1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Couple of Fill Ups - Should I be Concerned?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by salguod, Oct 28, 2013.

1. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An update: Last fill up - 40 MPG. MFD indicated 43.2, so it's a bit optimistic. 16 miles into the next tank it's indicating 53 MPG!

Checked the tire pressures just now and they were between 26 (!) and 30. Bumped the fronts to 44-45, the rears about 42.

(BTW, Can I ask that you use the full 'salguod' instead of sal? Salguod is my first name, Douglas, backward. Though in person I go by the shorter 'Doug', I never go by 'las'. :D Thanks.)

dorunron likes this.
  2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Salguod - One thing that has not been mentioned is that the Gen 2 Prius has a bit of a funky gas tank - it is resin and has a bit of flex in it. For this reason you might not be getting an accurate measurement if you are doing miles driven divided by gallons pumped. Because of the flex you never quite know what full is.

I know that does not change the fact that the mpg's that you are experiencing are lower than you hoped, rather just a bit of info to help you put them in context, especially if you get one that is really high.

Take the advice that the other have given about tire pressure, oil, etc - every little bit helps. Then just drive it like any car and know that you are getting quite a bit better mileage than you would with anything else.

dorunron likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    salguod,

Now I can see why your MPG is suffering. The tires being down like that will really kill the MPG. Keep an eye on them. Check them regularly and keep them pumped up.

And yes, stevemcelroy was talking about the infamous "bladder" in the gas tank. Also the gen II is known for it's "guess gage" which is commonly known as a fuel gage or gas gage. If you really want to get a good idea of what mileage you are actually getting, you should average a minimum of five tanks of fuel for a baseline. A lot of us here use Fuelly - Track and Compare Your MPG to keep up with the average. It is free for the asking. Just click on the link, setup your account and go from there. If you have your receipts from your fuel purchases so far, you can add them in too. You can also keep track of all of your cars there.

Good luck once again!

4. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I read a bit about the bladder tank. Still, with now 5 fill ups and all under expectations, it seems to be low rather than high.

I'm hoping the tire pressures will make a difference, we'll see. I was surprised to see one as low as 26, the other 3 at 30 isn't surprising. The tires were replaced by the dealer in warmer weather and they likely inflated them to a normal 32-35, so 30 in colder temps is about right.

I'm curious, why the advised difference of ~2 psi front to back?

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I understand it, it is due to the increased load on the front end from the weight of the engine and transaxle.

Don't expect great MPG this winter, as the Prius like all car's suffers a little during cold temps. As the temps warm and air the dries out the MPG will improve during the spring, peak during the summer depending on how you use the A/C and then deviate slightly through the fall until Winter hits again.

FWIW, if you drive the Prius like a normal car, you will very rarely get the EPA estimates, especially in the Touring model. With that said, what you are seeing is normal for your conditions.

However if you choose to continue with the quest for better MPG, it can be done if you will employ some or all of the tips that have been mentioned to you in the past.

Tire pressure does make a difference, no doubt about it. That alone will raise it up. Remember that the bladder will mislead you. Ignore tank to tank, and look at the overall figure for an accurate MPG.

Read the attached file for more information.

Attached Files:

6. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point on winter vs. summer. My Mazda3 averages around 30 MPG summer, but only 26-27 in winter.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you haven't done so, take the time to read the pdf I posted above. Also, take a look at the stages of the operational modes. Link in my signature. With those two documents, you can get a good idea of just how the Prius operates and improve your MPG over time.