1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got my Prius.....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by The Electric Me, Apr 24, 2013.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats! It is like reuniting with long lost brother. /drama

Did you get a good deal though?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well honestly? If you are trading in a 3 year old vehicle...which I took excellent care of...is it really a matter of getting a good deal?

The dealership I purchased from was running a "50" Prius 2's available at an advertised low price. Which was a good buy in price.

Since I did not want to deal with selling my Fit private party, I traded it in. This is never a "good deal" scenario, regardless of what a dealership will tell you.

Let's put it this way...I drove and enjoyed my Honda Fit for 3 years, I traded it in for about 6,500 less than I paid for it brand new 3 years ago....

So the way I'm looking at it...is almost like a lease. I got 3 worry free years of driving the Fit, for a cost of about 6,500...and now I am in a brand new Prius.

Was it a good deal. No....it almost can't be. The advertised buy in Price was good, and the dealership did not try to upsell me in any aggressive manner. The dealership made their money on this deal by getting an excellent Honda Fit, which I'm sure they will sell for a few thousand more than they gave me.

I get the benefit of a reset on a new car...with a factory warranty...and I believe a hybrid upgrade to a vehicle I have long desired. From that POV....it was a good deal. I'm not unhappy at all with the deal....but it certainly would of been a smoother more economical move to have bought my Prius originally 3 years ago. I traded in early....that's never really a good deal.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  3. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Funny, I love the steering wheel on my prius, but then again mine may be much different than yours. I have a 5 tech package with softex. Not sure if that means the covering is different or not, but the button layout is for sure. Anyways, I think it's great.

4. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    trust me

steering wheel on base option is just.. :mad:

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah...with the Prius 2 entry level you don't get the Softex.

Infact you don't get a covering at all. You get the horrible plastic that for some reason it seems Toyota decided to give a scratchy blister inducing feel. I've had plastic steering wheels before...but this is the worst.

For those of you old enough to remember the original "Poseidon Adventure" using the Prius steering wheel immediately reminds me of Gene Hackman trying to close the valve wheel at the end of The Poseidon Adventure. It's that bad.

Good news is my wheelskin has arrived...just waiting for the weekend and some nice long time I can apply to actually installing it.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might consider 'writing a note to self' to have the transaxle oil changed at 5,000 miles with the first engine oil change. For good measure, bring a dry water bottle and ask for a full cup. You don't have to send it for analysis but my first change revealed some early viscosity loss and left over debris that I was glad to get out. It is entirely optional but an early change is more of a flush and sets you up for a much longer, transmission life.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats!
    Great Color Choice!:D

8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've got the side moldings and no noticable dings yet after two years of use in LA, it's a miracle, and I don't park out in the back forty at Costco!

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats Electric Me. We had a fit when you got the Fit. Good to see you in the Prius.

You can always change out the steering wheel (for a leather trimmed one or piano black JDM steering wheel).

If you must get side moldings, get the tapered version. The ones through the PC Shop suck. Otherwise, the clean look is the best.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! how did i miss this until today? congrats man! now maybe you'll start partaking in some opinions.:p i do agree on the commercials, saw a honda one the other day that made me LOL.

11. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At long last The Electric Me has fallen to the dark side.

dark side prius.jpg