ for pain and time compensation plus my whole car value (it was declared a total loss. Which led me to buy a pip. But moral of the story, get a dash cam

alekska and KK6PD like this.
  14. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes but they will suspend it If you don't provide proof within 90 days

KK6PD and bisco like this.
  15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Geeze, I was going to bring that up! Smart move with the dash cam! I just purchased one myself and it goes in as soon as I machine a mount adapter!
    SMART MOVE for everyone. It's sad we now need these things, but.... glad they are there!!!

16. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd like to see your set up for the dash cam i am thinking of one with a gyro and vid in so i can also record footage from the back up camera simultaneously

17. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In calif, you can post a bond, $35k I think and not have insurance.

18. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where oh where has that rankinfitch gone, where oh where can he be?

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got my dash cam, installing soon! They are so cheap, and small, everyone should have one :)

20. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did you buy it? How much was it?