1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally decided any help would be greatful

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by iron-icman, Aug 14, 2016.

1. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    After about 13554642 millions of years I have now decided to get a Toyota Prius gen 3.

I have been undecided for a long time my dad has electric vehicles including the leaf and the env200 I did test drive the leaf and loved it but just range wasn't enough anyway yes then I narrowed it down to the gen 2 and the gen3 and have now decided I prefer the styling of the gen3 and extra features.

Is there anything I should know or look out for when I go look for one I would be getting the t-spirit.

Thank you in advance

Any help would be appreciated and your experiences with the gen 3.

Does anyone also know of any for sale in the U.K. On here can't seem to find the selling and buying page.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would start with a test drive of a new one, preferably gen 3 if you can find one, to get a feel for the car. then, when you find one you're interested in, reset trip a or b, and take a good long drive under various conditions, putting the car through its paces. the average mpg at the end is a good indicator of current health. and make sure you get 2 fobs. all the best!(y)

iron-icman likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Fobs are the car's "key" btw. Replacing one through the dealership will cost around $200~400.

If you're buying a used gen 3, things I can think of:

Just look it over: try to get a feel for how it was treated. Look in the corners, around the door and hatch hinges, door sills, floor mats, pedals. Any sticky zones on the dash? Upholstery fairly clean? Try applying/releasing the parking brake pedal. Check the hatch (boot?) opening/closing action. Are the door/hatch hinges thick with grease? This can be indicative of a dealership serviced car that never sees much owner attention.

Look the tires over. Are they all the same brand/name? Anything untowards?

Pop the hood (bonnet?) and look things over. Is it ridiculously clean? The latter likely means it was steam cleaned. This doesn't mean much, except it indicates a service department more interested in cosmetics. Slathering the tires with tire shine is a similar ploy, just food for thought.

Bring along (or ask for) a paper towel. Pull the engine oil dipstick, and lay it down for about 5 minutes, then reinsert, pull out, and check the oil. While waiting you could pop the engine air filter snaps, pull up the cover and have a peek at the filter.

Look under, from the front. The car has a plastic underpanel. Does it look complete, intact? A little bit of chew-up is invariable, but it shouldn't be too serious or extensive.

In the hatch area: lift out the floor panel, then the underfloor tray. Check that the spare tire is there, looks relatively clean/new. Also take a look at the 12 volt battery, and it's cables, in the right-rear corner. Verify also that the jack equipment, lug wrench and locking nut socket (if equipped) are all present.

Take it for a test drive. Try the air conditioning. Listen for unusual sounds, brake feel, what not. When you get back, get the salesman to run through the exterior lights, make sure they're all ok.

4. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Wow thank you so much you have given me lots of tips to look for and what to do how are all of you enjoying your gen3 Prius I'm hopefully going to keep it for many years to come so I'm sure if I look after it it will keep going and going

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm helping a friend look for a used 3rd gen Prius, but finding the used market to be stronger than I expected, considering the deals that I've been seeing on new Prius's over the past year or 2. I'm in California, so my comment won't reflect the OP's situation in the UK, but it still surprises me.

iron-icman likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might also consider a used Plug-In Prius if avail in UK.
    As far as Gen3, if it was US I'd say get one new enough to have some time left on the 8-yr warranty but not sure UK situation.

7. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Hi I can't afford the plug in one and a new Prius is expensive too looking at getting a used one with around 80,000 miles on it

8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I may be obsessive, but if a Prius passed Mendel's excellent list, I would then get a Prius-knowledgeable independent mechanic put it on a lift and then check everything underneath while you watch and ask questions. That check should include removing the plastic undershield and checking eCVT fluid level and condition, check for any frame rust, damage, or other abnormalities. I would also ask that the mechanic evaluate the status of the high voltage battery while under load using a mini-VCI and computer during a test drive. A compression check would also be nice. I would expect to pay $200 for such an evaluation, but I would consider it money well spent.
    Good luck!

iron-icman likes this.
  9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    its 10 years in California

iron-icman likes this.
  10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most important thing is making sure the oil has been changed at the 10,000 mile mark, if not sooner, and that Toyota Oil has been used.

11. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Why does it have to be Toyota oil or is that what you just recommend. I just want a car that will last me over here there around £8,000 so I need something reliable and efficient and hopefully this is that.

I was interested in the gen2 but I think I'm going to want to stay with the gen3 for longer can't wait to join you guys

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah oil is oil That said, Toyota oil's (by a landslide) the cheapest option for me, and it's got a good reputation.

iron-icman likes this.
  13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if UK models are the same as US, but some minor issues were addressed in the 2012 model year concerning rattles and squeaks. They also included more standard features, Bluetooth being one of them, I believe on the base (package 2) Prius. You can tell if a car has Bluetooth by looking at the steering wheel and seeing if it has the phone controls.

Toyota oil doesn't matter. All oil these days are good. I run Mobil 1 and change once a year, or about 14,000 miles, but it probably doesn't really matter. Blackstone Labs oil analysis says particulates and TBN are great.

iron-icman likes this.
  14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil is not Oil, Toyota and Mobil designed the oil for the Prius, it has its own unique additive package.

15. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Uh huh. That's what the salesman told you. Tell me, why is Toyota oil required? Do you think Toyota is in the oil formulation business? Why would they design an engine that requires proprietary lubrication?

You can't tell me what's unique about the additive package because it's proprietary info...

16. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, its been stated by Toyota, just like Honda oil is produced with their own additives as well. You don't think each oil on the market has their own additives that they think is best.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm using bulk Toyota 0W20 in a Honda too. It doesn't mind.

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Kinda like gasoline. Does the local Qwik Serv have engineers behind the scenes specially formulating gas? Or their own oil platform and refinery distilling their special blend?

Redpoint5 likes this.
  19. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Think we are a bit off topic now ha ha how are we all enjoying the Prius and how many miles have you done

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our usage has slowed a lot, the car has a bit over 60,000 km's. No surprises, still feels very solid.

iron-icman likes this.