1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally Got My Hybrid Water Pump Replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bikeman, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi All,
    At last I got my 06 in to the dealer the replace the HV water pump. The past two trips I scheduled the visit, I dropped the car off, and upon my return they claimed they couldn't do it because they had no pumps available!! Duh! So this time I made them confirm they had a pump and put my name on it so it would be waiting for my car. At any rate, my question: They mention on the work order SLLC2 under parts, does that mean they had to replace the HV coolant? I am due for a coolant change, it would be great if they did that part for me!!! Anybody have a clue?

Thanks in advance.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are "supposed" to replace the coolant for this job but most often stealerships have been just clamping the hoses on either side of the pump, swapping out new for old, bleed the line, and then they add a few ounces of coolant (maybe some just add water) to top off the reservoir to the full mark.

3. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I called the CSR at the dealership and asked him if they changed the coolant, he said no, they just clamped off the hoses and topped off the system, just as you said. I then tracked down the TSB from Toyota, which clearly discusses draining the reservoir, refilling with fresh coolant, and purging the system. I am thinking I am going to print it off and take it in and tell 'em to flush my damn HV system per Toyota. What ya' think?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the dealer can charge Toyota for the coolant and the labor associated with draining and refilling the coolant, that is a reasonable request.

Worst case, they will say OK to you, but not take any action...

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just had the same service. The original pump worked fine for 97,000 miles, and only got replaced because they offered the free service. I'm ok with not getting a free coolant service as part of the deal.

They did try to upsell the air filters and the mechanical water pump. The coolant was down about an inch, which I figure is fairly good for 7 years/97,000 miles. I can't see any leakage, but I'll be watching the level carefully now.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Surely the whole point of Toyota saying use fresh coolant is because the condition of the pump and fluid being removed is unknown.
    The old pump bearings may have started to break up putting debris into the fluid, and the fluid act as a lubricant for the pump. That fluid if not changed could damage the new pump and is liable to have lost some of it's lubricating properties during it's life, shortening the life of the new pump.
    I believe you should return the car and ask for the fluid to be changed as Toyota's instructions under your eyes. If they will not do this contact Toyota customer care regarding the situation.

John (Britprius)