1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally comes the real Gen 5 Prius review

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Looks like he was posing for a photo with his lady while being silly. :LOL:

2. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm reminded of the skit way back on SNL- The thing that wouldn't leave

Roqu3 likes this.
  3. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Chances are they don't. Been driving with them adjusted for a couple months now and no one has flashed me, Yet I can see better with the low beams. Funny how real life stuff works out.

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can check it. Park it on a level road, walk 50 ft away, and look from a driver-position height.

5. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isnt that something the dealership is doing according to regulations and whatnot?

In europe we have the Adaptive High Beam ("Matrix LED") which might help a little bit but as far as I saw the implementation from Toyota is pretty outdated and cannot keep up even with established "budget" brands (Skoda -> VW). It only activates at higher speeds (> 40mph) anyway

6. HacksawMark

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    No, too subjective using that method. What exactly is "driver position height"? From a '23 Prius driver position height? From a full size pickup height? Or somewhere between? The key is to not have anyone flash you but still being able to see better, which is what I achieved.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That 40mph was in some versions of the G4 - from reading on here it changed (upwards?) during production.

The G5 manual says 15km/h / 9mph according to the G5 manual, and I've certainly seen the high-beams auto-engage at such speeds, although I couldn't swear about the AHB* functionality.

* Edit: Yes, I wrote AHB but meant AHS too...

#127 KMO, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  8. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @KMO
    Thanks for the correction - then I mixed it up somehow. How would you rate the AHS and visibility?

EDIT: I meant AHS (Adaptive High Beam System) but wrote AHB (Automatic High Beams)

#128 AndersOne, Dec 1, 2023
  9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The AHS seems pretty effective - I've been able to just leave it on auto all the time, and haven't yet found the need to override. High beams (and low beams) come on readily enough; hard to see directly how good the high-beam shuttering is, but no indications of any complaints from oncoming traffic so far.

Visibility - it's fine. I don't have experience of any modern comparators, so can't really say much more meaningful than that :)

#129 KMO, Dec 1, 2023
    AndersOne likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d use compact sedan/hatch position; if it’s ok for them it’ll also be ok for F150 cab.

Gokhan likes this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, most people will be too kind to flash you. Subjective or not, it is a good test—probably better than any other way of evaluating it. You actually see how your car appears to other drivers. I have seen too many blinding headlights lately. I am sure you don't appreciate it when you are staring into someone's headlights at a red light.

12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Automatic high beams (AHB) work incredibly well on my 2021 Prius Prime Limited with TSS 2.0. The image-processing AI algorithm is excellent in detecting others cars in front of it. It is one of the most useful safety features on it.

2020 and earlier had TSS 1.0. They had AHB, but perhaps the cutoff speed was different.

On mine, cut-on and cutoff speeds are 34 km/h and 27 km/h, respectively. You don't need AHB at low speeds anyway.

Gen 4 Prius Prime has quad LED headlights. High beams illuminate very well. Low beams are good but not great.

#132 Gokhan, Dec 1, 2023
    AndersOne likes this.
  13. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Gokhan
    Sorry, I meant AHS not AHB. I fixed my post now but KMO got it anyway - probably hes one of the first ones here in the forum able to test it as its not available in the US. The only reviews I could find were some Corollas and b4ZX which probably has the same system.

Gokhan likes this.
  14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Interesting. Adaptive high-beam system (AHS) is not available in the US, probably because of DOT regulations.

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the (non-US) G5 has changed the physical AHS system significantly from the (non-US) G4s, and you can see some previous discussion of that on the forum if you search.

It's still a single horizontal line of 12 LEDs for the main beam, plus 7 for the low beam, rather than a fancier much-higher-resolution 2D matrix as some cars now have.

Maybe some of the software has changed though, such as speed thresholds. (The speed thresholds can be adjusted somewhat with a scantool).

The basic functions remain turning off selected LEDs to "shutter" for traffic ahead, changing the horizontal spread based on speed, and directing more towards the side when cornering.

A couple of functions I'm not sure that the G4 had are high-beam adjustment for rain conditions (not sure how it adjusts, but it's in the service manual and configurable!), and adjustment of low-beam cutoff based on distance to preceding car. (Including that under "AHS" is a bit of a misnomer).

The latter's quite spooky - you can see the cut-off tracking the back of the car in front of you, regardless of distance, or topology.

AndersOne and Gokhan like this.
  16. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Gokhan likes this.
  17. HacksawMark

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    And the correct "driver position height" is........what?

Where I live, people don't think twice about flashing you. Some are complete morons, just leaving their brights on no matter how many times they get flashed.

18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @Mendel Leisk has answered that question.
    Or perhaps they readjusted their headlight aim. ;)

19. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I find the lows great the highs too centered. I didn’t know my Safety Sense P had auto high beams. If it does how do I turn that off?
    I want auto leveling, the 10 Venza had that I think. I can do the high beams without help, but can’t level the beams.

20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you didn't know, chances are that it is off. There is a dedicated switch to the left of the steering wheel, and the light-switch lever must be in the high-beam position. There is an indicator on the MFD when that is done and AHB is on.

Incidentally, when an older couple driving a Prius Prime once talked to me because we had the same color (when I had my silver 2020 XLE), and they told me that the AHB was their favorite feature of their car.

There is no leveling.