1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally reached 120k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Salstats, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Salstats

Salstats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 2009 Toyota Prius reached 120k. I purchased this Prius with 116k and so far so good. I had a couple hiccups here and there since the hymotion conversion was giving the Prius issues but after removing the battery and bypassing the system the Prius has driven fine. I will be doing the sparkplugs and transmission fluid this weekend if I get a chance if not Monday since I have the day off. Should I chage the coolant pump or wait until it goes out? I'm not sure if it was done previously. 20181106_151917.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the maintenance schedule for service requirements. i would wait on the pump, but it depends on your level of caution.

Salstats likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to pick up a rebuilt Combo meter and have it in stock when that starts failing. Its pretty easy to install diy. Mine blinked for almost a year but had one in stock ready to go when it finally failed.

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you had it for a year how could you get a rebuilt one with the correct mileage?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which coolant pump are you referring to: engine or inverter/transaxle?

If you see pinkish or whitish residue deposited on the interior of the engine coolant pump pulley or on the AC compressor housing which is below that pump, I would change the pump as the bearing is beginning to fail.

If you are referring to the inverter/transaxle coolant pump, there are no warning signs for that pump prior to failure. Maybe your car received a replacement pump under the recall program, you might want to inquire into its service history. I would say it is a good idea to replace the pump preventively if 100K miles have been logged on the pump, as it appears the current design pump is not really any better than the original equipment pump.

Salstats likes this.
  6. Salstats

Salstats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe it is the pump on the inverter (electric side side of the engine bay).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.