1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally replaced EGR valve/cooler today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kc410, Oct 17, 2017.

1. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    223667 miles - Prius has been running great but I knew it was going to be needed. Back in August I picked up a EGR valve+cooler from ebay for $100. Got all the gaskets for the EGR cooler to the IM from the local dealer, along with another gal of coolant. (I still had about 1/2 gal remaining from the last coolant change) Picked up a e8 torx socket from the local auto parts store.
    Started at 9am this morning. Finished at 7pm this evening. Prius started right up with no codes/errors/leaks!

I have not installed the wiper tray yet as I want to change the spark plugs & install a oil catch can, both of which I already have.

The EGR pipe was lined with an oily carbon coating but it was not plugged. The IM EGR passages were likewise quite nasty but they were not plugged completely. Actually the EGR ports at each cylinder were fairly open. Everything on the IM was nasty though. I used a strong solution oxy-clean & various bottle brushes from Harbor Freight to clean the EGR passages in the IM.

The EGR cooler looks almost fully plugged looking at it from the exhaust manifold end. I'm guessing there is still some airflow there, otherwise all the rest of the EGR plumbing would be plugged up. Not sure though, I have not separated the cooler & valve yet.

This is the first time I have opened up anything on the Prius engine. I do keep a close watch on the fuel mileage & have not seen any change - I was still getting >50 mpg on most tanks around town.
    I knew the EGR cooler was going to plug up eventually & I did not want that to lead to a blown head gasket. That was probably my biggest incentive for getting this done now :)

& a big Thank You to --->NutzAboutBolts<--- for the fine job on all the vids!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    9am to 7pm? Dang I'll have to make more time

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or do it several times and you get good at it(y).

Old Wrench It, kc410 and JC91006 like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How did it go with the EGR valve and cooler purchased on EBay; I assume you had to clean them?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lol. Time....It takes time

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I did have to clean the ebay EGR valve & cooler. The parts came from a low mileage vehicle. I separated the valve from the cooler & used purple power on the cooler. A few soaks at full strength & it was getting spotless. I found a rubber stopper at Lowes that fit the exhaust manifold end perfectly. Hillman brand "rubber stopper" #4
    With the stopper in one end I would fill the cooler with purple power & let it soak overnight. Like magic it became spotless!

The EGR valve I was a little more careful with. I think I used carb cleaner mostly & a wire brush. I did remove the black end (two screws) & I manually opened the valve while I was cleaning.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This cleaning needed once every 100k miles, not sure I would want to buy another one. Just have the car out of commission for a day

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This was removing & cleaning the Intake Manifold also.

Actually it took right at 5 hours to get everything disassembled. Then another 1-1.5 hours to clean the IM, then about 3.5 hours to get it all back together (except for the wiper tray).

I'll admit, its not as much fun as it was many years ago!

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My back hurts just thinking about it

NutzAboutBolts and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depending on how tall you are, your knees might hurt after ascending the block to access the back bolts of the cooler :barefoot:.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For a counterpoint, I cleaned the EGR on our son's '06 Civic the other day, what a walk in the park: a small component, about the size of your fist, with two easily accessible hold-down bolts and an electrical connection. A little sooty inside, a few shots of carb cleaner, done. The gasket stuck on a bit so I sprung for a new one.

Maybe clean air regulations or whatever tightened since, not sure what the newer Honda EGR's would be like.

RightOnTime likes this.
  12. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    UPDATE: after separating the EGR cooler from the EGR valve I find that the cooler _was_ indeed fully plugged with carbon. After cleaning the carbon off of the exhaust manifold flange end I could not blow through the cooler at all!

I put a cork in the exhaust manifold end & poured Purple Power into the valve end & am letting it soak overnight. I can see the Purple Power does dissolve the carbon but it is going to take a long bath to get all the carbon out. I went through about 2/3 gal of the Purple Power cleaning the ebay cooler & it came out spotless inside & out. Using the cork I can fill up just the cooler & let it soak, then change the cleaner lots of times.
    I'll have to pick up another gal of Purple Power to finish cleaning this cooler.

The only slight indication that something might have been astray was my fuel mileage had dropped slightly, say from 55mpg down to ~50mpg driving on surface streets around town 35-50mph in stop & go traffic, also running the AC 100%, so I wasn't sure if I had a problem.

13. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you loved that hidden nut below the cooler. I thought long and hard at least twice to eliminate threading it. I had to use a really small neodymium magnet inside my socket to keep it inside the socket to get it started. I dropped it twice into the engine and by some miraculous intervention it fell onto the plastic cover below and a little thumping I got it to fall through ;-)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the video @NutzAboutBolts uses his left hand, reaches around the the back (clockwise) and I believe is able to get the nut started by hand. Not sure though, lol.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  15. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes, it was the left hand.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Abu Rais

Abu Rais Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi All,
    I have 193K and planning to clean the intake manifold and EGR cooler. I saw the video from nutz and bolts. Little bit confuse on the multiple videos. What will be the process if I would like to do it in order.
    1. Change Spark Plugs
    2. Start with Intake Manifold or starts with EGR cooler.

I am not sure what will be the easy step to follow on the video. Please let me know which one to start in order. This week since Wednesday engine is vibrating on a low speed and once I step on the gas it goes away. Hopefully doing the above steps will solve it.

17. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you do it all at once it will save you time because if you are going to replace the spark plugs you have access to the EGR cooler and to get to the cooler you need to remove the EGR pipe and if you remove the EGR pipe you might as well clean the intake manifold, replace the PCV valve and clean the throttle body.

18. Abu Rais

Abu Rais Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your advise. I drive Uber in Houston and everyday 400 miles plus. Ordered tons of suspension parts along with PCV and intake manifold gasket from Norwalk Toyota California.
    Do I need to unplug the 12volt battery before I start the job?

mjoo likes this.
  19. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Easy with a 10mm to remove the ground from the 12v. I also don't open the doors and keep my remote inside my house so there is no chance of communication even with the 12v disconnected. No problem being a little cautious

20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No need to unplug the 12v.

But if you feel you need to, have at it(y).

kc410, m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.