1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally added the EV mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JimboK, May 26, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure what a canister hack is, but no matter. What you describe in the first paragraph is exactly how I use mine -- not to accelerate or pulse, but to glide at sub-S3/S4 temperatures.

No worries about long-term damage either. I'm curious though: Why use it from your driveway to the main road? On first startup, I generally let the ICE run to get through S1 as soon as possible (which with my engine block heater might be as little as 30 seconds), especially with high power demands that might begin while still in S1. This might avoid the choice of punching it hard or pulling SOC down, or at least reduce the time needed for either.

2. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't have an EBH, so my engine always starts cold. From my driveway to the main road is about 1/4 mi and slightly downhill. My driveway is a very large hill of about 20' high at about 30 degrees. When I start my Prius, it will always use the ICE to get up my driveway and once that happens I can't engage EV mode. I usually just turn off my prius then quickly turn it back on and engage EV mode. I will the use maybe .5 to 1% SOC to pick up some speed and glide down my .25 mile long street to the main road. This road is almost always busy with times to turn onto it upwards of 60 seconds, so the EV mod works great to avoid needless idling. Thanks for the re affirmation Jimbo, I guess I'll stick with my current system since it works for the both of us.

The canister hack is something hobbit, and ken designed (maybe others, sry if I'm missing your name) that fakes the engine temp to immediately transition into S4 without having the needed temperature of 159F. You can search for canister hack here in the forums, its pretty interesting stu
    ff.

3. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aha, I'm assuming you're referring to the "thermistor hack." That I am familiar with. (I previously searched for canister hack, and the only hit I got was your previous post.)

4. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ahhh yes you are correct, my mistake.

5. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sometimes I will press the EV button to take myself out of EV mode, and to my dismay, it does not register. This usually happens when I am gliding. Does anyone else experience this from time to time?

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    tom1l21,

In my experience -- 1 year with the EV mod -- refusals to drop out of
    EV mode are recurring, if not frequent. :confused:

At first, I was concerned, but all you have to do is a quick push-and-
    release on the go-pedal. You get three quick beeps and EV mode drops
    out, just like when you exceed 34 MPH. Because its so easy to drop
    out of EV mode this way, I quickly gave up trying to fathom what the
    conditions were when it was necessary. ;)

As you've discovered, making effective use of the EV mod is highly
    dependent on each drivers local conditions; route, elevation changes,
    traffic control signals, traffic load, start-up air temps, distance to start
    of steady state running, etc. Lastly, it takes an active and persistent
    effort to go through many scenarios to find what works best for you.

The EV mod is no silver bullet, but as you've discovered, it can reward
    persistent effort with a 5-10% FE/MPG improvement... :rockon:

Some of the time. :p

7. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It happened a lot to me before I replaced the switch as I describe earlier in this thread. It's not happened at all since then.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Do I need to disconnect the 12V battery?

I went to RadioShack to look at various momentary switches they have and eventually settled on 275-1556 which contains a red and a black switch. The red one feels soft but the black one gives a positive click which I like. The through hole only needs to be 0.27 inch diameter. I tested the switches with a multimeter: they both work for now. Time will tell if they last.

Question: Do I need to disconnect the 12V battery to do this mod? Is it OK to unplug the HV ECU H14 connector "live" (car IG Off of course)? Thanks!

9. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: Do I need to disconnect the 12V battery?

No need to disconnect the battery. I didn't disconnect mine, and I've not heard anyone else suggest the need for it.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  10. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I made trio of switches for EV activation using materiel already purchased using
    1. Junk Remote Control with a wire rat tail
    2. Wobble switch + LED with a wire rat tail
    3. Piano switch with built in LED with a wire rat tail
    LED On so that I can find it in the dark goes off momentarily when button is pressed.
    I am not allowed to post links to the pics.

11. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone explain in very simple terms where to buy EV Mode and who will install it { Dealer } ?

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you don't want to DIY then print out the instruction and bring it to your favorite dealer or car audio installer to see if they are willing to help. Good luck!

13. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks .... I will do that - Thanks again

14. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Ray66>

I just bought mine from juciedhybrid.com. Along with a few things for stability.

Here's the deal. This is real easy to put in. Instructions were sent in a step by step style, with color photos.

I really believe, if you have a small flathead screw driver, and a pair of pliers, you could install this in less than 10 min.

FYI: I installed the "cruise cancel" one. I did not have to remove anything but the right side ac vent and the glove box.