1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Firmware upgrade to onboard computer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by robman101, Aug 3, 2016.

1. robman101

robman101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm driving a 2014 Prius, and the onboard computer is horrible to the point of uselessness. Navigation is crap, other services like weather and find gas stations are crap, and it disconnects from my iphone randomly and frequently refuses to connect at all.

So basically, I'm wondering if after all this time there's been some kind of firmware upgrade that will make the onboard computer not total crap. Better yet, can I tear it out of the car, shoot it, and replace it with a not-crap computer?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While there are Navigation updates (new maps, etc. they are expensive and still 'crap' with a newer map.

If you have Entune, it's updates are free and still 'crap'

3. robman101

robman101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I take it I'm not the only one driven to a near-murderous rage by the horrible quality of the onboard computer? Why have multiple states not seceded over this?

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I learned very quickly that the onboard navigation is not the best in the world. Honestly, if you have to depend on a "unit" to assist you in directions, gas stations, and so forth you might consider investing in a Garmin Nuvi or something similar.

The Garmin Nuvi that I bought years ago has lifetime updates for the maps. It also finds POI such as gas stations, hospitals, restaurants and so forth.

The system that comes with the Prius is not the best in town, and the Entune service really lacks a lot in my opinion. I was real excited about it at first until I finally I got it all working on our 2013 Model Three. Not long after I found the problems that you describe and ended up just using the onboard nav system as a general helper. I depend on the Garmin more than anything, but nothing really beats a good up to date road map.

I have been mislead too many times by GPS units to shake a stick at. You have only yourself to blame if you misread a map, but if you are relying on a GPS (computer) to lead you sooner or later you will find yourself either at a dead end or not reaching your destination based on the guidance of said GPS.

No system is perfect. The best is to know your route before hand and be aware of any changes, construction, weather and what ever else might delay your arrival.

I wish I could tell you of a perfect computer (GPS system), but I really don't think there is such a thing. :rolleyes:

5. robman101

robman101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, I abandoned the concept of the onboard computer as a navigation tool about a month after I bought the car. What I would be happy with at this point is if the computer took less than two minutes to connect with my iphone so I can play music (and that's when it connects at all -- half the time it just won't).

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Typical blue tooth problems.

Try turning off text messaging, data, and only allow it to connect for music. It might work better then. I gave up on the music thing a LONG time ago. Too many issues with the blue tooth in my opinion. YMMV

You might try loading your music up on a USB flash drive and plug that drive into the USB port. I tried that with some MP3's one time and I think it worked. Like I said though, I have pretty much given up on the music thing. I don't even listen to the radio much anymore. After my one year subscription ran out on the XM radio, I simply turned it off and did not renew.

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No I use it a lot and like it, but it has not changed so if you think it is 'crap' now you would feel worse having spent money for more of the same.

(my first car was a 1962 Ford Falcon, they are all better than that it did not even have a PCV valve, it just vented fumes to the air, and the windshield wipers stopped while you were accelerating)

Maggs and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. robman101

robman101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You...gave up on music? What...what do you listen to when you drive?

9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    AM?
    FM?
    CDs?

10. robman101

robman101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I always said I wanted to return to the eighties. I guess I should have been careful what I wished for.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Old school hippie here, burnt out so to say. Enjoy the quiet when I can. Besides the road noise and the wife jabbering I can't keep up with much of anything else any more.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like the tech packages were a great option:mad:. Only having a II with a simple radio I guess I am not missing much:D. Have an iPhone with google maps. Works well. Also have the atlas in the back seat pocket, just in case ;).

dorunron likes this.
  13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOL, I was raised on 8 Track Tapes. Amazing how things have changed over the years. Dad even had one of those big
    "AIWA" brand Reel to Reel tape deck along with a very nice turn table with a large collection of "classical" vinyl at home hooked up to his custom built amplifier. Back then it was all about "Stereo" sound. 4 Channel Quadraphonic came along a few years later.

Heck I even remember the day Neil Armstrong said "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". Was it all a hoax? I hope not. Only NASA knows for sure...

How many here even remember "Jiffy Pop"? ;)

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our non-MFD 2010 we run a cable from our phones' earphone jack to similar jack in the centre arm rest, control the music through our phones' Interface.

15. robman101

robman101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wish there was an audio jack in the 2014 III Prius. It's all "high tech," which means nothing works. My wife drives an inferior low tech car, which means that I just plug my audio jack from my iphone to the car and everything works flawlessly.

SharkNX, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reminds of a few years back, driving a family member's Sunfire to Costco for a flat repair, muttering: "this piece of junk has a tach, and a coolant temp gauge, and..."

17. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There is (or at least i think there is). It should be in the center armrest next to the usb port. Unless you have a model that for some reason doesn't have this, but I thought all prius gen 3.5 models did...

The best audio solution I've used so far is a dedicated ipod classic (160 gig version) that is plugged into the usb port in the center armrest. It starts playing within seconds of turning on the car, remembers exactly where it was even mid song, and the browse features in the head unit work reasonably well.

#17 RaZa, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    SharkNX likes this.
  18. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check inside the center console. My 2014 PiP has one.

19. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm liking the idea of getting a 7" android tablet with 3G and a micro-sd card full of music, and mounting it where the display audio is.

20. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've entertained just about every idea for replacing the head unit with something better. Full out replacement android head units, tablets, home made pc computers, etc... In the end when I ask myself "to what end?" I realize it's just not worth it. The ipod works very well for music, and I don't think anything beats a garmin for gps. Plus phone integration and bluetooth already works pretty much flawlessly, and that's everything I need or care about. So I have never bothered as it's just not worth the trouble.

I've had my car 4 years now, and am glad I've never hacked in anything else for the head unit. It's all factory and looks great even if the headunit could have better features.