1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally comes the real Gen 5 Prius review

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don’t like auto on off headlights either. It’s like, I am still alive, right? I’ll see about making sure AHB is off now, without searching the manual. Thanks so much for the time saved. An older couple said AHB is their favorite feature , not driving in ev, not needing to put gas in, not rear parking sensors, camera, etc? Their absolute favorite thing is auto high beams.

2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    If you mean blinding oncoming vehicles, then I'd say they either adjusted their aim poorly or they just don't care, which would put them in the moron group.

3. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have never been a fan of the AHB feature. Had them on a couple past vehicles and I thought it behaved erratically. Either they wouldn't come on when they should or they would not turn off quickly enough and oncoming traffic would flash you.

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Really? Auto-on headlights are indispensable for me. Unfortunately it is not available on the LE/SE trims, which are the trims with the higher fuel economy/longer BEV range. It is not that hard to forget to turn your lights on.

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Really? They work flawlessly on my Gen 4 Prius Prime. Perhaps they changed something on Gen 5?

6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

#146 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i find ahb don't come on until it's too dark out. i'd prefer the opposite

8. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AHB is in the LE-

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, TSS 3.0 features, including auto high beams, are welcomely standard across the trim Prius HEV and Prius Prime PHEV trim lines, with the exception that Prius HEV lacks front-traffic collision alert, lane-change assist, and traffic-jam assist.

However, as I said, LE/SE unfortunately don't have auto-on headlights, which I find to be one of the most important safety features. It is not difficult to forget to turn your headlights on. It is mandatory in Canada and probably also in the EU, but in the US, Toyota gets away with by scrapping a cheap but crucial safety feature that almost costs nothing extra.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our '10, I turned my lights down to parkers-only a few weeks back, when doing a u-turn on a residential street, to avoid glaring in somebody's windows. Then drove the rest of the way home thus. :oops:

Can that still be a thing with the new Prius?

Gokhan likes this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In the US, the trims except LE/SE have an auto-on function. All trims have manual control. You can also turn the DRL off.

In Canada, all trims have the auto-on function as well as manual control. Moreover, you cannot turn the DRL off. There is no way to turn off all lights and go stealth. Either the DRL is on or the headlights are on.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turn timer when you turn off the vehicle to 0 seconds and leave the lights on. They will turn on when you go to ready and off when you shut down and open the driver's door.

Each time I drive I pass several people with DLR on and NO rear lights. DRL should make the vehicle safer, not but not if people run them at night with no tail lights... Thankfully, many cars have rear reflectors.

Mendel Leisk likes this.