1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fire in a prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by E Silver, Dec 5, 2015.

1. E Silver

E Silver New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drove my car on Wednesday morning for about 5 minutes, when I parked and turned it off, sensed a REALLY bad and strange smell but couldn't pinpoint if it was the car, or the parking garage at home (which is underground, locked), or outside. Dismissed it from my mind. Two hours later, drove the car to work (10 minutes) parked it in underground garage. Turned engine off. Saw smoke/steam? coming from hood on the right side. Got out, thinking I would lift the hood and have a look but as I approached right side of car I could see flames shooting out from underneath the right headlight (could see the flames through the headlight) so I ran to get help. Took a bit of time to find water hose in the parking garage but finally got it out. Car is a write off.... absolutely was not sabotaged, no arsonists, nothing ..... Toyota guy from Toyota place across the street walked over to have a look, said it was a total loss, no idea what happened. Doesn't seem like Toyota is really concerned either! I was REALLY shaken as I feared that there could be a chain reaction of all the parked cars going up in flames.... smoke was thick, people were choking... seems that other than getting a cheque from the insurance, there is nothing I can do to find out the cause of the fire. People keep saying in various forums that nothing is located on the right..that could catch on fire. Faulty wiring? any ideas? I can't write to TOYOTA headquarters to complain as cannot locate any address/email.....

Thing is, I've got a second Prius in Canada...... for last 11 years. I've been delighted with both cars. Now I'm really, really terrified of this happening again - and not knowing why or how it can happen.... so I'm really thinking of never buying another prius...

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
    #1 E Silver, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was a member in the United States, had his Prius go up in flames. It was in his driveway in front of garage, there was some damage to front of garage too I think.

He's got a thread here; can't find just now but there is something. Toyota was investigating, not sure if anything conclusive came of it.

At least you're ok, all the best.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear of your harrowing experience, but I remember reading hereabouts of a headlight unit getting very hot to the point of melting the plastic! :eek: I think the cause was determined to be a badly fitted headlamp-bulb. "search" for "HID melt headlamp" might dig out the thread(s). BTW, welcome to PriusChat - the very best place to learn all you'll ever need to know about your (flaming (sorry)) Prius! - Wil ;)

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP: please, please report the incident to NHTSA, this is a huge safety issue.
    File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

these are obviously rare events, but if that happened to me, i would have lost a house, all my belongings, and maybe even my family. these are serious things.

#4 Former Member 68813, Dec 5, 2015
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What type of headlight was it? Halogen? HID? LED?
    Was the bulb replaced recently?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny how this never happens to priuschat members. guess we've got our guardian angel danny watching over us.:)

aftermarket mod?

it's amazing how few alt fuel vehicle fires there are.

PLSPUSH and wjtracy like this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So glad you are OK.
    Just to be clear, you are saying passenger side front head lamp region.

Yes we had one similar USA Gen3 report earlier...long thread...should be easy to find. There were a couple other fire reports, but the one is the most obvious match.

How many miles on the car? We are in the same boat as you, the other case we have the car was destroyed and no cause was given.

The general specific causes I guess would be electrical, fuel leak, other leak (lubes/antifreeze). The general root cause could be orig equip defect, after market mod, faulty maintenance ( say loose plug or something), or some deterioration mode, say winter road salt.

It's like HV battery life, I bet internally Toyota must have some good data. But we do not. We just have a small sample of owner reports, sometimes trolls.

#7 wjtracy, Dec 5, 2015
  8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i found it, here: 2010 Prius Caught Fire | PriusChat

there is one thing in common, both fires started in right front end. there is nothing major electrically there, except for AC compressor. there was also some speculation in the previous thread about coolant leak on an exhaust pipe.

Mendel Leisk and wjtracy like this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that's the one most similar

10. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not that it is the reason for the fire, but the AC compressor is an electric pump. If a pump bearing fails, it can cause high heat and ignite something, perhaps. It could be an electrical fire.

My 1999 Ford Ranger had a recall for the cruise control system starting a fire. It could happen at any time, even sitting in a garage in the middle of the night with the ignition off.

#10 HGS, Dec 5, 2015
  11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Automobiles catch on fire every day. I would not pop the hood as that will feed the flames. From:
    Vehicles

U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010. These fires caused an average of 209 civilian deaths, 764 civilian injuries, and $536 million in direct property damage.

Facts and Figures
    • Automobile fires were involved in 10% of reported U.S. fires, 6% of U.S. fire deaths.
    • On average, 17 automobile fires were reported per hour. These fires killed an average of four people every week.
    • Mechanical or electrical failures or malfunctions were factors in roughly two-thirds of the automobile fires.
    • Collisions and overturns were factors in only 4% of highway vehicle fires, but these incidents accounted for three of every five (60%) automobile fire deaths.
    • Only 2% of automobile fires began in fuel tanks or fuel lines, but these incidents caused 15% of the automobile fire deaths.
    Source: NFPA's "Automobile Fires in the U.S.: 2006-2010 Estimates" report by Marty Ahrens, September 2012.

NFPA does not test, label or approve any products.
    Updated: 5/13

Robert Holt likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Surprised your insurance company doesn't seem to want to investigate.

I think The Prius is a complex machine. There are probably a lot of things that could happen to cause a fire. But if nothing is visually obvious, then it would take an investigation.

If nobody wants to do it, or thinks it's worthwhile, then I suppose I'd just be happy my insurance wasn't balking, and accept the check, assuming it is a fair settlement, and I'd start looking for my next vehicle.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is for vehicles in the U.S.A. The OP is not even in North America, so needs to find a similar agency in his own country.

14. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The OP has also not been seen here since five minutes after making the post:
    E Silver | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ..but we have 20 post rule, right? no more than 20 posts unless OP comes back.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm in.:p

17. kbb

kbb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    Glad you are all ok. Our 2010 Prius caught on fire in February in the middle of the night while we were asleep. The fire started by the right front headlight. It had been serviced the day before. Our house was a total loss due to fire and/or smoke & water damage. Yes, we had smoke detectors but they are not in the garage (that would be a good law I think) so by the time we woke up the house was in flames. Fortunately we all survived and were able to get out of the house. I tried to add our story to a previous chat about Prius fires. Toyota has been most unhelpful. Just FYI. Best wishes to you.
    -Kirsten

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow per below...how do you know it was headlamp? and any idea of mechanism about how that could happen?

Good point about garage safety. The overall point as we go to more electrified cars, the incidence due to electrical could increase, and of course we are saying all vehicles are susceptible. So a garage fire is a generic issue. I was just looking at an old alarm system we have in the attic maybe I could put the speaker in the garage and hook up a fire detector.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put a smoke detector in the garage when a serial arsonists was on the loose in the region, decades ago, targeting garages and carports.

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even though not code, it is a good idea to have a commercial fire break door between the garage and the house. If there is living space bordering or attached then it should all be fire rated, even the drywall, studs, and insulation. Not minimum code, so your basic crappy house won't have it. It makes sense though, you have buckets of paints and chemicals just sitting there in the garage along with 1 or 2 or 3 large metal masses with gasoline bombs in them parked in your house. Nobody should think that vehicles are completely safe. Also a good idea to have a smoke detector that can detect heat as well as smoke and a separate carbon monoxide detector, hopefully linked to other alarms in the occupied area of the home. If an alarm sounds in the garage and only the garage, is it really an alarm?

As JimN pointed out, car fires happen all the time. It is not uncommon at all. A bit of gas hits a hot engine, an electric something overheats, or one of a thousand other things happen. The Prius is no safer or less safe than other cars from the data.

Unfortunate it happened, but I would take the insurance company's "blah" attitude about it as reassurance that they deal with it all the time. Important thing is that you're safe.