1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FINALLY got hooked up a little bit... should I go farther?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JasonGoalie34, May 7, 2015.

1. JasonGoalie34

JasonGoalie34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey audiophiles.

I am a former big spender in car stereo. My 2006 Impreza was done with Morel Hybrid Ovation components, a Focal Subwoofer, and a high end Alpine deck/amp. Past vehicles have had Xtant amps, Eclipse and Image Dynamics subs, and Boston Acoustics components, to name a few. I been around the block a few times :).

(Note, I will not use JL or Rockford Fosgate, just a personal thing.)

Anyway, I made my first aftermarket stereo purchase in TEN YEARS (let's just say the financial decisions of a 33 year old are different than that of a 23 year old). This time I was looking to keep it on the inexpensive side while still being able to get rid of that godawful JBL system.

So I kept my choices to the major brands, and took the first step. Oddly enough I'd never had a Kenwood product in my life, so I figured I'd give 'em a try. Got me a KDC-BT318U and a pair of KFC-P709PS components from Crutchfield (I know they're not the cheapest but I love the tech support). Integrated them into the stock JBL amplifier (cost me $7.50 extra, so why not...)

Result is pretty damn good! Obviously, I'm used to a little more on the low end, since I have yet to add a subwoofer... still, the bass is pretty solid, the Bluetooth and audio options on the deck are fantastic, and the silk dome tweeters are much easier on the ears.

Should I take the next step? That would be a 4 channel amp and a small subwoofer (perhaps a shallow mount 10" sub in a flat box). Not looking to win any competitions, just looking for full sound.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but you must wait.

For the harvest moon and a sign from the gods.

3. JasonGoalie34

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, quite the grasshopper I am. True audio Nirvana I seek. Though I just got the deck and the components put in 48 hours ago, so I will definitely be taking some time to make the decision.

That said, the items I have in mind (Yeah, I'm window shopping, so sue me), would probably cost me less than $400 installed. Total investment would be $750. That's not bad at all, especially compared to that $2500 system in my Subie nine years ago.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever makes you happy. That you can afford.

Perhaps my only concern would be that you are starting to make a significant investment into the "entertainment" portion of an 11 year old Prius. Do you plan on keeping it a significant time longer?

If the answer is YES...invest away and have fun.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
    I probably shouldn't respond to this thread as admittedly I'm NOT an audiophile.

In fact I "enjoy" the fact that I think my hearing has deteriorated to the point that I can't significantly hear the difference between Quality and "Sucks". Sucks....is so much cheaper to purchase and maintain.

Who's say's there aren't benefits to aging?

#4 The Electric Me, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. JasonGoalie34

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your honesty, TEM.

To echo you while answering your question... YES. I've got a scant 74,000 miles on her, and hoping for for 200K+. My Prius is my power commuter, so adequate entertainment [even though my standard for "adequate" may be obnoxious to most] is all but a necessity.

My business has been doing good lately, and I'm generally a money saver, except that monster I've been parking next to my Prius as of a month ago... oh yeah... my Tundra :).

I'm not chomping at the bit, but it sure would be fun to have a full mobile theater experience again.

6. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple answer is don't. I used to have a car full of Image Dynamics, and just when I got my hands on some Alpine F1 gear my wife went and got pregnant (to me just to avoid any confusion). Listening to the Wiggles and other mind numbing let me stab my eyeballs out with a lollipop stick children's music really saps the will to live. Now I have factory systems in both cars and am happy.
    The kids have thank you god graduated to modern music, and even now I don't have the urge to install. But every now and then I do look slyly at the cupboard of goodies and wonder what if. Then 3 kids and a mortgage snap me back to reality.
    If you must then drop a sub in there and be done. Find something else to throw your money at - I recommend home theatre.