1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally! How to program a non-SKS key/fob. Detailed!

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by amethystjw, Mar 1, 2008.

1. curtwitt

curtwitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry if this has been posted. I don't think I have seen a simple yes or no to this question. If I have a SKS system and key with the silver logo and I want an extra key, can I use the non-SKS black logo key programmed by the approach suggested here? If so, will it interfere with my SKS functions?

Thanks for your answer.

Edit: I should say I have a 2005 Prius (US)

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The silver and black logo fobs use the same type of transponder. So they are interchangeable with regard to being plugged into the dash. The circuit boards are different, so you have to have the proper type for the remote/proximity functions to work.

3. curtwitt

curtwitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks RobH. As it turns out I had never read the posts on page 19 discussing the ability to program a new SKS capable key (silver logo) for all SKS functions. I have purchased two keys (one for each of two 2005 Priuses) and I will use that approach. This is a reasonable solution to the $300+ cost at Toyota. Thanks for all the great discussion.

4. curtwitt

curtwitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By the way, it seems that kpsounis' post regarding SKS keys should be placed in a thread titled "Finally, How to program an SKS key/fob. Detailed!" Otherwise, one has the impression that all of this has to do with the "non-SKS key/fob".

5. curtwitt

curtwitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: 2005 Prius Silver SKS Fob programmed!

My programming worked! I'm not sure precisely what I did because I didn't realized it had worked. I tried the original SKS programming instructions and couldn't get the second phase to work. Then I tried the "all four buttons at once" approach several times. Then I went to the approach posted above. Finally, I think I did a blend of the second and third, rapidly pushing both buttons on the old fob after pulling it out followed by pushing both buttons of the new fob along with them. The doors locked and unlocked several times but when I tried the new key lock or unlock nothing happened. So I went back to cancelling program mode and getting it back started again but as I was doing so I noticed the new key was blinking everytime I opened and closed the door. So I cancelled and then hit the new key lock button, it worked. From that point everything worked, lock and unlock and Smart functions.

By the way, I am using a key I got from Auto Transponder for $149. It is a new OEM Toyota key part number 89994-47061. I used it for a 2005 Prius with SKS.

6. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thank you for the full information about the SKS.

7. curtwitt

curtwitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

UPDATE: OK, like I said in the first post, I have two 2005 Prius' that needed extra keys. My daughter just got home and I did the second key programming on her car. I learned two very important things.
    1) You don't need to do the first pairing shown in the original SKS instructions. You can go directly to the second procedure (programming for door opening).
    Yes, it was a mistake. I forgot that part and just headed into the second part. When I finished it started the car and opened and closed the doors.
    2) I was successful doing the following: Put it into programming mode using the standard procedure. As stated in the prior post, upon removing the old fob from the slot, immediately push both the lock and unlock buttons on that fob, release, and then push both buttons on the new fob and hold for a few seconds. (The doors locked and unlocked several times in rapid succession, one or two when the key was removed, one or two for each set of buttons pressed). Then open the door to end the programming mode. Give it a minute or two. Try the lock button on the new fob. Mine worked. Then I brought the old fob in the house and made sure the smart unlock/lock and start functions worked. No need for the ignition programming separately.

8. curtwitt

curtwitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

UPDATE, YET AGAIN: Point number 1 is not entirely correct. My daughter just called me to say her key works fine as long as she doesn't put it in the slot. Apparently, when it is in her pocket or purse it works just fine. But when she puts it in the slot it is no longer recognized as a key. I have not had a chance to do the first programming step with that key but I will report back on whether it works or not. Either way, we have a second smart key, it is just not a dumb key :confused:

9. curtwitt

curtwitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I haven't had a chance to attempt to correct my daughters strange problem and I might not bother (she is happy just having it as a smart key). However, I just discovered another strange glitch with my Prius key programming on the other car. The new key works perfectly. But now we tried the old key that was used during the process and it is no longer a smart key. You have to push the buttons to open the door and the key has to be in the slot in the car to start it. Very strange.

Any suggestions to correct any of these problems?

10. Los

Los Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 07 Prius Base model NON SKS, On Ebay I ordered a Silver logo FOB, I couldnt get it programed to open and close the doors with the button, although I did program and did start the car. Sold it back on eBay since i couldn't do anything with it. I Won on ebay a Black Logo FOB, got it Programed to work the doors and ignition, I am happy. Also got a key blade on eBay for 5 bux so now I am set with my new extra key that I didnt have before. btw the instructions earlier on the thread worked for me :)

11. sdellafiora

sdellafiora New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope I'm posting this in the correct place ...

• I recently purchased a 2009 Prius and was given only one SKS key. The dealer said the previous owner had lost the other. I want to get another key and program it myself. But I've read that this cannot be done for a 2009 Prius. It supposedly required a special diagnostic tool or something similar. Does anyone know if this is true? If not, are the instructions for 2009 the same as the earlier years? If not, I guess I'm out of luck -- and a couple hundred dollars.
    • Incidentally, I have not seen any mention of programming a 2009 SKS key fob on this thread.

12. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, the SKS systems are:
    2004-5
    2006-2009
    2010-12

The 2G fobs you buy now at the dealer work with both 04-05 and 06-09.

You should be able to use the instructions.

13. Aydelette

Aydelette New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Slightly different problem: I have only one fob (don't ask because I don't know). For my 2004 Prius it was never a SKS. It still drives the car just fine, but suddenly does not do anything else. I changed the battery which caused short term commotion stopped by inserting the fob. The small red light now comes on. It still does nothing more than drive the car.

Do I need to reset it in some subset of this elaborate ritual?

14. Spartanacus

Spartanacus Junior Member

Sebastian a drinkin village with a fishin problem
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It worked! Bot a second "ebay" key for my 2004 ... after many many tries yesterday afternoon I gave up. Got up this morning and tried it again, the locking part - the starting part worked first attempt. The only change was a little longer than usual pause before hitting both buttons on the fob (more than 5 second delay). Only advice to give is to be persistent - must have repeated the locking feature 40 times!

Socks were off if that helps, howled at moon last nite and had an "Italian Roast" Keurig coffee set at 6 oz with me in the closed garage (garage facing North). good luck

15. sambarzilla

sambarzilla New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Worked Perfectly! Power Off and Power On worked the first try! The Unlock/Lock buttons took 4 tries - all in the timing of pressing and holding the two keys (I think).

Thanks a lot!

16. xolotl

xolotl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to add my own thanks to this thread - I got a replacement for one of my increasingly-bedraggled (and recently nonfunctional for remote lock/unlock purposes) original 2005 Prius fobs, and these instructions worked like a charm on a nice cheap $80 replacement from ebay. So yeah, many thanks!

17. Umar Farooq

Umar Farooq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello
    I recently bought a 2008 Prius Base model. It does not come with a smart key system. It came with one silver logo key. The remote can start the car but it does not lock/unlock the doors. I replaced the battery, but it still did not help. I would like to know:
    what color logo should the remote be for a non-SKS car?
    how can i get the remote to lock/unlock the car?

Thank You

18. Newsmom

Newsmom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOST BOTH key fobs. Oh &*()(@_! Will the chicken dance work without an old fob? Any hope short of towing to the dealer?

19. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might try finding a locksmith with equipment to program Toyota fobs. They do exist, and are probably cheaper than a dealer. Anyone who tells you that it is necessary to replace the security computer (ECU) is not up to speed on how to do a "seed reset".

The process requires a laptop computer plugged in to the diagnostic port of the car. The dealer program, Techstream, requires an access code ("seed") that is obtained from a secure Toyota website. Somehow, the car and the laptop have to meet - usually by towing the car to a dealer. Locksmiths are generally better equipped to travel to wherever the lock is, which would save the cost of towing.

20. Newsmom

Newsmom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    uhhhhhh. never mind ......... found the old fob, and have now done the Chicken Dance with the new fob; all is well...