1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First dump from OIL CATCH CAN - how's this look? :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Atari, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Atari

Atari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm think going to get one of those HD inspection cameras that connect to your phone/tablet and see if I can have a peak inside the head from the oil cap - with engine off of course :)

2. Atari

Atari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    • Seems to drop pretty quickly.
    • YES.... the oil smells.... like a solvent almost. Faintly like gasoline, but in a "burnt" non-flammable sense. If that makes sense.
    • Temp icon was on different vehicle ... the 2006. The 2006 most likely needs heater core or head gasket. Drives fine w/o heater though. Turn on heater and it'll probably overheat.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Has it run without coolant ever?

If so and you missed the level being low, it may have gotten your mag drive engine water pump.

Are there any codes on the 06? I’d suspect either the 3 way valve is bad or a bad thermostat.

4. Atari

Atari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    - The 2010 G3 has not run without coolant that I'm aware of, but then again as mentioned - the reservoir may have been empty/very low. (no overheating though)

----------------
    - [re: the 06 Gen2 - tstat replaced. Yes! 3 way valve up next. Long story short the kid dumped Bars stop leak in there when it was having problems. Ignition coils resolved most of the problem on that one too oddly enough] - No codes now.

Raytheeagle likes this.