1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finding 'dead' galaxies

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 28, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/91441-nasa-uses-gravitational-lensing-find-dead-galaxies-early.html

To peer that far back into history, researchers utilized a technique called gravitational lensing. In space, the gravity of massive galaxy clusters in the foreground stretch and amplify the light of background galaxies. This acts as a natural magnifying glass, allowing astronomers to study details in galaxies that would otherwise be impossible to see with our current technology.

“I like to think about it like doing science of the 2030s or 40s – with powerful next-generation space telescopes – but today instead by combining the capabilities of Hubble and ALMA, which are boosted by strong lensing,” Whitaker said.

The team’s research findings have been published in the journal Nature.

Imagine massive, dark bodies acting like simple magnifying lenses to see beyond the gravitational lense.

Bob Wilson

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I see a bunch of you guys /gals discussing the scopes in the other thread. It's interesting to me to follow the different perspectives from the group. Particle Physics and Theoretical Astrophysics is a bit beyond my pay grade, even though I've been interested in the similarities and difference of the microscopic and macroscopic realms for a long time.
    Understanding the core of a black hole, it's event horizon, or just what's at the bottom of it would be a surprise to me. Or how a worm hole effects whatever is inside it, as well as the effects it has on the matter surrounding the worm hole would most likely also surprise me. So yes, I can imagine it would be nice to be able to understand and magnify particle matter to an exponential degree. What doesn't surprise me is that some are finally starting to question the boundaries of the universe(s).

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    To the best of my knowledge, 'worm holes' are a theoretical construct not yet observed. As for the boundaries of the universe, the "Big Bang" theory remains operational although there are more things to understand. The mystery of 'dark matter' remains.

Bob Wilson

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm reading, a lensing galaxy is effectively increasing Hubble's mirror size, by many orders of magnitude. Size of a football field, more?

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What I find paradoxical about this article is that the object in question is too far away to see. Luckily, there's something massive in between it and use. :whistle: Now, we can see it.

That's like going to the DMV and asking the examiner to stand in front of the eye chart so you cn the read the bottom line! Assuming the DMV employee is massive enough to bend light around them, obviously. :p