1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Firefox 2.0 debuts Tuesday afternoon. (10/24/06)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 25 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]338011[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think so. I also had been using RC3. I then downloaded and installed the "official release" and it appears to be the same build as RC3 (released on 10/16).

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 25 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]338138[/snapback]</div>
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

check out ie tab. :)

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 25 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]338011[/snapback]</div>
    RC3 and FF2 are bit identical.

RC3 was a “Release Candidate†which passed, therefor was released as the final version for FF2.0.

If you wish to be absolutely sure, click on HELP > CHECK FOR UPDATES, and you should see NO UPDATES AVAILABLE.

If you click HELP > ABOUT MOZILLA FIREFOX, you will see ". . . Firefox/2.0."

Having started with any of the FF2 release candidates, you are good for future automatic updates and there is nothing else for you to do, except . . . ENJOY!!!! :)

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 25 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]338334[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I thought. I got the no updates available message, but wanted to be sure it wasn't because 2.0 was tagged as separate from RC3. Looks like I've been on 2.0 for a while now here at work. Time to update at home.

Now if I can only convince my wife to stop using IE .... :unsure:

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 23 2006, 03:02 AM) [snapback]336668[/snapback]</div>
    What's the point? If the O.S. already contains tons of space dedicated to the Microsuck browser, you have to add another browser. Most folks cringe at the thought of adding more storage, just to add redundant programs. It's a crying shame that the Fed's can't force Bill Gate's minions to remove internet explorer like Windoze used to be . . . a ver long, long time ago.

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Oct 26 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]338644[/snapback]</div>
    What's the point? To not be using an inferior product, mainly. Unless you have an old machine or store a lot of video, the size of Firefox shouldn't be a problem. It only takes up about 22MB on my laptop.

Plus it runs on both my XP machine and my Linux box.

Try it. You might be surprised.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anybody have an issue with bookmarks not transfering? I had no problem when I updated to 2.0 on my main PC, but when I updated my laptop the my homepage "my yahoo" showed up as expected, but my entire list of bookmarks disappeared!

Any way to restore those?

8. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you update to FF2 from FF1.5 or from IE?

If from FF1.5 do a search in your "my documents" folder on the c drive for "bookmark.htm" or "bookmarks.htm" I dont remember which at the moment. Your bookmarks will be in that html file.

If from IE you bookmarks are in your favorites folder in the my documents.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was from FF 1.5 or so. I tried the "Import" feature and it found some old mozilla and Netscape stuff as well as the IE stuff, but it didn't upload what I had on the prior version of FF (ie. tabs folders and stuff).

When I find the bookmarks.htm file how do I get FF to install them like they were?

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 26 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]338673[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, this should answer your question . . .
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there must've been a problem with the install. It had frozen up on me a couple of times mid use and was acting just a bit odd...like it wouldn't load Priuschat from the bookmarks list after I'd done the import function. So, I just reinstalled and now things seem to be fine. All the old tabbed bookmarks are there and I haven't had a crash.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok when i click on links in emails, i used to get a new window opening which i prefer. how do we get back to that, as it stands now, it opens in another tab which my mouse does not have the option to toggle between (alt-tab is programmable on my mouse ctrl-tab is not) i have the browser set to open a new window but it doesnt seem to work, whats up?

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My bookmarks remained, but I've lost the ability to change the font size with CMD-Scroll, and View->Text Size->Increase/Decrease do not work.

Also, the close-tab "X" disappears from all but the active tab when there are too many open tabs, so I have to click on a tab to make it active before I can close it. I liked being able to leave the mouse pointer in one spot and close multiple tabs by clicking several times.

What did not change is that some sites (including some Mozilla sites) have overlapping text, which is therefore impossible to read. Perhaps because I changed a parameter somewhere to make the text in web pages larger, because I could not read the tiny default size?

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 26 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]338801[/snapback]</div>
    Look at TOOLS > OPTIONS > TABBED BROWSING > LINKS . . . in the GENERAL area, adjust the appropriate box to suit your needs

Did that work?
    I tried and it worked as advertised on all three of the available options for an external link . . . in this case from an email program (Thunderbird).

I'm a little confused about your need to ctrl-tab program your mouse button in order to toggle between tabs. Doesn't directly left clicking the tab work for you? If by chance it helps, you can also rearrange the order of the tabs by dragging them into the location you want.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 26 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]339061[/snapback]</div>
    If Mozilla's own web pages aren't rendering properly, then I would hazard a guess that you somehow goofed-up your Preferences.

First I would delete and reinstall FF2 if this is a new problem which has cropped-up since installing FF2.

Don't worry about bookmarks and other personal items. They are stored in a separate area and will not be erased with a Firefox uninstall.

If the problem remains, try starting FF in Safe Mode.
    NOT Windows' Safe Mode . . . Firefox's Safe Mode.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Don't reset anything yet. Be careful NOT to check the box for resetting bookmarks . . That WILL wipe out your bookmarks!!!

Revisit the offending web pages. If they look correct in FF Safe Mode, but not in Normal Mode, that tells you you have messed-up your configuration somehow.

If you have any extensions try disabling them one at a time and revisiting the offending web page. If that doesn't work, I'd go back into FF Safe Mode and reset preferences [BUT NOT BOOKMARKS!!!!]

I'm betting an uninstall/reinstall and/or Safe Mode preference reset will do the trick.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 26 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]339061[/snapback]</div>
    That is an “upgrade†change in FF2 which has made quite a large number of people upset. Mozilla should leave any preference changes like that for the user to do via add-ons/extensions. I hate it too. I liked having the “x†stay in one spot on the right side of the Tabbed Browsing Tool Bar . . . no need to hunt and peck to close tab after tab. <_<

16. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The biggest inconvenience to me is the loss of email icon on the desktop. It does not seem to be available to reinstall from the customize area. Did this happen to anyone else?

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    not rendering a page correctly is a problem all browsers have. usually F5 or refresh will clear that up. its a coding problem with certain websites that does format the page correctly while loading. sometimes the page straightens out when the page is loaded, sometimes it doesnt.

as far as setting tab preferences, i have it set to a new page to open a new window and it still does not do it.

to toggle from one tab to another, ctrl-tab as opposed to alt-tab is needed. my programmable mouse has alt-tab as an option for one of the 5 buttons i have and it is the 2nd most used button beside the left click. its nice because it can be done while clicking on a multi-link email, i alt-tab back to the email, in this fashion, i can open several windows in seconds.

being left-handed, keyboard shortcuts are usually anything but. so ctrl-tabbing or alt-tabbing requires me to take my hand off the mouse. not my preferred method of doing things.

if there is a specific setting to make all pages open in a new window, let me know. the intuitive approach is not working

18. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  19. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, I tried it...

I like the spell checker.

I'm not so crazy about how it draws the page before it's finished loading enough information to layout the page. IE holds off the layout of tables until it has enough information to determine the size of each of the table cells. FireFox draws tables incrementally, as it receives data. I know this is one of it's "features", but on some sites it's really distracting to see the page jump, warp, and rearrange several times as it's loading.

Additionally, it doesn't work properly with my stock broker's web site. (Or my stock broker's site doesn't work properly with FireFox, depending on your perspective) So, I'm sticking with IE, but I might keep FireFox around for PriusChat and the spell checker.

Also, I'm not quite sure why "Tabbed Browsing" is such a great thing. I typically open several browsers at the same time, and the "Tabs" for me have always been the Task Bar at the bottom of the Windows Desktop. The "Tabbed Browsing" is just an unnecessarily new way to do what I already did and ends up confusing me because I go to close a page by closing the window and end up getting that damn dialog box warning me that I'm really closing multiple tabs. Of course, the new IE has Tabbed Browsing now too, so I'm just going to have to get used to it. It sure seems like a "solution looking for a problem".

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    tabbed browsing is good especially when you want to save several pages from the same site. or on a certain subject.

for example....just saved this morning...

interested in the CANVIEW for the 2006 that Norm is about to release. it requires a touch screen to be added, so i googled and saved three different sites under one link, one bookmark but opens 3 different tabs.

but its like everything. if you have a use for it good... if not, well maybe you will tomorrow