1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally ready to buy Prius, need help!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ktnws, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ktnws

Ktnws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am an SUV driver, always have been....currently have a 2011 4runner, love it except for the gas mileage! I avg 18.5 mpg. I have finally decided to get the Prius. I did a lot of research and test drove the alternatives (I was DETERMINED NOT to get a Prius), all roads led to the Prius.

I am excited and finally decided I want the IV in the blizzard pearl.

I live in Southern California and have been test driving and working with an internet sales guy in Carlsbad, he has been very understanding over the last few weeks and appreciate his patience with my questions. I have been collecting online quotes for the last few weeks and had brought those with me. I was also curious what they would offer me for the 2011 4runner with 23,000 miles on it and in perfect shape (I don't really want to sell it myself and had been to carmax and autotrader where they offered me wholesale at $25,500). I made an appointment with sales guy, he was not available until 5:15 last night, we arrived and he was still with another customer. He asked another guy to help us, all good, I was torn between the silver or white, last night decided on blizzard pearl. The salesman explained there was a $395 cost difference for the paint. It took them 2 hours to finally tell me that they would give me $22,000 for my trade in and the online quote was wrong for a variety of reasons, the only one we understood was the up-charge for the paint (which the "hard closing" sales guy turned into $1100! It was horrible he started yelling and I wanted to leave and tried to thank him and tell him up we appreciate their time and I would go sell my 4runner and be back....but he just kept yelling, asking me what I wanted. I explained we had been very clear and would go sell the 4runner and be back.

My husband was pissed, I was embarrassed, neither of us want to go back to that dealership, even though they are only 10 minutes from my house and several friends and neighbors have had wonderful experiences with them.

Anyone here in SoCal have a good recommendation on where to buy a Prius. I live in North San Diego, but am willing to drive or fly pretty much anywhere in the state for the "right" deal. The internet quote from USAA we had in hand for the silver color was $25,806. I will contact USAA again today and get an updated quote on the blizzard pearl.

Thanks!

JMD likes this.
  2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Upcharge for the B.P. color is what you stated...$395.00....dealer $352.00 per Edmonds web site....
    Most always better to sell your vehicle....but in Ohio the final sales tax is calculated on the selling price of the new car MINUS the trade... this can affect the sales tax paid by a sizeable amount...Do not know if California has the same policy....
    There's a lady,DianneWhitmire,a Calif.Toyota salesperson on this site....Many have purchased their Prius form her....

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed, go see Dianne.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ditto, princess di the only person to see, all the best!(y)

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealers will universally refuse to honor the online quotes as soon as you start talking trade. Mine did too, but I was satisfied by a higher than expected value for my trade, so I let it drop. Plus the fact that it was the only Prius within 500 miles that had what I wanted.

At one time the pearl finishes were no-charge if you bought the Five models, not sure what happened to that. I guess they got too popular.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No need to be bullied by a salesman. I once was told by a sales guy I was stupid for not taking his deal. I made it a point to tell the sales manager his salesman had made it absolutely impossible for me to buy the car from his dealership and I was going across town for the same deal. I did. Don't know what happened to the sales guy.

I like not trading in as it makes the cost of the new car deal very clear. Using craigslist I've sold 2 cars in the last 2 years in under 4 hours each to the first buyer with cash. Use the carmax quote to defend your advertised price.

7. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not return to that Toyota dealer to do business. I am surprised that they didn't match the price CarMax for your 4runner. I would suggest Mossy Toyota in PB. They are very competitive and just go on there website and email them your offer. Saves you time and headache.

8. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drove 900 miles each way to get to a dealership that would not jerk me around.

Similar to your situation, the local dealership in the Omaha area would not honor the USAA car-buying service quote.

So I found a Lithia in Billings, Montana that had the car I wanted arriving from Japan and a no-haggle pricing policy that beat even the USAA price. It was over $2000 under MSRP, so my family made a road trip of it, visiting Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, and a few other historical locations, and even after hotels and gas I was still way ahead.

I despise hard sales tactics, so I take the non-combat option when I can.

9. Ktnws

Ktnws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info, I emailed Dianne, she emailed back, but so far no price quote response to my request.

Considering buying late model used, anything I should watch for? Found a 2012 prius 3 with only 10000 miles in the blizzard pearl, they are asking $21,900. Also saw a persona pkg used 2013 with only 4,000 miles also asking price of $21900, except this one is black cherry and I am not sure how I feel about the color. Love the softex sets and my husband like the 17" wheels, if it were blizzard pearl I would jump! Any thoughts?

10. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hate buying cars it's a shell game, but my dealer here in town is great I deal with the sales manager and general manager. I always get more than carmax quote by a $1000 over carmax, but it is a good starting point.

11. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I don't like white cars one bit--nor black. They show dust too well.

I would tend towards the black cherry; I love my softex seats. Any idea why someone is selling such a new vehicle? I've never seen a black cherry Prius in real life, but the images on the web look intriguing.

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    $21.9k for Persona.. wow.. which dealer? CPO?

I'm biased to Blizzard as well.. Persona's are nicely packaged.

13. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had White on many cars and it does not show dirt, swirl marks, dust like Black.......also stays cooler
    But the Black Cherry is a great color for sure

14. Ktnws

Ktnws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The black cherry persona was a dentist who bought it a few months ago and "decided it wasn't for him" and traded it in for a Mercedes, so now Mercedes dealership is selling it cheap.

Still not sure about the color.....

15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    and you have the history too.. wow.. rare and great price. Prius in CA in general resell is too high.. but this is an exception.

16. Ktnws

Ktnws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The black cherry was an amazing deal, but husband said I was too intent on the deal and veto'd the black cherry.

Bought 2011 blizzard with 17,000 miles for $19,000 it is the IV with leather, navigation, back up camera...pretty happy with my deal.

17. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thats a still a pretty good price. If I could have found one like that, I'd probably have snagged it. In my area, all I could find were used 2010s (off-lease?) with 30-40k on them for more than $20k. So I gave up leather and heated seats.

18. Ktnws

Ktnws Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We had to drive over 2 hours inland ( we live near the coast) and it was a lease they gave up. I was pretty surprised at price, so did all the research searched title and compared to similar cars (carmax had same car a 2011 what they called a V with 33,000 miles for $23,995). Other than some dog hair car was exceptional condition, I have 2 dogs so we thought that was acceptable.

I can't figure out what difference is between a 2011 model 4 or 2011 model 5? Does anyone know?

19. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I'd guess it is about the same as the 2013 IV and V. They are both pretty loaded, but the IV has the option of the solar roof. The V has the 17" wheels, fog lights, and option of the Advanced Technology Package. The IV does not offer any of those, and the V doesn't offer the roof.

20. sdnlgm

sdnlgm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We bought both our Prii (V and C) at Toyota of Poway and it was fairly straightforward.