1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally Good MPG after approx. 17,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mark Rogers, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Mark Rogers

Mark Rogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just wanted to get back to the forum re: my lousy MPG when I first got the car.
    I tried removing my roof rack, inflating the tires more, engine block heater, and was already driving slowly, coasting as much as possible before anticipated stops, etc.
    I am sure each of these items helped (the grill blocking most, and EBH 2nd). Prior to grill blocking, I got as bad as 18-22mpg per tank the first winter. After doing everything I had suggested, I only broke 50mpg for one or two trips the first year.

Somewhere around 17,000 miles, I started getting much better mileage whether I tried or not. I got around 50.5 mpg all the way from Michigan to Virginia Beach last Summer --often going 75mph on the interstates. I need to try putting the Thule Aerobar roof rack back on & see if it affects mpg much.

Toyota's tech support told me that PREMIUM fuel WILL definitely help mpg, but CONSUMER REPORTS said it doesn't make a difference. I'm inclined to doubt consumer reports.

Thanks again to everyone who made helpful suggestions - esp. to Wayne Mitchell & Evan Fusco (& not the guy who blamed my mpg on me being an obvious 'leadfoot')...

Mark

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt premium fuel will help at all. It contains less energy then regular. The prius is not designed to use premium fuel, thus it can't take advantage of the higher compress-ability of premium to generate more power.

3. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, 18-20mpg? I would have taken it in for service at that point. I have 700 miles on my Prius. I am driving in 20 degree weather here in New England and I am getting currently 47.2mpg. (48 on the last tank)

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I too can't see how premium fuel would make any difference. Now, I can definitely see how "bad gas" could lower the fuel economy, but regular 87 octane fuel as long as it is good fuel, should be perfect.

5. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Premium fuel should help, but IT'S NOT WORTH THE PRICE DIFFERENCE. That's what Consumer Reports means - the performance increase is tiny, and is much, much smaller (percentage-wise) than difference you pay per gallon.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Mark,

See the Hybrid13 Fuel and EVAP System.pdf file on autoshop101.com which provides numerous Toyota tech training documents. Page 3-4 of that document recommends use of 87-octane regular unleaded gasoline and says, "Do not use premium gasoline. It may cause starting problems with the Prius. There is no gas mileage benefit when using premium gas!"

Regarding your problems with low mpg until your car logged 17K miles, I am wondering if your rear parking brake was dragging slightly, and this finally cleared after your car logged that many miles.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota, or some dealer's employee? In either case that is not what Toyota's documentation says. Save your money.