1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First 1,000+ miles tank on Gen III Enginer PHEV - It has a bigger thank than you think.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cproaudio, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing bad that might happen: the person next in line at the station, watching you coax in the tablespoons of gas, might get testy ;)

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your average speed seems to indicate you do 100% city, so this is a good example of what's possible in that scenario.

Well done, BTW, hope you're letting your friends, family and colleagues know what is possible with a PHEV. you'll be answering lots of questions about the "but it's only got 13 miles range!" thing later this year with the PHV...

3. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    May not be covered if Toyota finds out about it, could be considered abuse of the vehicle.

Here's an explanation of how the evap system works:
    EVAP Evaporative Emission Control System

Basically, overfilling the tank causes problems that you may not notice at first: the activated charcoal in the canister loses its ability to adsorb gas vapor, so you release gas vapor to the atmosphere, polluting the atmosphere. The charcoal is there to adsorb gas vapors from the headspace in the tank. Exposing it to liquid gas blocks the active adsorption sites.

Ultimately, debris from the tank is carried up into the canister by the liquid and blocks the canister, which then must be replaced.

It's surprising that the system will let you overfill it.

Getting-more-miles-per-tank by in effect making the tank bigger doesn't seem like a good reason to increase pollution.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Mendel, that has happened a few times they usually
    just go around me to the next pump....

alfon

5. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have checked in the owners manual and can not locate
    caution when filling the tank to the brim which will damage
    the canister filter.

I have a 2010 Prius maybe the 2011 Prius has added that in the owners manual.

alfon

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure if you notice this with your Gen III but with mine, I get poor mileage when the battery is drops below 6 bars. To prevent this, when I know that I will only park for less than 10 minutes for the errand, I keep the car in READY mode. The Enginer recharges the HV battery until it get up to 245v. After that, it drops down to 235v with 2.8a output to keep the car powered up. During that time, the average speed on the MFD drops. Afer the Enginer recharges the HV pack up, the EV mode is more peppier. I do take it on the freeway once in a while if I'm on a tight schedule. Even on the freeway at 65mph, I still get about 85mpg average.

My friends seem to think that gasoline is part of a monthly bill and that there's nothing they can do about it. They won't change their driving habit to save gas. They buy brand cars that get poor to moderate mileage and don't seem to care about it. They say that the car itself is more important than mileage it gets and willing to pay $30-$50 on gas a week. There is a guy at my work that just bought a brand new Jetta TDI though.

7. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I very rarely see less than 6 bars, so couldn't say anything conclusive. where i live is less than half a mile from a 60mph road going up a hill, i rarely get to drive below 46mph, so always in blended mode. braking heading into a village i get up to 7 bars, driving through the village, with the assist, i drop back down to 6, then back onto 60mph road. i wish we had some of your slower 40mph roads!

8. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    CPROAUDIO - Congrats! That is quite an accomplishment! If you hadn't posted again near the end, I too would have forgotten what this thread was really about.
    As for all you who see nothing wrong with "brimming' a tank......just keep it up..... time will tell whether it is proper or not, but remember it will only apply to THAT vehicle.
    I have a GMC pickup which I asked the dealer where I bought it about this very thing, he said "fill away" won't hurt it. And based on that I have done so all along. My Prius,....when it clicks off I try two more times on putting more in, then that's it! Toyota will attempt to deny any claim for a canister as I would think they would know what you are doing.
    Someone in one of these previous posts asked what the cost was of this "retro" fit of this Enginer PHEV kit was, didn't see anyone address it..........