1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally! How to program a non-SKS key/fob. Detailed!

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by amethystjw, Mar 1, 2008.

1. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you for the modified instructions for step 11 (8 was not needed). I was able to program my new SKS key fob for lock & unlock and engine start with key inserted into the slot...

Strangely, after driving the car twice I noticed that SKS started to work. I was going to bring my car to the dealer to program the SKS but guess I don't have to anymore.

Total cost:
    New key fob from eBay: $153.40
    Cost of programming: 15 minutes of my time.
    Very happy forum member here :D

Zephan likes this.
  2. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    OP - We should remove the "non-SKS" out of the title as I just confirmed that it works with SKS key with full SKS functionality using procedures posted here. I think the key (no pun intended) to my success is that I bought a new unused key fob.

3. Tw3nty

Tw3nty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a broken fob and want to replace it. I also need a backup. Can I really buy 2 fob keys on eBay and re-program it? Does matter if the key has a silvery Toyota symbol? What do I have to be careful about if I buy the fob on eBay? Please help. Thanks.

4. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Yes, you can buy key fob off eBay and program your car to accept it. Does does it matter if it is silver or black? It depends... with your remaining key fob, can you lock/unlock/start the car without taking it out of your pocket/purse? If you can, your car is equipped with SKS.

For SKS prius, you can purchase a new SKS Key fob (silver logo) and program it with the instructions posted her and have a fully functional replacement key. A new key fob can be bought for $150 to $200 online. Part number 89994 - 47061. (Based on my personal experience)

If you have a non-SKS Prius or don't mind losing the SKS feature to save money, I believe you can buy a used, black or silver logo key fob and program it to open your doors using the remote buttons and to start the car with fob inserted into the dash slot. Used fob off eBay cost $25 and up. (Based on my online research)

1 person likes this.
  5. mjm114

mjm114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I posted this in another category but didn't get feedback, let me know if you have any suggestions:

Quick question, my wife wasn't able to open our '04 Prius with the FOB. I replaced the battery, and the FOB started flashing, which I'm assuming means that the new battery is working properly. However, after I put the FOB back together, the lock/unlock bottons still don't work. I can still manually open the car with the attached key and start the car with the FOB, but I was wondering if there's still a problem.

I did all the steps on the knowlege base to reprogram the FOB so that it will lock & unlock, but because the light doesn't flash when I hold both the lock & unlock bottons (one of the last steps) nothing happens because it appears the FOB isn't sending a signal.

Any suggestions? BTW- it is a non-SKS Prius.

6. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I believe the light on the fob should flash when pressing the lock or unlock button separately. It should flash even if you are nowhere near your Prius. If it doesn't, the remote buttons may be broken. I suggest buying another fob off eBay w/blank key and program your Prius to accept it. You can keep the broken fob as an emergency spare.

1 person likes this.
  7. mjm114

mjm114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Does anyone else know if the light on the FOB should blink, regardless if it is programmed or not? I spoke with Toyota, and they seem to think that the light won't blink if it needs to be programmed

Again, the light blinked about 10 times when I changed the battery but then stopped.

8. Tw3nty

Tw3nty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I need more help. We tried to program the key. The engine worked great, but not the doors. Every time we get to the part where we press both lock and unlock buttons simultaneousy, the doors lock and unlock twice. Then, when we press the lock key they lock an unlock twice again. Is there suppose to be a pause while we push the buttons? We are lost. Spent An hour reading and opening doorsp and inserting keys. Please help.

9. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I got lost at the same place with the door locking and unlocking twice. I reread the modified step 11 and interpreted it as...
    Both button on the old fob for 4 flashes and then both button on the new fob for 4 flashes.
    I also tried...
    Both buttons on the old fob and both buttons on the new fob for 4 flashes (All 4 buttons simultaneously for 4 flashes).
    I'm not certain which one did it for me as I have tried several times. But one of which should get you the desired single lock and unlock.

10. Tw3nty

Tw3nty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

We just tried those two ways for 30 mins. My wife now thinks I'm an electrical idiot. Guys help restore my manhood :). Any other ideas?

11. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I found another set of instruction on the internet that may help. It is not Prius specific instruction but the steps do correlate to the instructions posted here. Take a look at their step 6 (equivalent to step 11). Their timing is slightly different. Hopefully this is the solution to your problem.

How to Program Toyota Key Fobs | eHow.com

12. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Didn't see this before... Just found the PDF from Toyota's repair manual with detail instructions. It is located in the attachment section of the 1st post here: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/80121-important-experience-key-fob-programming-issues.html

Thanks to AbuS3ood for posting it.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tw3nty

Tw3nty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am tired and my wife has given up. We havevtried all of these thread ideas. Now she is going to the dealer. I feel like I am going to be screwed. I feel lost and scared. Any advice about how to provide being ripped off by dealer. Feel lost and lead astray.

Zephan likes this.
  14. bajo

bajo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are also not able to program the fob using this method. We have a 2006 Prius which has SKS, and we have one silver fob. I picked up a black fob from eBay (locksmithstore) which was advertised as OEM new, and we tried following the instructions for the first part, programming the new key for starting the car. The new black fob has a battery, which seems to work fine as the red LED comes on when I push the lock or unlock button.

We do the multiple silver key insertion and multiple door closing, but then when we put the black key in for programming, the flashing red light on the dash never stops after a minute or so. It just keeps going and going. After 3-4 minutes, I pull the new black key out and try it, but no dice. We have tried moving the silver fob far away from the car after doing the multiple inserts so that the SKS would not sense it, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. We've tried this whole thing about four or five times now. We also once tried disabling the SKS with the under-dash switch and trying to follow the instructions again, but that did nothing either.

Many people said this first section was the easy part, and I think the collective IQ of my wife and I exceeds triple digits, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

RR

15. mjm114

mjm114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Got a new FOB on ebay (black logo, non-SKS) and was able to reprogram both functions on the first try. Can't believe how great this worked, thanks again to everyone's comments.

16. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can no one here confirm if an American non-SKS fob i.e one with a black logo be successfully programmed to start the engine as well as the remotely lock/unlock the doors on a European model Prius??

17. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Fob may be bad. If you can, returning it to the seller for a refund. Also, if you don't mind, how much did you paid for it? If it is a lot less than $150, it is most likely used. I seen ebay seller advertise their listing as new when selling a new uncut key with a used fob.

If you are willing to try again, I suggest buying new key fobs from Parts.com
    New NON SKS Key fob (Part Number 8907047180) - $125.52
    New SKS Key fob (Part Number 8999447061) - $139.89

18. Ramanjit81

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To answer my own post hereunder, in short the responses based on my personal experience are:

1. American Non-SKS fob does not work with a European and presumably Australian prius either.

2. The BT21TG i.e American Non-SKS fob is not interchangeable with BT21TA i.e. European Non-SKS fob.

3. I could not find any second hand european fobs for my prius so I ended up ordering a new fob from a dealer for €92 including VAT without programming.

4. After getting the fob from the dealer I was able to successfully program both the ignition and remote door lock/unlock functions withing 3 minutes of getting into the car using the instructions on the first post. ( I got it so quick as I had by hearted the procedure while trying repetitively with the American fob I purchased of ebay which worked for iginition but not for the remote lock/unlock funtion.)

In my opinion it is quite difficult to come across a Prius used key in Ireland if not in Europe itself. I paid €60 for the used key from America, but I bought that as the original quotes for the key and programming here in Ireland were €170-€250 including VAT, but having failed to program the American fob, I was not left with an option but to get a new one, so on ringing all of the accessible main dealers I found 2 who quoted €92 for the key alone without programming and I got it off the nearest one.

Just hope this saves some European Prius owners from buying the American fobs.

Help here has been great and thanks to all of the posters without whose guidance this wouldn't have worked.

19. fiatlux42

fiatlux42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all - thanks for posting. I programmed my new fob (both engine start and door lock/unlock) today and it worked like charm. The fob was purchased brand-new from Original Keyless for $97. A little steep, but better than the dealership (goes without saying, I guess).

I wanted to add one thing - I was either misreading the "lock/unlock" directions or my car wasn't happy, so I couldn't get into programming mode by opening/closing the door only twice (Close > Open, Close > Open) in steps 3 and 5. In case twice doesn't work for you, try it three times.

Directions from above:

The Fob (for remotely unlocking/locking the doors)
    This is similar to the previous directions except it has to be done at the full moon and you must not be wearing matching socks.

1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the doors unlocked.
    2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Close and open driver door twice. Since door is already open, steps are Close > Open > Close > Open > Close > Open
    4. Insert and remove old fob once.
    5. Close and open driver door twice again. Close > Open > Close > Open > Close > Open
    6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.

Anyway -saved a bunch. Thanks!

20. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks a bunch.