1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Drive Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Proco, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK ... I'm a little late to the Gen III party. But in all fairness, it's not my fault. I was perfectly happy with my 2006 Gen II. Until I slid into the back of a Hyundai Santa Fe the day after Christmas and totaled it, that is.

I never really considered a replacement other than another Prius. I picked up my new 2010 Prius III on Monday evening and have put about 500 miles on it already. So I thought I'd share my initial impressions on having a Gen III vs a Gen II. To make it easy on myself, I'll list what I like, don't like and need to get used to about the Gen III.

What I like:

• Seats. The seats are much more comfortable in the Gen III.
    • ECO Mode. Due to hills and stop & go traffic, I routinely lose MPG on my commute to work. Using ECO mode I lose a lot less than I used to.
    • EV Mode. This really needs no explanation.
    • Acceleration. Whenever I needed a little giddy-up from my '06, there always seemed to be a little hesitation before it kicked in. That doesn't happen with my '10.
    • Shifter Position. I used to accidentally bump my '06 into B mode if I wasn't careful. Not going to happen now unless I'm really careless.
    What I don't like:

• 1-Door Smart Key. Call me spoiled, but I got very used to the smart key working on the hatch. Especially when I'm grocery shopping. At the very least smart key on the passenger door & hatch should have been an option.
    • No Gliding? Is this possible in the Gen III? I haven't been able to do it yet. And I've been too lazy to search the forum.
    • Steering Control Displays. Is there a way to turn this off? I really don't need to see visual proof that I turned the radio down or changed the station.
    What I need to get used to:

• Side Mirrors. Not a big fan of the new shape. No matter how I adjust them, it seems like they're always angled down.
    • Rear Visibility. Between the rear window being raked a little more steeply and the height of the rear headrests, the visibility is less than it was on the '06.
    • Center Console & Shifter Area. Coming from the more open Gen II, I feel a little confined the way these combine to separate the driver & passenger seats.
    • Smart Key Lock. The black button on the door handle & hatch of my '06 was easy to find & activate. Now it takes me multiple tries to push just the right spot.
    Keep in mind these are just initial impressions. I'm sure over time I'll adjust just fine to the things I don't like. And as much as I loved my '06 (and I loved that car), I can already sense that I'm going to end up loving my '10 even more.

2 people like this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great review...from an informed reviewer.

Interesting post!!

3. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recently read in the owner's manual you can turn off the steering wheel displays.
    Personally, I think they're cool, but TETO. =D

4. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I don't recall seeing that. What page is it in?

5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My apologies - I've been reading so many articles and manuals lately I'm getting ahead of myself. I found the customizing/turning off reference to the Touch Tracer in a PriusChat article...not the manual.
    I've been trying to locate additional info to no avail. :behindsofa:

6. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can turn down the rear headrests. That'll help a little bit.

I'm lucky to be small enough to where the center console isn't too bad. But for bigger people, I can understand.

I have the same problem with the buttons on the door. I seem to always have to "test" the rear window going up/down before I actually move the front window up/down, like I want. Forget using those buttons to lock/unlock the doors. Takes me a few times to get that right. But not worth considering it a problem.

Mike

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the review!!

Here's a few things that might help!

1. It's harder to glide in the Gen III (even with the Camry Hybrid back in 2007 so Toyota's done something since the gen 2 was launched). I asked Ken and he said if it's just to the side of "EV" (i.e. you try to feather the throttle the best you can but end up in EV mode instead of regen), it's close enough.

2. 1-dr SKS. 3-dr SKS is available on Model IV and V so it is optional, just like it was optional on the Gen 2.

3. Touch Tracer is customisable. Press DISP until you get to the Settings screen on the MID. Press and hold DISP to enter settings. Press DISP until you find steering (or something similar). Press and hold DISP to select it. Then toggle it OFF. Press and hold DISP to exit, press DISP until Exit (settings) is selected, press and hold DISP to exit the settings screen.

4. rear visibility. The lower window is taller which means the rear spoiler is a little higher up than in the Gen 2. That means better headlight blocking capabilities lol.

5. SKS touch-sensor lock. Just find the two grooves on the handle. Note that there's a sensor on the bottom too so you could touch the top only, bottom only or "squeeze" the top and bottom sensors to lock the car. I found that because I didn't have the physical confirmation that I locked the car (i.e. I can't feel the button being depressed), I tend to stay by the car a tad longer to wait for the beep/flashing light confirmation. In the old Prius, I used to close the door with a finger on the black button so that it'll lock the moment the door was closed... can't do that on the Gen 3.

2 people like this.
  8. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for your input..

9. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took the rear headrests out to improve visibility, my kid is too small to need them and I rarely will carry adults back there. Neither my wife nor I have any complaints about rear visibility or parking it in reverse. Center bar or not I think you can see quite well out of it and knowing the rear bumper is just a bit behind the glass makes it easier to park then my old 4runner imo.

Unfortunately I'm closer to 400lbs then 300 and while it took a little getting used to, the "center bridge" as I call it, isn't nearly as confining as I expected. Seatbelts are nice and long as well. This car is surprisingly well set up for bigger folks imo. Moreso then you'd expect from it's compact exterior.

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I plan to take them out until I need them. Just been too lazy. No wife or kids to worry about, so what do I need them for? If I have passengers, I can put them back in then.

I'm not that big a dude (5'9", 150 lbs). It's just having not had that center bridge in the Gen II, it feels obtrusive. But I'll get used to it.

You're welcome.

OOOH! Tips from a mod ... I'm all a-tingle! :)

This sounds very close to what I've been trying. On the consumption display I try to get it where there's nothing on the regen or the EV side. Or just a tiny tiny bit on the EV side.

So it was. But I wasn't required to get leather seats for 3-dr SKS in my '06. Sticker for my '10 was more than for my '06, but that option wasn't available. I'm disappointed it wasn't made available for at least the Model III.

Thanks!! That's going to be the first order of business when I get in the car tonight. I'm sure if I had taken the time to look through the manual, I would have found that.

I did not know that. Haven't had a chance to check this, but does the rear defroster on the lower window actually work in the Gen III? It never did in my Gen II - the wires seemed to be there just for a consistent look.

I like the physical feedback the black button gave me. And it was easy to find ... especially when wearing gloves (which I'm doing a lot of these days). Finding those grooves with gloves on is a pill. Even more so when when I'm in a parking garage (like I am at work). I didn't know about the double sensors, though. That should make things easier. Maybe I'll just switch to the pinch method.

I'm also annoyed I have to have the service department switch the backup beep to a single beep. Well, I'm more annoyed that the damn things beeps inside the car in the first place. If you're going to have the beep, have it outside the car. I'll get that taken care of when I go pick up my plates.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol

Yeah. I sometimes use the "shift to neutral" method but only when there's light traffic.

True. We're fortunate in Canada to have it available on all packages except the base model.

I'm going strictly by memory (as I don't have the manual with me) so if something's not right, let me know!

I first noticed it when my luggage fit in the cargo area with the tonneau cover closed. I couldn't do that in the Gen 2 (unless I take out a few things and avoid making the soft-case luggage bulge out). Also, the rear emblem doesn't intrude into the lower rear window as much as in the Gen 2.

I thought it did. I never had an issue with the lower rear window fogging up.

Ohh... gloves. That's one thing I don't like about the new touch sensor. With thin gloves, the pinch method works. With thick gloves, good luck. I've either had to take my hand out or use the physical lock button on the inside of the driver's door.

Yes. After sitting in the new Highlander and Sienna, I question why they get a customisation menu and the Prius doesn't.