1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Encounter with a "Hater"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 20, 2009.

1. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People fear change. That doesn't stop change happening in the society. I'm sure a lot of people were frightened by Lincoln who went to the extreme of starting a civil war to ban slavery.

I'm sure those people against Lincoln were saying, "It's my money, I can do and/or buy whatever I want, including slaves." What's wrong with legislating against those people who are saying, "It's my money, I can do and/or buy whatever I want, including senseless poluting vehicles that kills people."?

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a gray line between legislating in a way that benefits society without unduly infringing on others and legislating away freedoms to the point where we're all driving 45 horsepower bubble electric cars and given electricity rations for using our air conditioners in the summer. And since meat-producing life stock are bad on the environment giving us meat rations, too.

To be frank, if we identify everything that negatively impacts the environment (and thus others), it would be unbearable to live. We'd be suffocated under rules.

A guy up my street has a full size truck he barely puts miles on. I guarantee my environmental impact driving my Prius 20k+/year is worse than his occasional trip to Lowes or towing his trailer a couple times/year, so which of us is worse?

3. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not advocating making everybody equal by denying access to luxurious things to everybody like the communists did (not even China does that now). I'm saying legislate the use of different types of vehicles based on need. In your example your neighbour has the "need" to tow his trailer a couple of times and he doesn't drive the full size truck all year round then he's ok.

So maybe the legislation is not to prevent anybody from buying it, but to limit the use, similar to HOV lanes where min. # of passengers in the cars are legislated. In the case of trucks, the prove of need (like owning a boat/trailer/gardening business, etc.) and/or limitations on max driven mileage per year is the way to go?

Of course these legislations needs all kinds of experts, not just you and me, to set up. What I'm saying is that the complications of the matter should not be the reason to avoid looking into it.

4. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your neighbor needed to tow his trailer a couple of times a year, WHY NOT JUST RENT?!?!?!?!?!? Those who buy big vehicles need to pay bigger taxes (these vehicles damage roads and often tailgate).

5. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They do pay more taxes......Those that burn more fuel pay more fuel tax. Every gallon of gas you buy has taxes that go to Government.

Craig

6. Pre-iFoc-i

Pre-iFoc-i Pre-iFoc-i

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now we are talking... Fuel taxes hated here in Mass last year, and downed easily by who knows who. Seems odd that everyone just as happy paying for higher sales tax instead -- go figure. Regressive nature of gas tax hurts the low income, I realize, but can't that be made up with tax credits on filings? Time to start motivating fuel hogs to drive less in the beasts, and for gubberment to motivate us to use public transit more often. Besides, those gas tax $$ pay for roads, rails and train/bus equipment, right?

7. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Teeasal,

The money I earn I pay taxes on. The money I spend I pay taxes on. If there is a product.....A LEGAL PRODUCT that the government approves for sale and btw makes money on sales tax, registration etc...and I wish to purchase, such as a truck, hummer, tractor, motorcycle whatever....Its none of anyone's G&# Da*& business!!!!!

Your argument is quite interesting. Its all a matter of perspective isnt it? You own a Prius that burns gas dont you? How much pollution did it cause to produce those batteries? They'll have to be disposed of and/or recycled some day. How about that fancy computer you use to access this forum? How about the energy to heat your home in the winter? What if someone even more extreme than you suggested that you are living an unnecessary environmental destroying lifestyle and mandated YOU change it?

My point is this.....Where does it end? Will it end only if its acceptable to YOU? Only YOU know whats best for every free man and women on the planet?

I never knew of such so called "Prius hate" till I began to read some of the writings here on this forum but there is significant self righteous, condescending, hypocritical, judgmental commentary and now I can understand why some people think of the Prius negatively or at least some of the owners.

I bought the Prius because I hate the thought of sending my money to the Middle east. I am an Engineer and have a huge respect for the technical innovations in the Prius and enjoy quality engineering. My wife hates getting gas frequently and I do like the idea of less pollution not more however I would never demand someone else to conform to a lifestyle that I dictated. That's not only absurd it's insulting.

Like I stated my opinion, your entitled to yours just the same and no matter how much we debate it, either party will be swayed.....So goes life on an internet forum.

Craig