1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Couple of Fill Ups - Should I be Concerned?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by salguod, Oct 28, 2013.

1. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a 2007 Prius with 113K, I've had it about a week. Based on the EPA ratings and anecdotal evidence, I was expecting consistent MPG in the low to mid 40s. I've filled it up 3 times and I've gotten 34.9, 40.2 and 36.7 (based on my aCar android app calculations). The first was mostly the 2.5 hour trip home from the dealer, driving it much like I drive my Mazda3 - 8 over the limit (meaning 73-78 MPH), the second was mostly around town the third another 2.5 hour road trip at 65-70 MPH. Here in the northern half of Ohio we have some mild hills, but mostly pretty flat.

I haven't tracked against the indicated mileage on the dash, I plan to note it better, but I was pretty sure the last tank the average was in the low 40s (reset shortly after a fillup). Is it normal for the indicated versus actual to be 5+ MPG off?

The car came with a 60 day warranty so I'd like to know pretty quickly if there's an issue so I can have it addressed. 35 MPG is a big improvement over my 17.5 MPG SUV, but I'd like to get all the car is capable of.

BTW - I tried to read the file linked in the sticky post above, but the link is broken. Some more info, from the questionnaire above:
    • Temps have been 40-60 F.
    • No idea on the oil level.
    • No idea how old the 12V is or the overnight voltage.
    • Drives straight and true, no indicated alignment issues.
    • Replacement General tires installed by the selling dealer, not sure of the PSI.
    • No special efforts to stay in electric mode, driving it 'normally'.
    • My wife does let it warm up in the morning. That would apply to tank #2, mostly.
    • Driving in 'D', no 'B' mode.
    • Auto AC mode.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah, sounds like you're fine. if you want to know for sure and before the warranty is up, do all the things you haven't done above like tyre pressure, 12v test, tyre type, oil level and etcetera. and lastly, try driving a tank like a hypermiler and see how you do. all the best!(y)

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, bisco said it all. Look in my signature file. Links there about hypermiling.

Also tires play a big role in MPG. LRR tires make a BIG difference, so beware of that.

If you drive the Prius fast (over speed limits) it will NOT give you the EPA estimates.

I drive conservatively on the highway 60 max, use A/C sparingly and with cheap tires can meet or beat the EPA some of the time. With good LRR tires and synthetic oil I always beat the EPA.

Look at my two fuelly stats also. Second one is with the new LRR tires I purchased recently. Dramatic difference in EPA.

It is normal for a new owner of a Prius to experience what you are seeing. Once you employ all of the tricks, then you will start to see the better numbers on the MPG.

Best of luck to you.

Attached Files:

4. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tire pressure .... I'm running 44 front 42 rear .... Makes a difference

5. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Makes sense. I think the tires are General Altimax HPs. I need to check the pressures tonight.

Like I said, even 35-40 is a huge improvement, but I was hoping to consistently be in the 40s.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Once you start to hypermile, along with pumping the tires up, getting the oil right (synthetic is best 5W30) you should see a improvement. Read the attached file I posted for more info. Also read the link in my signature file that Wayne Gerdes posted. Between those two documents you will have a good understanding of what hyper miling is. FWIW, the MFD on the Prius I drive is reading 65 right now with 270 miles on the tank. Most of that was city driving and highway with a max speed of 55 and NO A/C usage. LEARN about hypermiling, then you will see the BIG numbers.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a link I found on clean mpg about your tires. Sounds like they are good tires, probably not LRR type tires. Most there recommend high tire pressure. Check the sidewall max. On Tirerack.com they are showing 51 max.

Check your pressure and pump them up to what is comfortable to you. Maintain two pounds less on the rear tires when setting the pressures. Also adjust pressures while the tires are cold. It is normal for the ride to get rougher as pressure is raised, so play with it and find what works best for you.

General Altimax HP - CleanMPG Forums

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean this one? Yes, many links broke during the website transition, and haven't yet been repaired.

Why Don't I Get The EPA Mileage?

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    fuzzy, if you didn't see it, I posted the file you are referencing. I had to hunt it down after the links got broken. You might want to save it for your records...

post #3 in this string

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another thing is, didn't you get the touring model? If so, those mpg ratings are pretty much spot on for someone driving like that in a touring model.

dorunron likes this.
  11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The General Altimax hp tyre is one of the few North American tyres on sale in Europe. Although these ware well comparing them tyres from other manufacturers. However they do not fare well in the rolling resistance department rating only (E) for rolling resistance on all sizes relating to the Prius gen2 and 3. Wet grip is reasonable at (C) rating. This is based on a scale rating tyres from (A) to (G), (A) being the best.
    The noise rating is a little high at 71db.

John (Britprius)

12. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I have a Touring. Were there different EPA ratings for the Touring model?

I didn't have a choice in the tires, the selling dealer put them on as part of their inspection process.

SCH-I535 ?

13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, they (car manufacturers) don't have to give different ratings for all the models unless they vary significantly (don't ask me what the def of significantly is). For instance, the Ford Focus doesn't have to give different EPA ratings for the base model and the top of the line sport model. Same with the standard Prius and the Touring.

As I stated to you when you were looking at this car, it is well documented that the Touring gets less mpg than the standard model. The difference varies widely by how its driven but the overall pattern is the same, the standard model always beats the Touring model for fuel economy.

dorunron likes this.
  14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sal,

At this point the best thing you could do is to bump the pressure up on the tires. Think about synthetic oil. Think about the tires. And definitely learn how to hypermile.

As said above, it is well documented here on PC that the Touring Model's do tend to get less mileage than the standard Prius.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I run a 2008 Tspirit Prius in the UK. It is as close as you can get to the US touring model, larger spoiler, 16 inch wheels, revised suspension, and navigation, blue tooth, reverse cam, auto park.
    I rarely get above 60 mph driving country lanes with lots of bends and hills. In the summer I get an easy 65 mpg (UK gallons), winter drops to 60 + this is with 205/55/16 LRR tyres, and 0w/20 synthetic oil.
    I do not hypermile but do drive thoughtfully and rarely use cruise control, but if I do usually on speed limit roads of 30 or 40 mph.

John (Britprius)

dorunron likes this.
  16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sal, if you read Britprius post above you will see something that stands out differently from your driving style. That is your speed.

It is a well known fact that the Prius will not deliver good mileage if you drive it fast ie: left lane with the traffic. As illustrated by John above, even the Touring models can meet the EPA estimates if you drive conservatively.

FWIW, when I first started driving our Prius I too said the same thing you are saying. What I did was to first change my driving habits, then refined it by going with LRR tires and synthetic oil and best thing yet was to be aware that speed along with usage of climate controls definitely affect the overall MPG. Don't forget the air pressure on the tires. It makes a BIG difference. I run 40 F, 38 R on the tires I am presently using. With the crappy Integrity I was running 42F, 40R. Your max is 51 on those General's so you should be able to go on up to at least 48F, 46R and still be safe. Just do not exceed the maximum pressure rating that is marked on the sidewall of your tires.

If you work at it, and apply all of the tips here that is suggested over time you should have NO problems meeting and or beating the EPA estimates.

Be patient and your efforts will be rewarded. It takes a little time to figure it all out.

Britprius likes this.
  17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    • Temps have been 40-60 F.

MPG will vary depending on ambient temp. Better in summer, lower in Winter

• No idea on the oil level.

Check the oil level. Keep it below the top dimple and way above the bottom dimple. Do NOT overfill. From bottom dimple to top dimple is 1.6 quarts. When changing oil and filter, do not overfill 3.5 quarts is sufficient 4 quarts is TOO much.

• No idea how old the 12V is or the overnight voltage.

Check the voltage. Run the test that is recommended here on PC (link in signature file). Post back all three figures.

• Drives straight and true, no indicated alignment issues.

Sounds good as long as tires are not wearing. Ask dealer if they aligned it, if so see if you can get the printout.

• Replacement General tires installed by the selling dealer, not sure of the PSI.

NON LRR Tires. Run the air pressure up to the maximum sidewall rating. Use two pounds less on the rear tires.

• No special efforts to stay in electric mode, driving it 'normally'.

Driving in "electric mode" is not efficient. Learn how to hypermile for best MPG.

• My wife does let it warm up in the morning. That would apply to tank #2, mostly.

The Prius wastes fuel when it is warming up like that. It is suggested to begin driving within one minute after entering "Ready Mode". The car will warm up faster if it is moving rather than just sitting there.

• Driving in 'D', no 'B' mode.

Good there, B Mode is only used when going down long inclines. It is like downshifting a traditional transmission when driving down a mountain.

• Auto AC mode.

If you use auto mode, try to be conservative on the settings. Be aware that the ICE will run if heat is being called for if the coolant is not warmed up and also the ICE will run more if you have the A/C cranked down during the summer. IE: try 76 during the summer and during the winter try 74. If you set it on low or you will be wasting energy. Since all of the energy is ultimately derived from the ICE, the better you can control the climate inside, the less fuel you will burn.

One other thing on auto mode, during the winter time turn off the A/C compressor. That will help a lot with the MPG. Even though it is electric, it still uses energy derived from the ICE.

retneprac likes this.
  18. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all.

I'm going to check, and likely up, the tire pressures, verify the oil level but i'm not planning on trying to eke every last MPG out of it. I do suspect that my driving habits will change, but not drastically. I guess we'll see. My wife will be the primary driver, however, and I doubt that she will either.

Although 35 MPG on the highway is over 20% less than the EPA estimate and less than I hoped, it's still 10 MPG better than the other cars we were considering (Subaru Outback, Honda Accord and Toyota Camry were all around 25 MPG average) and double our SUV. My main concern was learning if it was out of the ordinary and I should have it checked out.

Oh, I checked the tire brand when I got home and they are not the General Ultimax HP, they are the General G-Max AS-03. Not a LRR tire either, I'm not sure if it's any better.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sal, just for grins. Try the things suggested for at least a tank or two. That way you will see the difference. After that, then decide whether or not it is worthwhile to get the best MPG or just settle for it the way it is. Remember, when I first started driving our Prius, I saw the same things you are seeing now. It was after I changed my ways, that I got the better MPG.

I do agree that the Prius is economical, but if you drive it conservatively you can achieve much better MPG. Look at it like this, you bought the Prius to get good MPG. Why not try to get the best. In the end you will have more money in your pocket which will help you in more than one way.

Good luck to you and enjoy your Prius!

usnavystgc likes this.
  20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ron,
    Those are all excellent points. Great post!!!

Sal,
    Definitely (at a minimum) read the third url link in "dorunron"'s signature line (http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt). Understanding those modes is critical for getting the most out of your Prius (in my opinion anyway).

Phil

dorunron likes this.