1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First dealer oil change....should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kalome, Sep 17, 2012.

1. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I inflated the tires to 40 PSI right after the oil change so it wasn't that. I doubt they touched the brakes on a 10K service. The average MPGs have returned to previous levels so I think it was synthetic the oil breaking in.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Dealers are supposed to use 0-20 Syn in your oil change, check with the Toyota zone office if they say anything else, if need be you can ask the zone office to enlighten the dealership, after all Toyota is really paying for the "free" oil change.

3. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I specifically told the service guy to leave my tires 42/40. He wrote it down and said they would leave it.
    When I got home all 4 tires were deflated to 35.
    Didn't check the oil though. He claims they used 0-20 instead of 5-20. I'm not going to worry about, so far getting 60mpg (dash reading) with a little over 200 miles with most of the time using AC.

4. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the oil changed today at Jiffy Lube with 0w-20 synthetic. The color on the dip stick is a light amber color almost as clear as when it was new. After the dealer oil change it was muddy and dark.

So now I know for sure that the dealer used a non-synthetic oil and then lied about it to my face. They lost my future business except for warranty repairs. I'll see if the average MPG goes up as it should. The drop in MPG was due to the non-synthetic oil.

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just do everything yourself and you won't have to worry about these problems. Even though I got the 1 year free oil change at the dealer, I still do everything myself because I don't trust them enough to put in the correct amount of oil.

Plus there's plenty of tutorial online to show you how to properly do an oil change. Just check my YouTube video on how to do it, pretty simple and easy.

Merkey likes this.
  6. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Simply visually inspecting the dipstick and seeing the oil as "muddy and dark" tells you nothing. There is no way you could tell by visual color inspection that the oil used, by the dealer or not, is non-synthetic (conventional), full synthetic, or blended.

If you want to find out if it's conventional, synthetic, or blended, you should have a sample sent to a lab to have it tested.

How many times did you check the dipstick when you saw it "muddy and dark"?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyo's 0W20 is a ruddier color. No big deal. We went to a Toyota Owner's Night soon after purchase. They had pitchers of the stuff in the service department (they get it in bulk, for their own service): someone commented on the color and the service manager said that's just the way it is. Did an oil change today with the stuff: it was $5.65 Can, per liter.

8. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    100% synthetics should not be dark. The oil looked conventional. Before the first oil change it was like amber beer color on the dip stick. Afterwards it was more like molasses. And the MPGs did go down significantly after the first oil change. So all points to them using the wrong oil, or at least an inferior 0w20.

9. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All does not point to them using the wrong oil. You are basing you conclusion on assumptions and not facts.

I really would like to know how you can determine that "100% synthetics should not be dark" and "oil looked conventional."?

You do know that MPG isn't solely impacted by the weight of the oil used. There are many factors that play into your MPG... tire pressure, air temp, gas formulation used at the gas station, route used, sitting in the car at idle running the A/C or heater, and the drivers use of the gas pedal.

10. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first oil change was in August, so cold weather wasn't a factor. The tires were at 40psi. Nothing changed but the oil and the average mpg went down by 3 to 4. I know what conventional oil looks like and that's what it looked like.

11. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

In general, average mpg does drop in the winter months. You do know that, right?
    Sept Oct, Nov, i'm sure the weather started getting colder.
    Why mileage gets worse in winter | PriusChat

12. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I said, it was in August. The MPG went down immediately while it was still warm.

13. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    over inflating or under inflating the recommended PSI for the tires may cause a little drop in MPG as well. Why do people always mess with what the manufactures recommend on their vehicles?

14. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    and I concur to your post.