1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Enginer PHEV Installation in Portland Or Area

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dan2l, Dec 29, 2009.

1. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Still running and no maintenance issues for a very long time now. I am running a BMS16D v4.0 with balancing disabled. It does fine, but I do see it losing some balance after 2 weeks or so with no attention.

I am getting 99.9mpg. My wife gets 80mpg. I am happy with it at this point.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    I now have 22K miles on the car and about 15K miles on the Enginer system. Everything is working well.I have not looked inside the Enginer box for a couple of months. I do a full charge and then about 10 topoff charges (on a timer) a day and the overcharge protection in the mottcells balance the system at the top. I have not done any manual balancing for months.

I still get 100 mpg but it is winter so my wife is down to 70 mpg.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hi
    wy do you do manual balance anyway? if the overcharge protection already tops them of and so balances?

nice to see that the system is already running for so long without any trouble

you dont notice that the battery DC-DC assist is less or still same distance before the pack is empty?

4. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Dutch,
    I was manually balancing because the earlier Enginer BMS's put the system out of balance faster than the top balance could easily correct. The BMS16D V4.0 is much better.

I may be miss-understanding you, But I am thinking this is a question about capacity over time. It is hard to tell because winter vs summer has so much effect. But I do believe I have at least one cell that is degraded in capacity. In addition I think I clearly see that the pack capacity is more susceptible to discharge rate. That is that the pack shows less capacity if I discharge very fast. When this happens I can let it rest and then get more capacity out of it.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  5. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Everyone,
    As soon as I brag on the system working well......

The green light would not come on and no power. So I opened it up and plugged the phone cable into a known good converter. No Joy. So then I used 12v from a power port through a known good switch and phone cable. WahLah! It worked on both converters. So then I dug into the dash and found that a connector on the back of the dash switch had come loose.

It was a 15 minute fix that took about 2 hours because for the time and effort needed to get to the converter end of the phone cable and the time to trouble shoot with known good parts.

Enginer has no locks on any connector, so vibrations can loosen them up over time. This switch has been installed with no one touching anything under the dash for more than a year.

The plane truth is that Enginer did not design this system to stand up to the automotive environment.

Thanks,
    Dan

2 people like this.
  6. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Everyone,
    Working well again. 2 weeks with no problems. My wife is getting 70-85mpg and I am over 100mpg.

My last two full trips were 95.4mpg for 42.4miles and 105mpg for 35.7miles.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  7. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay
    Help me out here
    The Enginer kit that is reflected in your images is different that the current Enginer kit currently being offered. Meaning instead you get RFE battery, upgraded BMS, and a 5000 DC-DC converter.

8. dragonfinder1

dragonfinder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I might be interested in a 4kw battery pack, but I would like to know if the ICE can charge the battery pack or does it charge only by plugging in?

I was on the Engineer web site and I can't find an answer to this question.

9. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, in this setup power only flows from the plugin pack to the HV battery, it cannot flow back the other way.

1 person likes this.
  10. dragonfinder1

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, I was afraid of that. Because I have 12 miles in each direction before I get to a flat road longer than 500 ft. or get to town, I'm not sure that it would help me enough to justify the $5000 for the extra capacity.

11. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Pluginsupply kit allows regen to the addon pack, but is slightly more expensive.

12. dragonfinder1

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Who makes that?

13. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a question. I read this whole thread last night and it appears there is a lot of tweaking and re-balancing involved in keeping the Enginer LiP cells healthy long term. How well will the AV cars do it automatically. I'm talking about Leaf, Volt and similar cars. I guess PIP also belongs in this category.

15. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Tex,
    Sorry for not replying earlier.

So it is clear that you do not understand the Enginer history. I was one of the first to get a 4kwhr Enginer system. Enginer started with a 2kwhr system with thunderskys. Almost all of those 2kwhr systems are no longer operational. Then they made the 4kwhr system with Mottcells. The Realforce cells did not come out until much later. As a result you will never see a Realfoce system that has as much usage as my system has.

Enginer has made lots of changes over the years. Some of them were good, some of them were not as good.

Thanks,
    Dan

2 people like this.
  16. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Dragon,
    If you are ever in my area you are welcome to come by and see both of my systems.

You do not need a flat road to have the system be usefull. In actuality you very seldom regen more than the Prius HV battery will take. Until that happens it does not matter if the add-on system takes regen. So my Enginer cells never take Regen, but I still get full usage of the energy that gets regenerated.

Thanks,
    Dan

2 people like this.
  17. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Flan,
    I am sorry to disagree with you but I don't think the Prius will regen much into a Pluginsupply pack. Did you realize that the Pluginsupply kit has 76 cells. That means that the Pluginsupply kit needs to be 3/4 depleted before it gets down to 240v.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  18. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi J,
    The AV cars need to do a much better job of engineering the system than Enginer does. Of course better than Enginer is not a very high bar to get over. But clearly this does take a lot of good engineering.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  19. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone may need to tell Enginer to update their web page. The site has 2KW on their still. Dan please comment on the current 4kw by Enginer if you have knowledge.

20. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just help a friend upgrade from one of the original kits to the latest version, in a Gen II.

The newest layout has some elegance to it. The big stainless enclosure is gone. Instead, it is more like a tray, with a cover for the RealForce modules. The converter is now on the passenger side. We were able to reuse all of the wiring, except for the converter-HV battery connection, which was ever-so-slightly different. If it were me, I would replace those with Anderson's anyway. However, there are a couple of things that need tweaking. The RealForce modules now sit in the middle in tandem, rather than side-by-side in the back. So the rear temperature sense harness isn't quite long enough to make it to the BMS. The rear voltage sense harness is pretty tight, so they included a hand-fabbed extension cable. There is very little clearance between the Realforce modules and the HV battery enclosure and the rear trunk, so we had to stuff the heavy gauge battery wires down in there, and I didn't like doing that.

However, he popped a red triangle yesterday, so I need to help him adjust down the converter. We ran out of time to check it when it was being installed.

2 people like this.