1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally let my partner drive my Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Blu-ray, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So today I let my partner drive my Prius for the very first time. He has a 2007 Ford Mustang. I was on pins and needles the entire time! He drives well, but it's my baby after all. It only has 2.3K on it so I'm feeling like "OMG OMG OMG OMG" "Don't park there, that idiot is crooked and too close to the line." "Watch out for the Curb." "Careful coming up to the front of the store. Don't pull too close as the front end may scrape the concrete." "Careful of the idiot in the lane next to us. He's getting close to the line." I'm surprised I didn't end up having to walk home. :eek:

N E WHO! :whistle:

Here is what his thoughts were on the car:

1. Quite comfy from the drivers seat.
    2. He liked the technology in the car.
    3. He had to get use to the ICE shutting off when we came to a stop.
    4. He tried out the standard mode, ECO Mode, and the PWR mode. He liked the standard mode. ECO mode he kept saying "Is this thing going to go any faster?" When he went into power mode and stepped on the gas when a light turned green he was like "HORY SHET!" I guess he wasn't expecting it to take off like it did. :ROFLMAO:
    5. He liked the bridge/buttress from the drivers point of view. He said it was at the perfect height for him to lay his arm on.
    6. He liked how the car braked. However, he didn't at first until he got use to it. We kept ending up almost stopped 2-3 car lengths away from a stoplight or the car in front of us. Then when he got use to it he said "Brakes better than my Mustang and feels firmer."

What he wasn't too keen on:

1. The triple light issue of the front windshield. He said it really didn't bother him just made him keep thinking he needed new eyeglasses.
    2. He didn't like the rear window too much. But said he could get use to it. Then when we were driving at night he realized it helped block some of the headlights. So he said it serves a purpose.
    3. He felt like everyone was tailgating him. I kept saying, they probably are.
    4. The steering wheel doesn't have a place for him to rest his hand like he does with his Mustang or before that like with his Camaro. It does but it's not as comfortable.

He's not going to get a new car anytime soon as he's going to enjoy not having a car payment. Plus his 2007 Mustang only has 45K and has an extended warranty for another 4 years up to 100K. So yeah, no real reason to trade at this time. Heck, by the time the 4 years are up he'll be able to buy one cash. He did say he would have to keep the Prius in mind for when he does go to purchase a new vehicle in a few years or so.

In the end he was pleasantly surprised with the car driving it for the first time. He said it was a good feeling, comfy car, which handles well. He said that he now sees why I like it. He especially liked the HID upgrade I did. Now he wants to know if I can do an HID upgrade on his Mustang for him. :rolleyes:

2k1Toaster, PriusGuy32 and F8L like this.
  2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D You sound like me when Im driving around with my students (I teach drivers education PT) ... lol

My partner doesnt hate my Prius but he avoids driving it. Hes got a ford escape with a v6 so naturally, the Prius is always the first choice when we go somewhere because of the mpgs but he refuses to get behind the wheel. He's driven it maybe twice but doesnt like the brakes, the taking off in electric, the speedometer way up by the windshield, blah blah blah. Lucky for him, hes cute....lol

goddess prii and Blu-ray like this.
  3. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Funny thing here is I have yet to drive his Mustang. He says I can but I don't like the Mustang. It is too tight inside for me. I also don't like the windshield and dash.

Plus I'm always worried I'll wreck it! LOL

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  4. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You need to compare fuel bills! Mustangs and V6 Escapes are not going to make them happy at the gas stations.

Blu-ray and milkman44 like this.
  5. xPETEx

xPETEx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    This reminds me of when my wife wanted to drive the Prius last weekend for the first time. I warned her before we got in that she'd be better to go off and drive it without me. Story just like yours, but half an hour into the drive she's yelling at me because I should trust her driving ability ;)

A.Reyes and Blu-ray like this.
  6. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    HA!! Same here!! As concerned as I am about her being safe at the same time I didn't spend big money on a car to get scratched and dented.

Blu-ray and xPETEx like this.
  7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    During the nine+ years we have jointly owned our Gen II, Gen III and now the PiP, my wife has never driven any of them. Nor has she driven the '91 Miata we bought from our son over six years ago. I have offered to let her drive the Prius a number of times, but ever since her first ride when she noticed the ICE quit at stoplights, she has had no interest whatsoever. She seldom drives now that I am mostly retired, but we keep our Lexus for her and for our cross-country trips. All is good.:p

xPETEx likes this.
  8. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My subaru is mine and mine only! She can't drive stick! 2 wins for me!

Blu-ray likes this.