1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First flight on a Dreamliner

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, May 27, 2014.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my first flight on a Dreamliner yesterday. It was only a very short flight - Sydney to Melbourne, which is about an hour. But I'm a plane geek, and I chose this flight because it was a Dreamliner. The flight was with Jetstar, which is a budget airline, so the service was as you'd expect.

But the plane was astonishing. I loved the windows. I always like to get a window seat when I'm flying, but it is always a little bit uninspiring to squint through the tiny windows. From what I've read, the Dreamliner windows are only about 30% bigger than those on other widebody planes, but they feel way bigger. You can even look comfortably out of the windows on the other side of the plane.

And it was so quiet! Until now, the quietest flights I've had have been upstairs on A380s, but this was even better. I could hear the baby behind me crying with perfect clarity. I reckon I could have listened to my mp3 player at normal volume.

I knew that the cabin could be kept at a higher pressure than in normal planes, and I definitely noticed that: my ears didn't pop going up or down. But I didn't realise how much higher the 787 flew than other planes: even on that short hop, I noticed on the screen that we were at 43,000ft. I'm sure that makes a massive difference for fuel economy.

I have to go to Britain later this year. All other things being equal (decent stopover locations and convenient flight times, basically), I'd choose an airline that's flying Dreamliners on the route over one that isn't.

And I say all this as someone whose Dad worked for British Aerospace, and who therefore has close links to, and a general preference for, Airbus. I hope the new A350 is good.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Neat. Doubt I will ever get a chance to ride one.

3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not? Do you never fly down to the other US states?

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well yes, but they will never bring that one up here... not enough traffic.

5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah. Yes, you used to get loads of big planes going through Anchorage, but all those long-range planes like the A340-600 and the 777ER mean that all those Asia-to-Eastern-US flights don't need to stop there any more.

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. The new quote thing is confusing.

7. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wasn't the name "Jetstar" the aircraft that was originally made by Lockeed? It was also featured in the movie with James Bond's Goldfinger! Goldfinger's private jet was a "Jetstar." Remember the scene where Goldfinger gets sucked out the window after firing his gun? One of the best movies ever made!

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahha! Yes, it was! Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

But this was nothing so glamorous. It was one of these:

[​IMG]

Jetstar isn't terrible. But its rival, Tigerair, is so awful that being sucked out of the window part-way through the flight would actually be an improvement on normal service.

And yes, it's a brilliant film. I love Bond films. Even OHMSS.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Australia lies wide-body jets between cities? I don't think they do that in the U.S. Widebodies are typically reserved for international across the Pacific or Atlantic.

I hestitate to fly on new planes for the same reason I don't buy just-released cars:

All the bugs have not been worked out. Example: The lithium battery fires on the dreamliner. Another example: Back in the 80s a plane was designed with an outswinging cargo door, which was a new concept, but the handle was designed incorrectly. (Two planes crashed killing all passengers until the FAA grounded the model & forced a fix on the handle.)

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This flight was actually Sydney-Melbourne-Bangkok, but I just took the domestic leg. The Sydney-Melbourne route on its own is covered mainly by A319s/A320s (Jetstar and Tiger), 737s (Qantas and Vitgin) and 767s (Qantas). Routes from Sydney to smaller cities are either 737s (Qantas) or those little Embraers (Virgin).

But Virgin, Jetstar and Qantas all use widebodies - mainly A330s - on the Sydney-Perth and Melbourne-Perth routes. Mind you, that is almost the same sort of distance as a transatlantic flight.

Yes, I'd probably have avoided the 787 last year.

Are you thinking of this 747 one?

United Airlines Flight 811 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or the DC-10 ones in the 70s (American Airlines and Turkish Airlines)?

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm probably not going to get to take a ride on a Dream-liner either, which is :) and ... :(
    As many military birds as I've managed to hitch rides on over the years, passenger jets absolutely terrify me, especially when rotating off the runway. :eek:
    It's rather like some people are with needles, arachnids, and taxes. (Sorry Spiderman! No offense intended!)
    Contrary to logic, I'm the least afraid aboard military birds (especially trash haulers) and during landing----statistically the most dangerous part of the flight. About the time the flaps come out and the gear goes down, my heart stops beating at 2.5x its normal rate.
    I got to go into the cockpit of an aging but still very serviceable L1011 as it was departing the US east coast one clear night which was really cool, BUT I've also endured one aborted takeoff and one landing that was hard enough to blow tires, pop oxygen masks out of their storage compartments and jam the cargo door shut for 6 hours... :(
    No soiled knickers or high pitched keening from me on either occasion, which is one of my few legitimate claims to anything close to bravery. :)

Interestingly enough, my last (overseas) ride was aboard a DC-10 and I managed to sleep for most of the way despite the fact that it was a military contracted cattle-hauler.
    Since I'm also an airplane geek....I knew about the DC-10s history with the doors, but we were flying OUT of Kuwait.
    Besides....once they got the bugs worked out and the bodies buried, the DC-10 turned out to be a pretty safe plane.

So....
    If I never get to take a hop on a dream-liner it will be both a disappointment and something of a relief. :)

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

My Dad, who at one point had to go to Munich every Tuesday, and who at another point was going to Riyadh once every two weeks, developed a terrible fear of commercial planes too. It was a huge problem - he had to see a shrink about it. It wasn't a fear of flying: it was more like claustrophobia.

My last ride on a DC-10 must have been 15 years ago, on an Eva Air flight from Taipei to Hong Kong. I always thought they were lovely-looking planes. Noisy at the back, though. I still see the occasional Fed-Ex one coming in to land at Sydney: they particularly suit that paint job.

And as for frightening events, the only really dodgy one I've ever had was as a kid, in one of the first Boeing 757s (which goes to what Troy said about not flying in brand-new planes before they've ironed out the glitches), an Air Europe one flying out of Manchester. The cooling system had failed, and air was coming in from the compressors at several hundred degrees F. There wasn't time to fly out to sea to dump fuel: the pilot just did a handbrake turn (technical term there), and flew straight back in, with full fuel tanks. A whole fleet of fire engines chased us down the runway, and a lot of passengers were unconscious by the time we hit the runway and they opened the doors. Several tyres burst when we hit the ground. It didn't give me a fear of flying, though.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always thought that the DC-10 got an unfair rep after Chicago and Sioux City....but it doesn't take too many pictures like this with your morning Corn Flakes to make you say... "If it's not Boeing? I'm NOT going!!"
    [​IMG]

I understand your affinity with Airbus though, and everybody from the UK can be justifiably proud of your contributions to aeronautics!!!
    Some of my very favorite planes have worn RAF roundels....
    Avro Vulcan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    de Havilland Mosquito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Avro Lancaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hawker Siddeley Nimrod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

14. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This is the flight that beamed cockpit video directly to the passengers, so they could see the plane takeoff. After this event, with passengers watching their plummet to death, the idea was discontinued.

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was the best theme of the Bond series

16. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wonder how many takeoffs and landings will accumulate before structural anomalies start to rear their ugly heads. Aloha Airlines 243 revisited.

17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was. But I think the winner of this year's Eurovision should do the next one. This was the most Bond-theme song ever to have not been a Bond theme.

18. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The biggest employer (apart from "being retired") in the town I grew up in manufactured fighter planes.

Before I was born they made the Lightning: Mach II and 70,000ft in 1959.
    English Electric Lightning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]

As I was growing up, it was the Tornado: we'd see them testing above the beach outside my school.

Panavia Tornado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]

And these days, it's the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Eurofighter Typhoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]

Even now, 20 years and 10,000 miles from where I grew up, the one thing that reminds me of home more than anything else - more than the smell of chips and gravy, or the sound of a Lancashire accent, or the feel of drizzle driven by strong wind - is the sound of a fighter jet.

19. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, we do have much better testing these days.