1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally I can post!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Natalie Opsahl, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Natalie Opsahl

Natalie Opsahl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have an 08 Prius. We got a year ago and it's been throwing codes for a couple months. Before that we had to misfires had to relace the valve cover gasket. But haven't had power since and mileage has been terrible. Plus burning oil. Its throwing P0420 for the cat converter P3016 and P3000 for the hybrid battery. They turn on some days 10x other days not at all. I have a hybrid Dr app on my phone to monitor the battery and it has options to clear the codes. So that's what I've been doing. Can't afford to fix anything right now. I know it needs fuel injectors because it lags really bad especially going up a long hill. I have to get up to 80 to make it up the hill at a decent speed, but even then why the time I'm at the top I've been going 59 for half of it (hill is about a mile long.) You would think going down that hill would fill up my battery but it only does to about 65%. Phew.... I know I probably need to separate these and put them under proper topics but thata the jist of where I'm at. Awesome forum btw. Very helpful even just being able to read topics.

Natalie

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yayyy! Welcome(y)

3. Natalie Opsahl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    LoL thanks. I looked at my first post and its almost identical. But different things have happened since then.

bisco likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The codes have spoken: your car needs a new HV battery. It's slowing down on the hill because it is being propelled mostly by the ICE to protect the weak battery. Prices range from $1600-3500 for new. Cheaper "new" batteries are really used refurbished packs and typically are only as good as the warranty backing them up because most fail like the original it replaced.

Burning oil needs consistent monitoring or very bad things will happen.

GOOD LUCK!

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are in the US and are DIY, consider the kit of new cells from @2k1Toaster here for $1600 delivered. That basically gives your car a new traction battery pack. The link is in my signature.

6. Natalie Opsahl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I check the oil every other day. And add as needed. I pretty much keep it full just in case I forget about it for a couple days. It also says I need a catalytic converter. So you dont think the fuel injectors need replaced? It surges or like pulses when going up hills. And my mileage is super bad. It hesitates o tree is SAS sluggish when I take off. Are there even any codes for the fuel injection?

7. Natalie Opsahl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Another thing I was thinking today, when the Dr Hybrid monitors the battery, when the exclamation point and codes turn on all the readings are actually good. It's off and on that the 1 week cell turns red on the battery monitor. Only thing I notice is questionable is the temperature. Is at 112 and 107 108. I was thinking maybe it's the temp causing it to throw a code? The fan for the HV battery turns on too everytime all the time lights turn on.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try cleaning the fan. Pet hair, etc. can really block it from functioning well.

9. Natalie Opsahl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't see any signature??

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius