1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally finished rebuild! The good and bad

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by freshedie92, Feb 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay so I finally finished my engine rebuild thanks to danlatu's post. I took video along the way and plan to make a how to. I learned a lot along the way and glad to have this thing running.

Good news
    It starts quick doesn't give me any unusual noises. So I think the engine is solid. So far.....

Bad news:
    I have a check hybrid system, and it's running on pure ice power. The engine does not shut off and there is no electric assistance. I have mini Vci at home, but I didn't check it because it ran normally last night. Just wondering if maybe there's something I forgot to connect.

I noticed that when I remove oil cap it makes a similar noise as before, hurricane winds. But now I noticed it's suction not blow by. Is that what all other prii do?

I didn't change the rear main seal and I think it's leaking. Drop the transmission? Any recommended sealers?

Questions? I'm officially an expert lol

SFO, Mendel Leisk, 4est and 1 other person like this.
  2. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well block 1 looks weak. It varies in voltage quickly depending on charging/discharging cycle.

Recommendations? Swap or deep cycle that cell. I had checked the modules prior to it sitting for months. It was strong and even. This sucks :(

Attached Files:

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like a bad cell in one of the modules:(.

What was the INF code associated with the C1241 code when you click on the snowflake icon?

SFO likes this.
  4. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whats the significance of INF code
    I will connect my scanner and look up the code when I get home.

Im thinking Ill just replace the cell, do you recommend a pair or just the single cell that is bad. Any recommended places to buy? ebay?

As far as suction from the oil cap, are you experiencing that? You can tell that its suction by placing the cap on the hole and either it stays or gets pushed off.

5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The INF code gives you more direction on next steps:).

I would buy from a reputable source, like @jeff652 , @ericbecky or @TMR-JWAP ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be happy to send module(s) your way
    Feel free to call me at 608-729-4082 to talk through a few things first.

Any chance you checked the voltage by hand at the terminal of the modules in that block?

Did you dismantle the pack previously?
    Just thinking of ruling out other issues like corrosion or an improperly tightened fastener as opposed to a failed module.

Do you have a whole-pack, or a hobby charger?

7. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Btw thanks for the help erickbecky :) pm'ed

Okay so I got into the battery today and what a surprise I find. The modules are from 2006 and clearly marked from a rebuilder.

Module 2 voltage was low so I removed it and it was moderately swelling. I replaced with module from 2007 after I charged it to 8.0v to match the rest.

I took it on a short drive and found that the SOC was going up and down like crazy. I thought that the module I put in was the culprit.

I did some testing with techstream but it appears that the entire pack is going up and down quickly in relative sync. .2v max deviation. This was while I was testing SOC between 2 and 3 bars. Parking brake on and allowing battery to deplete and charge.

I think this means my battery is a good candidate for charge discharge cycling. Does that sound right?

Side note: driving with bad battery for a week was very manageable I got 36 mpg. I noticed at a couple points while on the freeway that throttle was reduced, while going up steep mt. I maintained 50s, and on flat terrain acceleration was slow but I could maintain 70s. Interesting experiment for sure.

8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have the Prolong equipment and have helped with 2 pack rebuilds. This is the equipment to have;).

From the above, you already have a rebuilt pack, so the Prolong equipment will help minimize the down time (y).

SFO likes this.
  9. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wish we were closer to each other :(. So in your opinion this is an ideal candidate for charge discharge? I have the simple discharged and hybrid automotive original cube charger. I just lack the harness for gen 3. Either I order harness or pull the battery and set it in front of a fan and charge discharge with my own harness. For time sake I'll probably rig my own harness.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it out and put a fan on it.

SFO, Raytheeagle and freshedie92 like this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You have all the other equipment, why not get the correct harness:whistle:?

Then you’re good to go:).

But you can always cobble something together and use a fan to condition the pack(y).

SFO likes this.
  12. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    where is the video did you and up posting it and the how to?