1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally picked up my car tonight

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by devprius, Mar 7, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :cheer2: :rockon:
    Yep. It's even more fun when you can stomp on the pedal and leave EVERYONE behind, and it's all electric, and all hydroelectric. (In a manner of speaking, EVs in WA state are water powered.)

The 2004 Prius, with its brief periods of electric, was what got me wanting a pure EV. I think the PiP will get a lot more people salivating over pure EV.

2. OilFreedom

OilFreedom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So true, Daniel (especially if you're driving your Tesla Roadster)!

After first driving my Leaf for a couple of weeks and then driving an ICE again, my Acura TL suddenly felt, sounded, drove, and even smelled so 20th century! I was totally surprised by this, because I really liked the TL -- until I drove electric for a little while.

I always wanted an EV, but actually driving one seems to have destroyed the nice illusion / habit we generally have (culturally) about powering our cars by burning something, making noise, and polluting more than necessary. After driving electric, a regular ICE seems very primitive to me.

I sold the Acura and haven't missed it, not even once. Right after I sold it, I gave the buyer a ride my Leaf. Afterwards, I sensed some regret in his purchase.

For our needs and household, the PiP will be the perfect complement to the Leaf.

1 person likes this.
  3. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

1 person likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your new pri and :welcome:

5. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Doing 4 miles uphill also strains the battery a lot. A lot more than keeping EV at 62mph.

devprius, try to use HV mode when going uphill at the start of your drive and engage EV after you climbed that hill. You won't strain the battery and IMO you will get better mileage than using the EV power for going uphill. Heavy power demand is ICE's turf.

6. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The goal of the first week or so with the PiP is to drive it like I would my 2005 to get an idea of what immediate improvements can I get. Afterwards I'll start experimenting with the various excellent suggestions people have given me to optimize effeciency.