1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally replaced EGR valve/cooler today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kc410, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the EGR removal, you for sure need an E8 Torx socket (likely 1/4" drive). A ratcheting 12mm wrench is not mandatory, but very useful, for the rearmost cooler bolts. If it has a pivoting head that might help too.

If you want to remove the 2 studs in intake manifold (for throttle body), an E6 Torx socket is needed. This is not mandatory, but if you're cleaning the intake manifold, the studs are a little fragile, safer to remove them.

To avoid coolant spills with the EGR removal, drain a couple of liters of engine coolant at the outset, return it to the reservoir after.

For cleaning the EGR cooler, a strong solution of OxyClean in hottest available tap water is very effective. Let it soak for a at least an hour (one end of cooler plugged), then flush with hot tap water, and repeat, 5~6 times.

For the EGR valve, stick to Brake Cleaner and brushes: Oxy may react with the aluminum.

Some torque values, foot/pounds unless noted:

PCV valve: 15
    Intake manifold bolts/nuts: 21
    EGR pipe bolts: 7
    EGR studs: 7
    EGR nuts: 15
    Throttle body nuts/bolts: 7
    Throttle body studs: 44 inch/pounds (3.6666 foot/pounds)

#21 Mendel Leisk, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    JDZILL, Jayw13702 and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you're extra vigilant, like me whenever I work on my car, you can unplug the HV battery. That'll ensure that the engine cannot turn on it's own.

Pixel XL ?

3. Abu Rais

Abu Rais Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you please provide any link for E8 and E6 Torx socket?

What is oxy clean?

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Harbor Freight has a set of torx sockets.

Oxy clean is household cleaner. Amazon has it reasonably priced.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oxy you can get in any major grocery store. My wife just happened to insist we get it recently when we were in Costco (the Costco sized box of course).

6. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cleaning my removed EGR cooler:

I used Purple Power (Walmart $5/gal) to clean the egr cooler I got off of ebay. It was not fully plugged & cleaned up fairly easily.

I've been soaking my fully plugged egr cooler I removed at 223K in Purple Power & have had little success. Inside both of the ends got clean but the small passages were getting nowhere.
    I made a trip to the local hobby shop & got a couple lengths of piano wire - 2.0mm & 2.2mm - I cut a couple sections 12" long & ground the ends flat (not pointed) so as to push out the carbon buildup. After some gentle prodding the 2.0mm piece started going through a few slots, then a few more. Eventually the 2.2mm would go through quite a few slots. Progress :)

I'm letting it soak a while (again) with a cork in one end & filled with Purple Power.

I did try some Oxy Clean but with cool water & fully plugged cooler it would not touch the carbon at all.

JDZILL, mjoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    EGR Cooler cleaning update: Finally this evening I have a spare "clean" egr cooler. I have been soaking it in Purple Power cleaner, then Sat I got some piano wire to assist in opening up the plugged cooler. With the plugged cooler I started with the 2.0mm piano wire & going straight in from one end it would finally go through. After the 2.0mm was going through the core fairly easily I started with the 2.2mm wire. For the core area that has a straight shot in from either end the 2.2mm worked very well. For the area of the core that was not a "straight in" shot from one of the end openings I went back to the 2.0mm wire & gently fed it in with a bend. Eventually I got the 2.0mm wire through _all_ of the core openings, even the ones in the corners. It was a small challenge to get to the hard-to-reach core area, but doable. In my core there are 5 layers of openings & each layer has 13 slots, through which I (gently) pushed the 2.0mm wire.

Prius operation with the new clean egr cooler installed: There has been a small but noticeable improvement in the ICE starting & Prius now has a smoother transitioning from battery to ICE while driving .

There is one place where I can see a noticeable improvement. When the battery is down to 2 bars (sitting with AC on) & the ICE has just started to recharge the battery, when accelerating now, there is no pinging at all. Before installing the clean EGR cooler the ICE would ping under the same conditions, every time. I do not remember when this started, but had been going on a fairly long time.
    To me, the ICE pinging under the above described conditions (traction battery low & accelerating) was the only solid indication that the EGR cooler was fully plugged & this pinging stopped when the clean cooler was installed..

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How'd it look after the Purple Power?

IIRC OxyClean didn't work too well for you, though maybe it was due to using cold water?

9. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was very impressed with the Purple Power on the ebay cooler. The ebay cooler was just dirty (not plugged) & the Purple Power just turned the soot to a liquid & the end result was a spotless cooler that I installed.
    The Purple Power was taking forever on my fully plugged cooler. That is when I got the piano wire, which started the cleaning process for real. The straight-in passages are easy to access, its the other passages that I was concerned about. Once I got the smaller 2.0mm wire through all the passages I could let the Purple Power do its thing.
    A couple days ago I did rinse out the cooler & run the 2.0mm wire through everything only to find a few traces of carbon still there. I rinsed & dried the cooler, then sprayed carb cleaner through from both ends. I could see the black carbon running out. after about 1 can of carb cleaner I went back to the Purple Power soaks.. Putting a rubber stopper on one end I would fill the cooler & let it sit for 2-10 hours before draining it & refilling. I probable did at least 20 cleaning sessions with the Purple Power cleaner during the 6 day process.
    The end result is a like-new, spotless cooler :)

My cold water oxy-clean solution would not touch the carbon buildup. I did use the oxy-clean solution to rinse off & remove the Purple Power cleaner from the cooler.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, before using Oxy I did a fair bit of spray/soak with Braklean. The results with the latter were lackluster, but maybe they acted like a one-two punch, following up with Oxy. Who knows. Also, my cooler was not really socked-in with carbon, only around 71K kilometers.

But at the end of that process it was shiny-steel clean.

kc410 likes this.
  11. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It does look pretty when its clean :)

I'm very happy that I got a spare cooler that I could clean first. When I finally got the old cooler out I was smiling as I reached for the new cooler/valve assembly & started installing it - ohh so easy!

mjoo, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our Prius is a bit of a garage queen, a couple of days downtime is no big deal, the norm actually.

13. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When mine was plugged I used #18 copper but piano wire sounds like it worked just as well. I used a drill and it was a breeze.

kc410 likes this.
  14. Buderim

Buderim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I didnt know you could clean the EGR without removing it , did you have to unbolt it ?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I may jump in: @danlatu had the EGR removed.

I also used wire a bit, but it was mainly OxyClean that did the cleaning. It wasn't that clogged though, only around 70K kms.

#35 Mendel Leisk, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Buderim

Buderim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech

Ahh Thanks , I realise that I misread the post ,

I am planning on installing the oil catch can from above in the next few weeks ,

I guess I should look at cleaning the EGR at the same time ...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did my egr today, mine has only done 139,000 miles but I figured it was worth it just for the prevention factor.
    I bought a used cooler from eBay last week for about $50, when I got it I wasn’t surprised to find it was pretty clogged.
    IMG_1010.JPG

Couldn’t find oxi clean but I remembered someone saying that the active ingredient was hydrogen peroxide and when that mixed with hot water it created a fizzing that cleaned the cooler, so I found an equivalent in our local supermarket.
    A few treatments later
    IMG_1021.JPG
    Cleaner and with an led light behind it you can see right through, however it took another 2 treatments to really get it looking good

So I set about stripping the car apart today, I had seen the YouTube video and figured this was well within my abilities.
    Scuttle off.
    IMG_1030.JPG

It’s amazing how much more room you have with all that removed, and looking at the video from nutzandboltz I have a feeling that right hand drive cars have more room in the area I was working
    IMG_1031.JPG

Less than an hour later I had the cooler off the car, it wasn’t as bad as I had expected

IMG_1036.JPG

There was a led lamp underneath it, that’s the light you can see

And the egr
    IMG_1034.JPG

Cleaned the egr, assembled the cooler and 30 mins later it was all bolted up and running, the final job was draining the air out of the heater hoses, I’m glad mine is an early gen 3 with the bleed valve
    IMG_1044.JPG

Yes the lower cooler nut is a pain to do, if you lie on the engine and get at it from the back of the engine it’s quite easy, if you try and get at it through all the HV cables and heater hoses you have no chance.

I’m now cleaning my old one and keeping that as a back up unit, may swap it back out in 50k miles and see how clogged it has got

2010 Gen 3

mjoo, RMB, m.wynn and 3 others like this.
  18. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just remeberd bout this dissolving solution TCE trichloroethylen. I used it several times in the past to melt all epoxy from black boxes and other things. Its a cancerous solution. Well egr cooler is all metal so no problem there. I used it in ultrasonic bath and after less yhan 1 minute all epoxy became like cotton.
    I dont see any problem with carbon.
    Again this is a cancerous material.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So did you use this on the EGR cooler? I'd stick to Oxy, more benign, can go down the drain.

amos likes this.
  20. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. Dealer cleaned my cooler with a new eg valve couple weeks ago under warranty. My car is good now no complains I'm over 50 mpg for a long time now, i just remembered about it now. I guess using TCE is not a right way to go just wanted to get a mechanic-chemist opinion bout it

Mendel Leisk likes this.