1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Enginer PHEV install in the Portland Or area, Gen2

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by dan2l, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry for bumping this old post but those motcells are cylinders?
    wow the thuderskys are not
    and those yellow thunderskys where in those kits in the past
    those motcell must have lower cap.

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Dutch,
    Yes, the Thundersky at rated 40ah. The Mottcells are rated 39ah. They use 3 each 13ah cylindrical cells.

I had measured the capacity on 34 of the gray packs and got 36ah to 41ah.

The Thundersky cells are just a little bigger and 4kwhr of them do not fit in the box with the converter and charger and BMS. The Thundersky were used in the 2kwhr systems.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    By the way, This car and its Enginer system are still running great. I did 33miles today at 68.7mpg. A little low because I am rusty on my technique. I drive my wifes Gen 3 more often and the optimum driving techniques are different on the 2 cars.

Also this 4kwhr pack of cells is still balanced well with no balancer for more than 10 months.

Thanks,
    Dan

4. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Everyone,
    I drove 29 miles each of the last 2 days. My driving technique is comming back. I got 74mpg yesterday and 79mpg today. The system is working well. I think I could turn up the voltage on the converter a little but it is harder to do on the 3k converter so I have not had the energy to do that.

Thanks,
    Dan

5. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    Wow it has been a long time since updating this thread. The system is still running well but I do not drive this car too much.

I had an issue in my 2010 and moved that 4kwhr system into this car for a while. So then I had 8Kwhr of cells and 2 3kw converters and 2 chargers. it worked great for mpg. I was getting 130mpg most of the time. But I also got codes on occasion. I never got a good correlation of codes to what was happing in the Prius so I could not figure them out enough to eliminate them.

So then I put the system back the way it was, 4kwhr with only one 3kw converter. After that I did do a 7 mile trip at 90.6mpg. so the system is still back at the level that it was at.

The important think is that it is still running well after almost 2 years.

Thanks,
    Dan

2 people like this.
  6. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    I had an opportunity to get another old 2kwhr system with a Pacific EV balancer. So now I have 6kwrh of batteries and two 3k converters in parallel again. Also this system had no balancing at all before. I had balanced it at the bottom but it was loosing that balance due to the different self discharge rates of the various cells. So now both strings of cells are tied into the Pacific EV balancer. That is working well. I can get the 115-130 mpg and safely discharge and charge both systems.

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

2 people like this.
  7. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello everyone,
    I got 120mpg for 35 miles today.

This system had an upper cutoff of 4v/cell and a charger cutoff at 58v. It was leaving one cell low so I dropped the cell cutoff to 3.8v and then it would never stop the balancing process. Then at 3.85v/cell it seemed to do better.

I changed to a 58.2v charger this morning so we will see if that will do a better job of bringing up the low cells.

I have found that the balance at the top process requires getting the interaction between the cell cutoff and the charger cutoff working correctly.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Everyone,
    Wow, I have done 475 miles since my last post. All Except a 225 mile trip where I could not charge were above 100mpg. The system is now working good. Just plug it in and walk away. The Pacific EV Balancer is working well.

My last 2 trips were 118mpg for 27 miles and 112mpg also for 27miles.

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

3 people like this.
  9. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help me understand plz
    On your Gen2 what exactly (details) Enginer kit with "mods" do you have and are you using a SG2 with Xgauge???Currently

10. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I also found this to be the case. I am also using a Elcon charger with a pot to adjust the constant current. By lowering the constant current setting of my pot I decrease the chance of getting a HVC and actually go through the complete charge program CV - CC and also extend top balancing time. By using a AC plug-in timer on the Elcon charger input I can also cycle the charger on and off each time doing a top balance, similarly to how the Pacific BMS does. I also made a modification to my Elcon charger so I could change the maximum voltage setting to match my BMS HVC setting. This also gives me control as to how long it does the top balance for.

1 person likes this.
  11. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This system has evolved over time. It is one of the earliest Enginer 4kwhr system. You need to read this entire thread to understand the answer to the question you ask.

In short, It is now a 6kwhr system with two 3k converters and a PacificEV BMS.

Yes, I have a ScanGauge with SOC and BTA dsplayed all the time.
    Do not install a PHEV system without Xgauges.

Thanks,
    Dan

2 people like this.
  12. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you give a run down of the battery pack that makes up the "6kw" or take a image or picture please?

13. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello NTex,
    How much do you understand? From your posts in various threads, it seems to me that you keep asking questions that have already been answered.

Do you understand that I had a 4kwhr system and then I added and 2kwhr used system in parallel. That is pretty strait forward.

Thanks,
    Dan

2 people like this.
  14. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    I did not drive the car much in April, But it ran well. I did no maintenance. Just pluged it in and drove it. The Pacific EV BMS is working well.

I did 3 trips over 140mpg. None of these were long enough to fully use the 6kwhr capacity. For shorter trips like this (13miles to 28miles) I can concentrate on maximum EV and not worry about the running out of electrons later in the trip.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  15. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This car and Enginer system is still working well. I have not driven it much, I probably should sell it.

Anyway, I did leave it setting for 2 full weeks. I had fully charged all 3 Batteries before leaving on vacation and both HV Batteries were all still above 90% after the 2 weeks. the 12v battery had drooped the most but it still started the car OK.

Thanks,
    Dan

[email protected] likes this.
  16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what are you driving now? or are you just driving less?

17. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Dave,
    I mostly drive my wifes 2010, also with a 6 kwhr Enginer system. It is also running well and getting close to 100mpg all the time.

Thanks,
    Dan

[email protected] likes this.