1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Firefox goes berserk!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Oct 8, 2011.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just Googled Text Wrangler. I'm not sure I'd have any use for it.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Text Wrangler is basically a simple text editor. The default text editor isn't that great, and Text Wrangler is freeware. Next to Chrome, it's probably the program I spend most time in. I heart text editors. I used to use BBEdit back when it was shareware, but now they want $40.00 so to hell with them.

NeoOffice looks good, but I chose OpenOffice for no particular reason.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I got my Mac (4? 5? years ago) I think you had to install X or something in order for OpenOffice to work. I couldn't figure out how to do that, and NeoOffice was native Mac code, and very nearly the same in other respects.

4. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And now I'm back to Firefox since Chrome started going berserk on me! It insists I want to sync bookmarks, including those that are either redundant to what I already have or simply don't want. When I delete them, as soon as Chrome starts up again it puts them all back in. When I then go to preferences and hit the "don't sync bookmarks" option under "sync", or better yet, "don't sync account" option, Chrome just freezes.

I opened Safari then closed it again remembering why I can't stand it (I refuse to use a browser that doesn't let me choose what I want the browser to open at. No, I don't always want to open it at whatever site I was looking at last. In fact, I almost never do).

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Safari > Preferences > General will let you open whatever page you want. I have it set for an empty page.

6. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That sort-of works. I had it on "Open to homepage (Google, for what it's worth)", which it interpreted as "Open to last page you were on". Opening to a blank page does indeed open to a blank page, which I can then go to Google (which A: is an extra unneeded step, and B: means I have to have it bookmarked on my toolbar because there's no "Home page" button). Sheesh, browsers have been opening to home pages since 1993; how hard could it be to implement for Safari? I'm guessing Steve Jobs HATED the idea of Home Pages, so nobody should ever have a Home Page for their browser ever.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Safari opens to my home page, regardless of what page it was last on. I mostly only use Safari to check my "other" Yahoo email, so I don't have to log in and log out all the time. Firefox (and now Chrome) open to blank pages ("about:blank") but when they go to Yahoo, Yahoo opens my main Yahoo account. I need a separate browser, with its own cookies, to check my "other" account without logging out of my main account. (Or having to log into a separate account on my Mac.) I don't like Safari, but it's okay for this. Occasionally I open a different web site with it, but it still always opens to the "home page" it is set to.

8. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, and your Home Page is set to "about:blank" which we already determined works. Now try setting it to, say, Google (or any other website that's NOT "about:blank"), then go to any website that's not your homepage, then exit Safari. If I'm correct, when you open Safari, you'll be at that page and not whatever page that's not blank that you set it to.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry. My post was a bit convoluted. My Firefox and Chrome home pages are about:blank. My Safari home page is Yahoo/mail.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Cmd-l , tab will put you in the google search box

Btw, I do not quit my browser unless it is acting up. What does safari do when you open a new tab?

11. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, but that won't give me my bookmarks, calendar, and latest headlines in one convenient location (when I say "my homepage is Google" I actually mean iGoogle).

Opens up a blank page, just like I asked it to. As an experiment just now I set it to "Open to homepage", hit new tab, and it opened to iGoogle.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, browsers are such versatile interfaces, most people find a way to set up the interface to their liking.

Eg, I use google gmail, calendar, and docs a lot, and I much prefer keyboard shortcuts over mousing...

So my setup is to use a program called launchbar to switch apps,
    And in my browser I put gmail as my first tab, google calendar as my second tab, and google doc as my third tab. My brain-finger reflexes are faster than my Mac, so all I usually see is a screen refresh from the moment I register intent to being in the google app I want from anything I was doing.

Actually, launchbar and a program called soho are the two reasons I have not switched to GNU.

Btw, Cmd- (1-9) let's the keyboard switch browser tabs. Gmail also has excellent keyboard shortcuts.