1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got steering recall work done. Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by NinnJinn, Aug 24, 2012.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally found time during the week that I could go 24hrs without needing my 2002 prius with 145,000+ miles

So I made an appointment with my local Toyota dealership after they got the part/parts in to do the steering recall work.

When I got the car back, of course all the tires air pressure was dropped ranging from 33-35psi from the 44 front 42 rear that I had them inflated to.

One major thing that I noticed and down right dislike, is that the steering is NOT what I am used to!! When I make a turn or go around a curve, unless I put the same force to center the wheel as I do to turn, it stays! I went to an empty parking lot and did a tight turn, let go of the steering wheel and it kept going in circle!!! and no I wasn't going backwards either. lol after going in a circle 4 times I sped up by 5mph, still same circle except the turning radius became a smidge bigger.

While in the parking lot driving 15mph, I tried steering with my knee, (sometimes while driving and no one is around on the road I will use my knee to hold the car steady to light a cigarette.) It was near impossible to do!

I drove the car 21 miles home, and I honestly believe that if an officer was behind me, he/she would have suspected I was driving under the influence.. The muscles in my forearms were sore from "fighting the wheel"

I have since gotten used to it, but I still don't like it.

I signed my papers for the recall work which the dealer said they needed to send in to get reimbursed. when I saw the bill for a little over $1600 I asked them about it and they said my car also had a recall to have the rack and pinion components replaced and assured me, it was no cost to me...

Is there something wrong with my car's steering? or is it due to never driving a vehicle with brand new steering?

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never had those problems when mine was done. It made a few weird noises for about a week but nothing like that.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Very interesting and one of the reasons I've not been one of the first to get my recall work done.

Bob Wilson

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I remember how it works from High School auto shop your car's camber needs to be realigned/alignment work. Or maybe something else entirely? The mechanic doing the work probably doesn't do work on GenI very often. Take it back! A car that doesn't return to straight on its own after a turn is not safe!

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  5. Drainedsoul

Drainedsoul New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not normal, but it did also happen to me.

Take the car back to them, tell them what's wrong, in my case they sound it was something with the EPS (Electric Power Steering).

At any rate, a few more hours at the shop and it was back to normal...