1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got a 2007 Prius after 9 yrs, 3 mo on PC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Chuck., Jan 11, 2016.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could this be a record for longest PC member to get a Prius? 9 years and 3 months.

I joined originally to find out about the HSD - alien to a Honda guy (74 Civic, 86 CRX HF, 88 CRX HF, 2000 Insight, all manual sticks.) Later I would get caught up in PHoP, but I remain very much into hybrids and fuel efficiency.

My last drive on my 5-speed silver 2000 Honda Insight was the week before Christmas. Yellow lights can be trouble - I and a Dodge Ram could not quite move left from each other enough. The pickup had no damage - it's right front tire struck my right front tire so hard that wheel was pointing 15 degrees from the other front wheel. Distraught, I limped home. I elected not to report to the police.

Started on a new job with intensive training - money is tight for now. I initially paid $900 for a banager of a car - he was a scammer. :mad::mad::mad: By then, the insurance made the predicted verdict on my 15-yr car: totaled - just like the CRX before it - both with over 240,000 miles. I got my valuables out of the Insight and kissed it like it was a beloved workhorse of our ancestors. I fully intended to refurbish it, but it would run about $10K, including a battery pack dead over four years - yes, Honda can run with the hybrid system out.

Wanted to get a car I'd want to hang on that's not butt-ugly basic transportation, past searches revealed it's possible to get a Prius for under $4000. The challenge is getting one with a healthy battery pack. As some have said here, big dealerships often dump problem cars to small warehouse dealerships...some of those problem cars are older hybirds with packs needing repair...let the buyer beware!!!

Saturday I visited a small dealership, and it was a mistake that bordered on a 2nd disaster (1st one the scam.) The 2004 was on the lot for two months @ $3500 - paint and interior job not as good as the online ads. Worse, the SOC graph went thru 8 of 9 bars, instead of maybe 2...Matt of TexasHybridRepair said the battery pack is on a death rattle. For a little more, I could have purchased a Prius at Pat Lobb in McKinney with a 3-month warranty, but this religiously-maintained car was taken. :cry: It was 5pm Saturday, and I visited another tiny dealership on the way home like the one with the half-dead battery pack. This time, the SOC was blue, two bars under the max and steady most of the 15-mile, 15-minute trip. Got the car the next day. I suspect the Pat Lobb Prius was better, but it's a 2007, when Toyota made improvements to the battery pack durability. The condition is good enough it makes sense to detail it, invest in it.Paid $3900 before tax/title.

In 1-2 years, I might consider the plug-in kits, but already know some companies that did this are shuttered. Main thing is I have a car that I can easily get 55 mpg, which is not too far from the 60-70 my Insight would do in winter driving. Driving will be fun again. I'll do things the Insight could not do, but have fond memories of things the Insight could do, like 100mpg @ 50mph on an extended summer road trip. I would have loved to have had both, but from a financial point the wreck might have saved money over the long run.

Don't know what my car plans are. Again, I might make this one a plug-in, but perhaps, it might be the 'lifeboat' car in a few years after getting a new plug-in or EV. I was lucky Paulette loaned her car during this time....she has taken an interest in the Prius, esp when I told her the Pontiac Vibe is really a Toyota Matrix the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) is based on.

Tech question: I'm trying to find the display for the air pressure, or is that Touring editions only? (mine is a 2007 base)

#1 Chuck., Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
    Road Rash, Dino33ca and mmmodem like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never realised you didn't have a Prius! Well congrats on finally getting one!

There is no display for the Gen 2 Prius for tire pressures. It's just a dummy light.

3. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any good tire pressure kits for Gen II Prius?

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on getting a Prius!

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beats my record.
    I originally discovered Prius Chat around 2009 when researching what my "next" vehicle might be. However in 2010 bought a Honda Fit instead.
    Drove it for 3 years, then finally got my Prius.
    So I hung around and participated in Prius Chat for about 4 years without owning a Prius. But you've got me beat by 5 solid years.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Congrats on the Prius. I've got an image in my mind, an original (red) Insight, at a prominent corner of Westwood Honda's lot. The years fly by.

About the above quote, don't quite understand. A tire pressure gauge?

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    jeez! .... that post was nearly as long as the time it took you to get your Prius!
    ;)

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats chuck! welcome to the club. all the best with your new ride!(y)

9. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chuck,
    Glad to hear you found yourself a Prius my friend. I think a 2007 for under $4000 is a great deal. Let me know if you ever need anything for it.

Matt

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kits? as in pumps? Err, I just picked up a random pump with a 12V connector at the local car parts store.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4 tpms and computer, with dash gauge?

12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I meant tire stems that transmit the tire air pressure to the dashboard

The first work commute it averaged 55 mpg in 80% non-freeway driving...my new job probably fits the Prius....the old job was mostly freeway - ideal for the Insight.

Know the basics from 20-30 hours of driving other drivers cars, but so much to learn on the Prius. Realized that running the heater can cool the engine out of auto stop at intersections.

#12 Chuck., Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My condolences for the untimely and unnatural death of your Honda.

My favorite old Honda was most recently spotted still running a couple weeks ago, just past its 29th birthday, with over 300k miles. While I gave it up more than six years ago, it later reappeared a few blocks away, and I've talked with the current owner several times. He was happy enough with it to be looking for others of similar vintage for family members, without success. I still see them running around locally, but apparently are not for sale.

Welcome to the real Prius world, not just PriusChat, I just wish it was under more voluntary circumstances. And thanks for your CleanMPG postings that I was reading before joining PC.

14. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats! I'm quite in love with the '07 here.

It sounds like you did much better than many Insight drivers with MPG. Most of the real-world averages I've seen of the 1st gen Insight are similar to those of the 2nd-gen Pri, if not below. Maybe you'll get better than 60 with the '07.

Any pics of the '74 Civic.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yes, it's very doable - with just a moderate amount of effort.

16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got 70.9 mpg returning from work, so 80 is a realistic goal when it gets warmer.

a silver one like this

[​IMG]

#16 Chuck., Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  17. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Scangage II reveals differences between the 2000 Insight and the 2007 Prius.

Insight coolant plateaus at 198-204F...Prius has not gone over 186F in freezing weather or even 60F days.

MPG Scangage function is useless on 5 speed Insight...lean burn. While the Prius reads it, Scangage cuts out when the ICE is off for long....any fixes for that?

#17 Chuck., Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got to mention this.

Monday the temperature dropped 20 F, and the low tire idiot light came on. I don't know, maybe the pressure decreased 2 psi. ;) Reminds me of much ado about nothing this time a year ago. So I did my patriotic duty and inflated the tires.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a grill block yet? My Gen3 likes to sit at 195F at highway speed, don't know if the Gen2 is the same.

The electric fan turns on at 202 or 204F.
    Is the whole ScanGauge shutting down, not just that one function? If so, it must not be in Hybrid mode.

20. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Starting to get into the XGauge functions on my ScanGauge II (Version 4.09)

Programmed the percentage of SoC, but still struggling on the others, particularly the accelerator pedal pressure.

On the SoC, it looks like my State of Charge has gone from 76% down to 50%, but is usually 68% - 59%....that's from the low green bar (2nd from top) down to the two blue bars under that.