1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got my Three, first drive and some thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by texasshawshank, Sep 13, 2016.

1. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After four months of z-turns, I finally received my Gen4 Three w/ ATP on Sunday. It's funny since the car was delivered all the way from California and it's my first Sunday car purchase experience.
    Now after 7 years, my beloved VW TDI formally retired and ready to be picked up by VW. I still love the car, its solid build quality, handling, torque and power, but I also love the newer technology and even better gas mileage :)
    I took it on my commute to work today, and it gave me over 63mpg, not bad :)
    There are some of my thoughts, a lot of which are in comparison to the outgoing Jetta:
    1: Handling: This is the first I noticed. Jetta still wins.Although toyota highlights handling on Gen4, it still lacks the grabbing feeling and stiff and accurate steering feel Jetta has.
    2: View. prius wins. Maybe it's a design philosophy. German cars tend to have higher window sills and dashboards, which obstructs views. Japanese cars are better in comparison.
    3: I have the moonstone interior, and I do find the white are in front of the steering wheel a bit bothering. (Maybe it takes a while to get used to?)
    4: Visor!!! This is my biggest complain. What is toyota thinking? With it flipped to the side it still leaves almost 1 foot of uncovered area. Today I tucked a piece of post card in the window, and I need to look for a better solution down the road.
    5: DRCC and LKA: I love it! it works very effectively and alleviates a lot of the stress.
    6: Noise: Much better than my Jetta. Usually quiet ride and too handling don't go hand in hand after all, I do appreciate the first more than the latter now.
    Overall, the Prius is the perfect day-to-day, duty car that brings you to places safely. I am looking forward to the journey ahead!

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4068.JPG IMG_4067.JPG

GaryD1, Rangerdavid, RCO and 5 others like this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations

RCO likes this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    A wonderful car ain't it!!:cool:(y)

RCO likes this.
  4. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why did it come all the way from the left-leaning liberal West Coast???

RCO likes this.
  5. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOL.
    That's because the right leaning red state doesn't have a single Three with AT package, as a matter of fact, it's the same for the whole gulfcoast area (TX, AR, LA, etc.)
    Further more, the local dealer totally screwed up my order. In stead of getting a 2016, they ordered a 2017, and they waited for two months to tell me that news. There is no way I can pay thousands more on literally the same car.
    To put the nail on the coffin, Prius doesn't sell AT ALL here. The fewer you sell, the less discount you receive from the manufacturer. Dealers here want to make the deal, but their offer just can't compete with the left Pacific coast.

RCO, Coast Cruiser and krmcg like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, great write up and pics! i picked up a window shade w/ suction cups at my toyota dealer. combined with a piece of paperboard and elastics, it's pretty mickey mouse, but works. all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For those that might not get the relevance of this, Texas has a "blue law" requiring certain businesses, including liquor stores and car dealerships, be closed on Sundays.

Just wait; after you and the car both get broken in more, cooler weather (less a/c use) will have arrived and boost your economy even more there in Houston.

RCO likes this.
  8. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for sharing your story. I bet you are very happy with the new car. I'm glad you were able to sort through the dealer mess.

9. JDenyer232

JDenyer232 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on your new ride, I too replaced a TDI with a Prius and am waiting for the buyback from VW. I got the Prius 2 as that is what best fit my needs and so far I love it. I'm getting 60+ mpg on my 70 mile round trip commute. Nice color, I really like that blue. I went with the Silver as that is what was available at the time, and I really don't care about color as long as it's not black. My TDI is black and I could wash it and in 1 day it looked filthy again:)

10. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As a new owner of a 3 also, I agree with your post, including about the visor. Even my cheap Kia had an extendable visor. I've been looking for something that I can attach to it as a permanent solution.

RCO likes this.
  11. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another grudge is the lack of lumbar support. While other car makers make it available from based model, toyota treats it as a premium feature.
    But, except for a couple of dumb things (the other being the visor), Prius offers HUGE value in its packaging. On my wife's GLC, we paid $1,500 for LED headlight, $1,500 for the roof, $4,000 for navigation, and we had to leave out Distronic as it would cost another $2,700, But Prius packed roof, DRCC, LKA in a package for less than 2k.
    As a matter of fact I could find another sub $30k car that offers them. Impressive.

RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  12. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe I read that all models of the 2017 Prius now include the Toyota Safety Sense as standard equipment, and the radar cruise also?

13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't yours have a lumber adjuster on the driver's seat? It's a small rocker button on the door side of the seat base.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that's correct.

And the Prius has one more advantage - It's the only one so far (as of August 2016) to have full-speed DRCC with TSS-P. The DRCC on the RAV4 and Corolla with TSS-P works within regular CC speed (above 25mph) while the Prius works down to 0mph.

Coast Cruiser, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  15. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

I have been researching lumbar / neck pillows recently and I think I found a winner here.

Dreamer Car Soft Memory Foam Lumbar Cushion Support & Neck Pillow Kit for Car Seat(Black)

Ok: well the Amazon link didn't work. Here's a pic.

image.png

FYI, I have a three w/ ATP also :)

Ok. Got the link to work finally...

Amazon.com: Dreamer Car Soft Memory Foam Lumbar Cushion Support & Neck Pillow Kit for Car Seat(Black): Automotive

I was thinking this lumbar / pillow setup since it's an all in one via quick release tabs and has the straps attaching the pillow to the lumbar to help keep it in place? Looks pretty comfortable too.

If not this one does anyone have any suggestions on other options?

#15 Blizzard_Persona, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  16. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought this on Amazon for the visor. It's probably your best bet. I posted a pic if the link didn't work. No Prime shipping.

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 5.25.06 AM.png

17. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought a pair of wrap around polarized sun glasses. They keep out the side light quite well. I've never worn proper sun glasses before and I rather like them. They are nice for when I use the sun roof too. I keep them in the driver side bottle pocket. It's a snug fit.

'LectroFuel, RCO and grape808 like this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I store my sunglasses on shop counters ... which is why I don't have any any longer. With prescription glasses, they don't work well anyway.

RCO likes this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not available via Amazon UK

20. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe they never put a sunglasses holder in the ceiling near the sunroof controls. I've had it in all my other cars, even my gen 2.