1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally! How to program a non-SKS key/fob. Detailed!

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by amethystjw, Mar 1, 2008.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got 4 Gen II keyfobs, 2 original + 2 eBay used. It required a seed reset for each eBay keyfob.

2 people like this.
  2. m8cca

m8cca Junior Member

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you add the 2 eBay keyfobs at different time therefore needing 2 seed resets? If I get multiple used keyfobs, can all of them be added at the same time with just 1 seed reset?

I notice you are in the CA south bay near me. Where did you get your seed reset done? How much did you pay? I called a few dealers and the service advisors seems to be clueless on what a seed reset is.....

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The best place I know of to get keyfobs registered is at Luscious Garage | Blog | Full Service Prius Key Programming . They know what they're doing, and the price is the best I've heard of for a seed reset.

Another place to check is Art's Automotive in Berkeley. I couldn't find their article on keyfobs in my brief scan of the site, but I remember seeing one. The price should be similar to Luscious.

As you found out, most dealers don't seem to know about a seed reset.

Any independent shop that services Toyota/Lexus should have a Techstream scantool that can be used to add/delete keyfobs. The reset functions require a "Security Professional" account with Toyota, which independent shops may or may not have. Some locksmiths also have the equipment to do a seed reset.

1 person likes this.
  4. btmilan

btmilan New Member

One of my two keys went missing a few weeks ago (while visiting family 2000 miles away). The other was destroyed by my dog yesterday.

I don't have any keys right now (except for the metal door key).

The local dealership doesn't really know what is going on.

What do i need to do to get a new fob (non sks) working without an already working fob?

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there anything left of the destroyed keyfob? There is a transponder inside the keyfob that unlocks the Power button. On a 2010, you just hold it near the Power button. On a 2004-2009, you can plug the keyfob into the slot in the dash.

If a 2004-2009 keyfob is so damaged that you can't insert it in the slot, you could remove the transponder from it and use it by itself. You'll have to open up the case (sounds like the dog already started on that...). Take the case apart like you do when replacing the battery. Then split the case open with a pair of needlenose pliers inserted into the mechanical key opening. The glue holding the two halves of the case together will let go, leaving the inside exposed. The side without the circuit board has the transponder chip in it (red button end of case). Mount the transponder on something like a pencil (or tape it to your finger), and insert it into the keyslot all the way. Press the Power button and you're on your way. When you power off, press the keyslot again to unlock the mechanism.

The transponder alone is enough of the key to be able to add additional keys. If the circuit board is undamaged, then you could transfer it to another keyfob case and avoid having to reprogram the car for a different keyfob.

6. btmilan

btmilan New Member

I found the bottom half of the fob casing (the part with the battery) and the chip, but the chip had been chewed up a little. (Thankfully I thought to look one last time for the chip right as the snow started falling.)

I tried sticking the chip back onto the battery and casing, but it still wouldn't work. I thought maybe his chewing destroyed the battery, so I took a battery out of my wife's guitar tuner, and it worked!

So I can start my car now.

I cancelled my appointment for a new key fob, programming and a tow to the dealership (saved myself $450). Now all I need to do is find a new key for fairly cheap on ebay or something.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could get one for cheap?

7. awesomedave

awesomedave New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i want to buy a second key fob as i only have one for my prius. at the momemt i have a 2 button non sks key fob which has a model number B21TA. on ebay there are non sks keyfob's but they have a third red panic button the model number is B21TG does anyone know if there is a diffrence and if i will still be able to program this keyfob

8. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the only difference between the B21TA/G is the addition of the panic button. An American-spec B21TG should work fine in your AU-spec car.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The battery and circuit board are not used when the keyfob is inserted into the dash. In fact you could even totally remove them from the case and the keyfob would still work in the keyslot.

The sensor coil in the keyslot is on the bottom side, center of the keyslot opening. There are three positions for the keyfob in the slot, not in, halfway in, and all the way in. Maybe you couldn't get the damaged keyfob all the way in when you tried it with the old battery? The transponder needs to be near the center/bottom of the keyslot, and not blocked by anything metal. I've tried just a transponder scotch taped to a pencil and that worked. But when I taped the transponder to the eraser end of the pencil (with the metal part), it didn't work.

Another possibility is that the transponder chip is physically damaged. Slight twisting of it might make/break some critical connection.

As for where to buy a used keyfob, there are a few hundred postings on the topic, starting with this thread. The non-SKS version that you use is usually referred to as "black logo" in eBay postings. A "silver logo" one is for use with a SKS equipped car.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bet the difference is the case. The circuit board is probably identical, including the panic switch.

11. aWi

aWi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I'm also trying to program the american keyfob on an AU model.

I've got the ignition programming done first try, but can't for the life of me, get the door lock/unlock to program.

My 2nd hand american keyfob looks well used, so it may be down to the myth that they can only be programmed when 'new.'

I have tried:
    OP's method, and can get to 'add keyfob' stage.

and a few permutations to OPs method:
    a) Holding new fob's keys for different lengths of time
    b) Holding all 3 buttons (lock, unlock and panic).

I have also tried powering the car on and off twice during that stage of the process, (read on some e-How article)
    This resulted in the car locking/unlocking the doors 4 times, which doesn't match the pattern for adding a key.

Anyone else tried (and hopefully, successfully) programming a american model (with panic button) black fob for a AU or UK model car?

12. Eyeball Kid

Eyeball Kid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

13. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Firstly I wish to thank amethystjw and 05 Solar Prius for their original post and additional information. :rockon:
    My wife and I have a 2009 and a 2007 Gen II Prii without SKS as sold here in South Africa (which may be similar to the UK and Aussie Prii). After reading your posts I tried to add the 2 fobs for the 2007 to open remotely and start the 2009 and vica versa.
    The procedure below is the procedure that worked for me. The changes are indicated in red.

The Fob (for operating the car)
    This isn't hard, as long as your new fob is not broken and you are able to follow simple directions. The whole process will take less than two minutes.
    1. Insert old fob into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!
    2. Open and close driver door 6 times.
    3. Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point.
    4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set.
    5. Remove the new fob and you're done. You should test both fobs to be sure they work properly.

The Fob (for remotely unlocking/locking the doors)
    1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the driver door unlocked and opened. Other doors can be locked or unlocked, it doesn't matter.
    2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Close and open driver door twice.
    4. Insert and remove old fob once.
    5. Close and open driver door twice again.
    6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.
    7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time to turn car back off.
    8. Repeat step 7 once more.
    9. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point.
    10. Car should lock and unlock doors TWICE to verify it is in add mode.
    11. Press both buttons on old/new fob simultaneously for 4 flashes of the red LED on the fob.
    12. Within 3 seconds, press only the lock symbol button. yes it does matter which!
    13. Car should respond with one quick lock/unlock to verify that the new fob is all set. If the car responds with two lock/unlocks, that means it didn't work. I don't know how to troubleshoot that problem. Maybe just try again.
    14. Repeat steps 11 to 13 for each and every fob (old and new) that must remotely lock/unlock the doors.
    15. To end this programming, open a door or put the fob in the slot.

After reading some of the earlier posts on the 128 usage limit that prohibits programming the fob I thought that it would be impossible since both cars have been locked/unlocked and started more than 128 times. But now we have 4 fobs that can remotely lock/unlock and start either of the Prii. :D

14. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Concerning using a single fob for multiple cars, and needing two metal keys; my father used to make dual car keys. The cars he used only had one set pins in the lock, and the two sided key just made it work in either orientation. Thus, making a key cut for one car on one side, and the other car on the other side, produced a key that would work on both cars. Caveats: 1) I have no idea if the Prius lock works the same way, thought it seems likely given the limited space. 2) If you don't mark the key in an obvious way, you will always be putting it in the wrong way.

Zephan likes this.
  15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius doorlock uses 4 positions on the top of the key, and 4 on the bottom. A key that worked on two different cars would have a blend of the two key patterns, not just an exact copy of each key on dedicated sides. Could be done, but quite a project.

Zephan likes this.
  16. JonD

JonD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,
    I just got my used (but nearly new) fob to work 100% for door lock/unlock as well as engine start using the above instructions. I tried with the original version that was missing steps 1-4 but I'm not sure if these made any difference, as both times I got a single lock/unlock cycle to say I was in "add" mode.

What I did notice on the second (successful) attempt was that when I held down the two buttons together I got *two* flashes from the little LED light on the fob before I let go, and pressed the lock button.

So, big thanks! saved me a load of money :)

Best regards
    Jon

17. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that the Prius only has one mechanical lock, it would be far easier to just re-key your other Prii door lock(s) to fit the first one, then you can have as many as you want, and in addition, you wont have to figure out which side is which.

18. awesomedave

awesomedave New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have the same issue with my keyfob i am in australia have an american key with the 3 buttons
    i can program the key to start the car
    when i try to program the lock unlock i can get to the add mode but cannot get the key to accept it will not respond at all

anyone in australia had any luck with these imported keyfobs

19. benlinus

benlinus New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My first car having been a Type III '71 VW Squareback, I find it ridiculous that this actually worked. Thank ya, sir.

20. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Help here please.

I have a 2006 Prius- Non-JBL, European Model, Non-SKS.

It came with one black logo functional key- model no. B21TA i.e. one which has only two buttons i.e. lock and unlock -no red button.

I ordered a used key with black logo and three buttons from ebay i.e. model no. B21TG

I've read this thread from the start to finish a few times now.

I was able to program the fob to start the car on the first attempt, but that was as far as I got.

Having read and attempting the various procedures mentioned by amethystjw,
    05 Solar Prius, patsparks, kcopen, Scott121, as well as Jaquimo but to no avail, I seek your help now.

I've been able to enter the add mode successfully which was confirmed by the car's lock-unlock sequence once or twice depending on the procedure followed but, I didn't have any joy programming the new fob.

So finally the queries:

1. Has anyone programmed a 2 button and a 3 button black logo Fob on the same car simultaneously?
    2. Can anyone confirm that the fob no. B21TA and B21TG are interchangeable?
    3. Any other suggestions?
    4. Has anyone other tha Jaquimo programmed a used black logo key from ebay which has probably been used more than the 128 times?
    5. Any one from Australia who has successfully programmed a used key from USA? could you help me please?
    Thanks to everyone in anticipation.