1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First DIY Prius oil change this weekend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenGene, Jul 13, 2006.

1. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK - we're coming up on 5K miles, I've got the oil, Toyota oil filter, and drain plug gasket.

I checked the two oil filter wrenches I have - they are the adjustable strap type - and one of the wrenches can be sized to fit the Prius oil filter.

My question is, given the handle on the wrench, will I have room to use such a wrench to remove the old filter? Or should I make a trip to my Toyota dealer Saturday morning and get an oil filter wrench built specifically for that size oil filter?

I'd rather not get the car jacked up and the oil drained before realizing that the oil filter wrench I'm trying to use just won't do the job.

Thanks.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Take a look at the illustrated oil-change document I provide (link on my homepage). Those photos may answer your question.

But it's somewhat trivial. The wrench type works so much better than the strap that the few bucks to get one shouldn't matter, especially if you will be changing the oil yourself for many years to come.

3. jtullos

jtullos New Member

You could also get one of the filter wrenches at AutoZone or similar stores. I got mine there, and it's done the job.

By the way, john1701a, excellent site, I used that for my first DIY oil change, and I still keep the printout handy.

4. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    no, it won't work. I had a heckuva time getting that filter off the first time, and I have a collection of various filter wrenches.

don't go to the dealer...checker (and probably every auto parts store) has the plastic cap-end wrench (I think it's a #5 size, but you can verify that) for just a few dollars. Fits a 3/8" socket.

rpm

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Jul 13 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]285831[/snapback]</div>
    I'd spring for the metal end-cap wrench. The metal one I bought for the Prius worked great. I've had a plastic one in the past and the inside rounded out pretty easily.

6. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jul 13 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]285818[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, John. I've looked at, saved, and printed your oil change document. :) Great information. Your site is one I've bookmarked in my Prius folder. But I couldn't tell from the close-up photo of the oil filter if there was enough room or not.

I guess getting the wrench that's built for this size oil filter is the way to go. But I had another - for a Honda maybe? - and for some reason that I can't recall at the moment, I ended up using the strap type. Hmmmm.

Sounds to me, based on other comments made so far, that I'd be smart to get myself to an auto parts shop (and not the dealer) first thing Saturday morning and pick up a metal filter wrench. I'll take the filter along with me to make sure I get the right size.

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Mr Greengene,
    No need to hop around with the captian. :lol:

Ok I just did my 5k oil change and tire rotation on my 06. I read from Priuschat.com since then one of the coolest tips I have ever heard. Buy your self a 1 litter soda in a plastic bottle. This is so cool! Don't cut it short but cut the top dome of the bottle off so the bottom part is taller then the filter. Now put it over the old oil filter like a sleeve. As the filter starts to come off slide the sleeve up and do the rest by hand. The filter drops into the 1 liter bottle and so does the oil. Then when the oil has slowed down, set the bottle upright like it would normally sit under the dripping oil.

Here is how I did mine.
    1. Drove the car and got the oil warm not hot.
    2. Jack up the car on the front drivers side. (Less room for the filter removal but every thing seemed to drain better that way.
    3. Placed container under the oil pan and undid the screw.
    4. Removed filter. I could remove it by hand but I am a big guy.
    5. let it drain for about 15 min
    6. Put new oil on new filter seal and installed by hand as tight as it was before.
    7. Installed new washer and plug (Wish I would have had installed the
    Fumoto valve drain plug!
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_fumoto.htm
    8. Used a funnel to fill with 3 quarts of 5 w 30 mobile one. Did not want even one drop to touch my engine compartment. (I’m a syntec man but it’s a Prius. So, everything is different.)
    9. I checked later and I did add a little more. But the book says warm or cold it should be between the dots never over, never under.

Next time I after the Fumoto valve drain plug I should be able to do the oil change with out tools. :huh: :D

Check you brakes and rubber covers when you do the tire rotation.

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    personally, I skip the jacking up the car part. not necessary, and why play with your life?

9. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, the oil change is done. It's been at least three years since I last changed the oil myself, and that was a '91 Previa that was a snap. Today took a lot longer and was a lot messier than any oil change I've ever done.

I think the main problem is that I just didn't have enough room. I'm not as flexible as I used to be, and I found it hard to maneuver. I used the Prius jack, and jack stands on both sides. But I think ramps would work better. The only problem is, the ramps I have are "too tall" - the front of the car hits the ramp before the wheels.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenGene @ Jul 13 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]285857[/snapback]</div>
    This oil change refreshed my memory. In getting the old filter off, I had to tap on the ratchet to get the filter to budge, and the oil wrench got stuck on the oil filter. I ended up taking the filter off with the wrench attached - not pretty.

But, it's done, the level is right (not overfilled), and I feel good about that.

While partially under the front end, I noticed something that might be a slight problem. There's a piece of hard black plastic that goes from one side to the other, fastened to - and under - the front bumper. And there's another piece of black plastic a little further back, but not attached to the first. When I pushed up on the first piece of plastic (it's fastened on the front edge and nowhere else), I could see that there are four pre-drilled holes in the first piece that line up with four similar holes in the second piece. But they aren't fastened to one another. Should they be?

10. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just changed my oil and filter for the first time this week. I too discovered that I could not drive the car up on my ramps. The front air dam hits the ramps before the tires can get on the ramps. So I had to use the Prius jack and blocks to get the car up high enough so I could get under it. I used a big ChannelLok pliers to remove the factory oil filter. I spun on a new Toyota filter by hand. Next time I'll be able to remove the filter by hand - no tools needed. I also installed a Futomo F-103N drain valve. Hopefully, next time I can change the oil and filter in half the time.

11. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Looks like a lot of you like doing things the hard way. I want my oil changes easy.

1 The metal oil filter wrenches that go on the end of the oil filter and you turn with a big socket wrench handle are a must.

2 Ramps are readily available. I tossed my old ones and got low rise ones that fit the car. I think from Autobarn.

3 And for tires I don't even mess with the junk jack that came with the car. I got a nice little electric bottle jack and makes tire swaps really easy and fast.

I do have an old big garage jack that goes under the car if it is up on ramps but have not needed it yet. I doesn't fit under the car when down so you can jack it up. There are extra low models of these also.

4 I like the drain valves. Makes oil changes easy.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I guess you did not get to use the 1 litter bottle trick this time. I didn't get to use it on my 5k change but next time. I need to find where to buy that oil valve for myself. I have a good floor jack that is built to go under cars like the Prius. However, after I get the valve installed I don't think I will need the jack anymore. I put my filter on hand tight, or should I say hand very tight. My car is at the dealership right now getting the rear dome light fixed so I can't check on the under panel for you right now, maybe someone else can.

Remember to rotate your tires, check your brakes, and all of the rubber covers on the underside of your car. If you don't do it who will?

13. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The right toolsmake everything easier. I have a couple of short 2x8s I drive the car on before it goes up the ramp so the front doesn't hit. that provides just that little bit of extra clearance underneath when working on it. plus I have a decent floor jack so i can lift the rear and use jack stands for then I need all four off the ground. The car can go high enough so i can drop the tranny out the bottom if necessary.

For tires i have a battery operated impact wrench which makes light work of what can be a frustrating job. Oil filters I always put on hand tight with 1/4-1/2 turn with the filter wrench, whichever type fits best.

I am going to buy one of those plugs for my car. That looks like a great idea and my Canton pan is a real pain to drain out because the plug has a separate gasket which also needs to be changed each time.

I had to replace the rubber bump stops the other day and what a pain it was locating them... About five minutes to do the work per side but 48 hours to locate and have them show up...

14. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenGene @ Jul 13 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]285857[/snapback]</div>
    I did the first oil change with a strap wrench. After about 10 minutes of frustration under the car due to inadequate room to use a strap wrench (or at least mine), I managed to finally get the filter off. I've purchased an oil filter socket for future oil changes on the Prius and would recommend that others not waste time trying to use a strap, chain, or plier style wrench.

I'll also be using longer 90915-YZZF1 filters for better protection and easier access.

15. kaptaink

kaptaink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ramps? I just drive "r" up on a double set of 2x6's in my yard and get r done. One winter day I did it on my garage floor without even raising the front end. A little tight but the plug and filter are right near the front and very accessible. Good luck!

16. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

Rhino 8000 low clearance vehicle ramps work great for the PRIUS.
    Kathleen

17. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've done several oil changes and the socket wrench attachment is a MUST!

One question? Every time I remove the filter oil pours out of the thing, even if it is kept level and the pan is drained first.

Any suggestions of simmilar issues?

18. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ Jul 25 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]292238[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Kathleen. If I'm going to continue doing this - and I want to - getting a set of ramps will make it much easier for me ... and I'll be able to use them with our Sienna as well.

19. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Can you post the model of the electric bottle jack. Google hasn't turned up many. Thanks.

20. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First, wear some latex gloves to keep oil off your hands. Second, punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and let it drain before removing it.