1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First 5 minutes MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Fin, Jul 17, 2020.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As with most things, it just depends. That scenario covers light loads while heavy throttle/high speeds will require the ICE to add power to the wheels.

On my route to out of town and the highway on ramp where I know I'll be switching to gas, I engaged HV mode at the last stop sign and typically get about 30-45 secs of warmup before needing power from the ICE for the 75+mph speeds.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I engage HV mode in a similar manner for our Prime;).

While the car should take care of itself, I'll try to help it along if I know what lies ahead:).

So plus 1 to the above(y).

Grit likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You guys are talking plug-in? Ducks and Chickens. :rolleyes:

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What I said about power requests from the right foot still hold true; just the thresholds can be set higher (or avoided longer) with more powerful EV components in the equation.

#44 fotomoto, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don’t forget to include the prime also. It’s ducks, chickens and turkeys.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yeah..the whole current conversation arose from a 'side' question I asked about if the ICE on a Prime would turn on in COLD weather ( i.e. - under 14F so the heat pump won't kick in ) if I have the heat on in a parked car. And if so, if a block heater would be beneficial on the Prime. Thought it would be a simple answer...but the conversation turned into...something. :rolleyes:

#46 farmecologist, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Raytheeagle and ASRDogman like this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can't answer for the Prime per se but my other PHEV's each have different set points for ICE activation. Sorry I don't recall the actual temps (I think my gen1 volt was 25f) because that's not important to me as I don't see those kind of temps where I live.(y) One can also pre-condition the vehicle via the plug and warm both the interior and battery to avoid many unnecessary start ups; drivers in colder climes really, really like this feature.

The conversation concerning low fuel economy on short trips has not changed just expanded. Reduced EV range or ICE startups on PHEV's due to very cold weather have the same lowering effect on economy (physics yo') but no where near the amount that vehicles without a plug incur; hybrids included.