1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally the scanner comes.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheSnowSnake, Jun 1, 2015.

1. TheSnowSnake

TheSnowSnake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I finally received the scanner and software. Wow now I can pick some brains on this unit.

HV battery U0100

Abs/TSC/TRAC C1259
    C3010

Air conditioner B1411
    B1421
    B1412
    Gateway B1271

Ok background :
    2004 Prius bought useed, but has never had ICE run.. Was able to move it a couple times in and out of garage.
    HV battery really low Grid charger ordered. I bought this car to learn WOW I'm really learning. I love it, it could only be better if it ran...

Don

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congratulations on the scanner! Have you got your techinfo.toyota.com subscription yet so you can see the service manuals and look up what those codes mean and how to work them up?

Cheers,
    -Chap

TheSnowSnake likes this.
  3. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I do not have that I have most of the service manual, do not know if the codes are listed.Im still waiting for the Grid Charger to top up the battery then start trying to get it going in earnest.I'll look at the manuals I have now thank you Chap

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC U0100 is the main code to figure out. This means there is a communications problem between the engine ECU and the hybrid vehicle ECU. Those ECUs are mounted right next to each other, behind the glove compartment. I suggest you remove the lower glove compartment so you can inspect the wiring harness that connects to the two ECUs, looking for obvious damage.

If you see obvious damage then repair it. If you don't see a problem then you'll need to inspect the wiring more carefully. Subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com to obtain specific instructions about the terminals which provide power and communications - those need to be inspected for corrosion, etc. If you have an oscilloscope then you can look at the waveforms for the CANH and CANL terminals, which should be digital pulses.

#4 Patrick Wong, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    TheSnowSnake likes this.
  5. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Patrick: I will look tomorrow strange that there would be damage there but look I will.
    Thanks guys

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Same can line is connected to the battery ecu as well. Damaging the wires going to battery ecu seems to be way more realistic in rear end collision that this car had if I remember correctly. Problem in can line anywhere could create problem everywhere since its only one line.

TheSnowSnake likes this.
  7. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If these lines were damaged would it still be possible to ready up occasionally and have the car move? But by all means I will disable the HV battery and check the under body channel for wire damage.

also what manuals should I get from techinfo.toyota.com for the codes etc. I don't see a good overall repair manual.

#7 TheSnowSnake, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hope you don't mind if I link to an earlier post that already covered how the manual is organized. That post was for the Gen 1, which had two main volumes (plus wiring, NCFM, and body); in later generations the number of main volumes may have increased, without changing the overall organization as far as I know (diagnostic info in Volume 1, etc.).

The only one that might not be of use to you is the body repair manual, which is for hardcore sheet metal wranglers and covers the kinds of repairs you use grinders and welders for. (All the repairs you can do with wrenches and screwdrivers are in the main manual volumes.)

The New Car Features Manual is solid gold, because it's the one that tells you the whats, hows, and whys of all the stuff the other volumes try to tell you how to diagnose and fix.

-Chap

TheSnowSnake likes this.
  9. TheSnowSnake

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Heck no I do not mind. I do all sorts of body work as well but for now Just a full good manual is all I need. Mine is second gen 2004 model.
    Thanks again Chap