1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First day with my Prius Plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tracksyde, Mar 2, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I saw the first screen shot of 44 MPG and I'm thinkin' what? ... I'm gonna go photo my CONS which is at 53 today ...

then I see the 763 MPG screen :eek: and I'm like ... it's coo ... no contest here :D

I want a plug-in, a big new toy, ... but I ain't gonna get one, wahh :(

Seriously, congrats all of you. It was said 4 years ago at the first 'Plug-in America' conference ever, in San Jose, CA, that Plug-in Hybrids stand the best chance, at least for now, of becoming 'mainstream' plug-in electrified vehicles. I really hope so. PiP, Volt, whateva, go clean, go green, let's do this America!

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    While you have a choice to CHARGE or not charge, the Leaf MUST charge, as it has no backup power source, so get used to those "Leafs" hogging the J-1772 chargers. You should see if there is a 120V outlet near them, as thats all you would need to charge, 3 hours and it would be done @ 120V.

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tracksyde,
    The two-tone looks really nice. Do you know the number
    _ for the darker one? Maybe 112?Dianne gave that for the dark charcoal, which they won't have until next week. I think it's worth waiting for.

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I dont have the numbers, sorry. But it was the Dark Charcoal that Dianne had picked out as matching the dash (and she was right, its a very close match). The lighter section I picked was just called Gray, I think. I thought the Gray matched the original door panel section nicely. I'll head out to the car in a bit for a few more pictures.

1 person likes this.
  5. ely105

ely105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Nope, no 120VAC anywhere, i'd be fine with that option if we had it. That has been brought up but we're lucky to have anything at this point. On one hand i appreciate that the Leafs need to charge, depending on what the drivers commute distance is. But i'm trying to keep my emissions low as well, so while i appreciate their need, i'm not going to give up on charging mine.

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You should see if you can do some parking spot juggling so you can charge, too. With 6 cars and 2 EVSEs and 8 hours in a work day, that's 16 hours of charging available or about 2.5 hours each. Almost enough to charge the PiP twice and enough for a LEAF to pick up 30 miles of range. Unless someone is commuting 90+ miles/day in their LEAF, that should be more than enough for everyone.

As a LEAF owner, I'd be more than happy to move over once I have enough charge for my next trip to let others plug in, especially since the PiP only takes about 1.5 hours to charge from empty to full on L2 - then when done knowing there's a shortage of charging stations you should move your car to let others charge.

The LEAF can send it's owners an email and/or text message when charging is done. Can the PiP do the same?

IMO - the way to keep plug-hoggers from hogging plugs is to charge even a nominal fee when plugged in. Even $0.50/hour would deter most from hogging a plug when done charging.

1 person likes this.
  7. ely105

ely105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Yep, my PIP emails me any time it's finished charging or charging has been interrupted.

There are some recommendations for for using charge cards on the dash and sharing the chargers. Though most folks don't do that. Though part of the problem is proximity. They installed the chragers so that only about 2-3 cars can reach the charger. So sometimes I can't even get within distance of the charger. They should have installed them so that about 4 cars could park next to them so at least you can get in line.

I imagine they will start charging $ for the service at some point, which is ok, although I think the space issue needs to be solved as well.

8. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Going home on a full battery, I was hoping I could make it the whole way on electricity. But there was something I didnt really think about.. my house is at 495 foot elevation and my work is at 55 foot elevation. Most of my route to work is flat. The major elevation change starts about 2 miles from my house.

Its at about 2 miles before I got home that I ran out of juice and the ICE kicked on (about 10.9 miles into my drive). From there, I went from a displayed 999MPG to 172MPG.

A couple observations:

I think 1 mile before you're out of juice, the battery display turns into "bars" (prior to turning into bars, its much more "solid" in appearance). The bars (and your available EV range) start disappearing/decreasing until it reaches 0 EV and then the ICE turns on.

I think EV acceleration is decent. But I dont know if its just everyone was in a rush to get home or if it was because it was Friday evening or what, but I felt like I needed a lot more throttle to keep up with traffic and not get run over.

My drive to work was 13.3 and my drive home was 13.1. The difference is that in the morning I drop my kids off at school. So I guess its 0.2 miles to drive into the school parking lot and back out. Other than that, my drive to and from work was along the exact same route.

Anyway, here are the screens.. I turned off the car before I got my 5 min consumption screen, but was able to get the 1 min consumption from the display audio screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those on a phone or smaller screen:

13.1 miles EV/HV
    10.9 miles of EV
    23 MPH average
    172 MPG Cons.

I think Monday, I may take the same route to work. But I'm going to try my old route going back home, which included 2-3 miles at 60+ MPH since I now know I can't make it home on pure EV.

17 people like this.
  9. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see where the battery in this image differs from the next one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

interesting. I got lots of questions...
    Does the battery indication differ in HV mode vs EV mode?
    Does HV mode behave differently with a fully EV charged battery vs depleted EV charge?
    Does there seem to be any "blending" enhancement in HV mode with a fully charged EV battery?
    Is there a "Glide" range while driving in EV mode, or is it just EV and Regen?
    Is the *new* ENERGY screen on the 2012 MFD useful for manipulating any of this while driving, the way it is in a GEN2 Prius?

10. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the post.. good info. Too bad you cannot make it I really like the "consumption" display above.. shows the regen regions and gas and such. Very useful for improving performance. I'm guessing this data will be exportable/accessible in OBD2 for torque so one could do map overlays as well.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks nice. What strikes me most, as an EV driver, is all the concern related to the small battery and the EV power limit: Accelerate too hard or use heat or even forget to shut the heater off at the end of a cold-weather drive, and the ICE comes on. The need to think about routes as related to speed, and to juggle EV vs. ICE usage to minimize energy usage and gas consumption.

My biggest annoyance with the low-power Xebra was that it couldn't keep up with the flow of traffic, so if people were behind me they clearly got annoyed. In that car, there was nothing I could do about it. I would not like having to decide between using gas or holding back traffic when accelerating from a stoplight. I much prefer a proper EV, where I can accelerate quickly, and where I get instant heat without an ICE.

The PiP sounds like a great transition to electric, just a few years too late. With Leaf, Tesla, and Volt on the road, the PiP's electric range and power seem too small to really think of it as intended for EV driving. I'd say it's more a gasoline car with a moderate mpg boost from a grid-electric assist during short commutes. Trying to keep it in EV mode makes me think of trying to pound in a nail using a plier: too small a tool for the job.

If I didn't have my Tesla, I'd be envious of the Leaf owners, not the PiP owners. I hope this doesn't sound too negative. It seems like a very nice car. I just don't think it's the right car if what you really want is to be driving on electric.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Daniel, I agree that PiP is the wrong car for someone who drives fairly short distances and who is intent on using zero gasoline.

But consider my situation. I'm an average guy, at least in many respects. I have an 86 mile daily commute through heavy traffic. Moving closer to my office is not an option.

I would happily accept your donation of a Tesla S, but short of that car, I believe that the Nissan Leaf is not a viable solution for me, because I could easily have a dead battery with that much daily driving.

My 2010 Prius delivers consistent 48 MPG and better. With the Plug-in Prius my mileage may be about 70 or 80 MPG. I won't need to think about it, I expect that's just what it will be. And on weekends, I may have nearly pure EV.

We can never have a world 100% petroleum free, we simply need to reduce our consumption. Prius and Plug-in Prius let me do that. An all-Prius America would be a land of $1.50/gallon gasoline and clear blue skies. But I'd never be able to find my parked car in such a utopia.

At any rate, in my case, I just drive.

2 people like this.
  13. ely105

ely105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    my .02

Yes, maybe the PIP is too little too late, but i think it's the perfect car to get people hooked on EV. You don't have to think about range and charging, but if you do you get some good benefits. If you have a mix between long drives and short errands, it's also a great car.

Electric vehicles are still on the leading edge and I think there are still some battery technologies that are being worked out. I want to see how the EV cars today are still doing in 5-7 years. How much will it cost owners to replace batteries, etc. At least with a PIP if the battery becomes useless you still have a 50mpg ICE vehicle. I'm even hopeful that in 2-4 years either Toyota or some other aftermarket could come up with a higher density battery pack to give it 20-30+ mile range on EV.

My take is there is no winner here. And we are all going in the right direction with emissions/energy usage. We just need car mfg to do more, faster and cheaper.

1 person likes this.
  14. fberger

fberger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think that we all agree that the PiP is not an EV. Nobody would buy it to use 100% EV. The whole point of the car is to build upon the great success of the Synergy drive and raise to the next level of MPG and reduced pollution. It is and remains a Hybrid car, augmented with a larger battery. With it you can drive across the country at >50 MPG and refill with gas. No EV can do that of course. If that means using some gas once in a while to accelerate stronger in EV mode, or generate a little heat, then that is part of the package and will work very nicely. There are so many advantages in the whole idea of enhanced hybrid with a large battery that we will easily accept a few compromises.

Besides, I think that most people on PC will like to play the game of trying to use as little gas as possible in EV blended mode. The Pip allows you to play that game, whereas a full EV like the Leaf or Tesla is probably a little more "boring" in that sense. The PiP is a big toy for a lot of us :)

5 people like this.
  15. hmcgregor

hmcgregor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, The major point of the PiP is to eliminate the "worst" part of using the ICE... Very short trips.

Think of the mile a normal Prius gets when doing 2-5 mile trips, it's horrible. The PiP permits you to not use the ICE for these short trips, which will greatly increase the average MPG.

This is why my wife will be driving the PiP, and I will be driving our 2007. Almost all of her trips are under 10 miles, and one of the longest is to her parents house, where she can plug in to charge (at 7 miles each way).

My office is ~18 miles from our house, and I don't currently have a charging ability at the office (working on that).

In ~5 years when we are looking at another vehicle, it will be something like a Leaf (for me only) or a Tesla model X (if we decide that having room for the kids is needed), and I will probably drive it most of the time, since it will work for getting to the office nicely, and we will still have our PiP for long trips.

-Harry

1 person likes this.
  16. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    IMO - the PiP is just fine even today - this level of electrification should be an option for every single vehicle on the road. Should it have been available 2-3 years ago? We all wish. My only beef is the price premium of the PiP for the EV range. It should be significantly cheaper.

Looks like the PiPs are performing as advertised so far!

17. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But I'd love to be bored with a Tesela :rockon:

18. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my case, the concern related to the small battery and EV power limit is to try to keep it all electric simply as a test. Going to work, I think will not be an issue. With me getting used to the throttle and EV limit, I was still able to make it to work fairly comfortably (no fear of being run off the road). Going home was different, as I said above. So on Monday, I will take a different route that will incorporate some HV driving while retaining a bit of EV capability for closer to home (where I ran out on Friday).

If this forum did not exist, I would probably just be driving it just like a regular Prius and getting the MPG boost from the larger battery and I would be happy (let's not forget my last 7 years were spent at 18.03mpg). But reading about the different ways I may be able to further decrease my gasoline usage and maximize my EV usage has piqued my interest. I also realize there are many who may appreciate this information. I myself will appreciate what information john1701a will be providing when he gets his PiP. :)

In any case, I'll be out and about today. I have not even tried what it's like to force on the ICE while in EV mode. I will do that today. There's still a lot I want to experiment with before I find a suitable usage "pattern" for myself.

5 people like this.
  19. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    awesome numbers and great photos.

i'm waiting to see the abusive owner. the guy who jackrabbits, and drives like he's a teenager. i like to have the hard core date of the absolute worse. this is the things other people feed upon for their negative comments and i like to crush them...

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No pressure, eh? :rolleyes:

I appreciate the information you've shared so far. It brings me back to Sept/Oct 2000, right when I got my first Prius and others were craving any nugget of online material they could access. Those of us having taken delivery already did the best we could to feed that hunger.

It's actually quite fun! :rockon:

1 person likes this.