1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fingerprints on the Touchscreen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jillie185, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jillie @ Mar 14 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]405626[/snapback]</div>

Jillie:

I use a cleaning and polishing cloth from:

QVC.com; Item number V25225 7 piece set for $16.81 plus $4.47 S&H. Just wet the cloth with plain water and wipe the screen well; then dry with the chamois side. Cloth can be washed in the washing machine in cold water. JUST LINE DRY IT. Don't place in the dryer.

This works really well for me. I also use their "Super Cloth" for dusting. No chemicals used ever... just wet it, wipe the area, even works on wood for dusting. Rinse out the cloth. Never wash it. Mine last about 9 months used on a regular basis.

Hope this helps. B)

Susanne

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A comment on the alcohol. Be SURE it is isopropyl not ethanol (ethyl alcohol) which may damage the screen. Save the ethanol for drinking!

3. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

MONSTER Screen Clean ( alcohol free ) , we purchased this at our local RADIOSHACK for under $20 . It comes w/ a 6.76 fl. oz. pump spray bottle and 16" x16" Microfiber cleaning cloth . Used cloth and spray on our display w/ good results . We store the cloth in the bottom pull out drawer in center console . Just be careful not to get excess spray on plastics of dash , etc. , could stain . I sprayed light mist on cloth 1st. Good Luck

4. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I use no liquids whatsoever.

When I bought a pair of glasses, I also picked
    up a pair of eyeglass cleaning cloths.

One I use for the glasses; the other stays in
    the not-so-secret storage compartment.

The screen looks great. I just wipe it
    down as needed with the cloth.

5. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BillP @ Mar 26 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]412659[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks so much for the info; I just purchased one for me and one for our daughter who just bought a new Prius. :)

6. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a nushield for my Prius and find that I can't see the screen well with afternoon sun on it. Anyone else notice this?

7. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prudence @ Apr 15 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]423712[/snapback]</div>

Same here.
    Carl

8. Gaelyn37

Gaelyn37 Gaelyn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malibucarl @ Apr 4 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]417827[/snapback]</div>

I had the same problem with my NuShield and got their same response. I could not distinguish any differences with their rub technique, so I tried the protector with both sides until I got a good fit. I still see a bit of a glare from the protector in the daylight? Other than that I like the product. Good luck.

Gaelyn

9. patcoghm

patcoghm Junior Member

The fingerprints will not budge. Any other suggestions out there? I would think this would be a very common problem. Thanks for any input. Jillie [/quote]

First thing to do is Get a "Prius Hood" for you MFD. When you shade the screen the fringer prints are not as apparent from the sun hitting them, which makes them stand out. Then stop using you finger to touch the screen. Use the back of your finger nail to touch the screen. It works. I tried the screen protectors, using pencil erasers, and many other methods in an attempt to get rid of the finger prints. But eventually it needs cleaning and I used a cloth hankey with a little water.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that I've finally used it I can report that isopropanol (about $2 at most pharmacies; NOT "rubbing alcohol", which contains additional junk) on an old cotton rag works great.

11. ozyran

ozyran New Member

A method I use for cleaning the LCD screens on the desktop, laptop, PDA, and the LCD t.v. is to mix 1 part water to 1 part rubbing alcohol, moisten a lint-free cleaning cloth (the cloths for cleaning eyeglasses works VERY well for this), and gently wipe the screen. Then, while the screen is still damp, dry it quickly with a dry paper towel. It's a cost-effective alternative to the LCD screen wipes.

Hope this helps out.

12. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prudence @ Apr 15 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]423712[/snapback]</div>
    Add me to the list of those who feel that the Nushield is a waste of money. It was a bit finicky to install, which would have been okay if it reduced glare. However, it doesn't do that (and actually makes the MFD harder to see in some situations).

I recommend keeping a small spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner and a soft cloth in the glove box to keep the MFD clean. That is a lot cheaper than buying a Nushield.

13. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Most camera stores sell LCD cleaning systems that work great. The box I bought is a two part Handi-wipe type product. One application works for a long time. I'm happy and it cost about $10.

Robin