1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Gen 5 2023 Toyota Prius cars show up at the dealers!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a Gen 5 for the first time on the Santa Monica Freeway in Santa Monica today. It was a reservoir-blue LE.

I was not impressed at all by its looks. :cry: It is small, rather ordinary-looking, still very Priusy but now less substantial, and has odd teardrop cuts in the rear sides. Black wheel covers looked featureless and black while in motion. It is no Tesla Model 3 in terms of looks. :(

Perhaps a better color such as black or red can partially make up for the looks. The reservoir blue did not impress.

2. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    A unique reaction for sure. Perhaps seeing it moving, and at a distance, didn't allow you to appreciate its subtle curves. Most would say it is an extreme visual improvement over previous generations. Many say it's better looking than Tesla.

I will add that when I came to a dealership to look at a 2023 Prius that they were hiding in the back, I was a little underwhelmed. It was black, dirty, and parked tightly between two other cars. It looked quite normal. Then on another occasion, I came to look at a white one that was washed, parked alone, and sitting at an angle. I was floored with its beauty. The car is very photogenic.

When you are able to walk up to one parked, you might have a different impression.

2022 dimensions: 180″ L x 69″ W x 58″ H
    2023 dimensions: 181″ L x 70″ W x 56″ H

It's definitely not smaller. Lower for sure.

moonmist, Neomorphy and Gokhan like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but 2" narrower, that's a lot

4. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Saw a Windchill Pearl Prius XLE in a dealership. Thought it was a very attractive car.

#424 Nntw, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
  5. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wouldn't narrower be the width? 2023 is 1" wider. My garage is rather narrow, so I pay attention to that measurement. 1" wider won't be any real problem but a big SUV would.

I think you are confusing narrower with lower. The 2023 is 2" less high than the 2022.

Preebee and Gokhan like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i was looking at the height. if it's an inch wider, was is the hatch opening narrower?

7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Windchill Pearl is extremely attractive for some reason. It wasn't my first choice, but I'm glad I ended up with it.

My first choice was Guardian Gray, then black, then silver, then... maybe white. Red also looks awesome! But I don't want a red car. I think any color will be great, but needs to be clean to reveal the full majesty of the designer's work. This isn't a Corvette where you can see it coming from 5 miles away. These lines flow across the car like water. They are impressive in their beauty and subtlety. A Corvette just bashes you over the head with flair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See??? Not the same. 23 vs 57 combined MPG's. :LOL:

8. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    When I put my deposit for the 2023 Prius Prime Premium Silver color with Solar Panel. I was told I was #13 on the list but for the Premium version I was number 2 since most of the 11 deposits were for the SE or XSE versions.

The #1 guy was firm about his choices and was willing to wait for the Premium Silver with Solar Panel which was identical to my choice.

My second choice of color was Guardian Gray and then the White as my 3rd choice. I was hoping to get some other options with the car but it was impossible!

The fleet manager told me that she didn’t see any Solar Panel on the first batch of cars or in the near future and even on fully loaded cars, the Solar Panel will be the last option added and I might have to wait as long as the #1 guy or longer and that I should be flexible as the cars were hard to come by.

They got their first Guardian Gray XSE and was sold before it arrived. The 2nd was the Guardian Gray Premium with not much options added except for the mats and nets, mud guards, etc.

She told me the car is here, not your first choice color of silver and of course no Solar Panel. She asked if I wanted it, if not there were others waiting to buy it.

It is a seller’s market, you can’t negotiate or get everything you want in a car. I picked up the car 2 days ago!

Exerted and Gokhan like this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The only option ever on the Prius Prime so far has been the digital key—no solar roof, DRVM, PVM, etc. are available. I guess since the car is already so ridiculously overpriced, Toyota does not want to make it look totally crazy with Prius Prime priced over Model 3.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fuel and energy prices in Japan and Europe make the solar roof an easier sell there too.

11. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I plugged my new to me Gen 4 in today, and one minute later I swear it was a Gen 5 Prime drive up, disappointed not to get the free charging spot. I needed two hours so headed out with the dog to walk. I see him drive by from where the other free charger is, probably in hopes I left. The engine was running, so battery out. Other also taken, welcome to free charging wars. I am sure it was 5 because of the tail lights. Dark grey. I put in 6 kwh which I think is ok from no reading on dash. Pretty good buffer on Prius. I guess 6 kwh is pathetic to real ev drivers, loading 60 or more kwh at the free L2 chargers all the time. I am guessing the 5 can take about 10.
    They leave their brand new latest 90k car/toy sitting out all night on a street to save $15.

bisco likes this.
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The conversion factor is 33.705 kWh/gallon.

So, then, the electric-fuel capacity (useable BEV-battery capacity) is as follows:

Gen 4: 33.705 kWh/g × 25 mi / 133 mi/g = 6.34 kWh
    Gen 5: 33.705 kWh/g × 44 mi / 127 mi/g = 11.7 kWh

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they should do away with free chargers and subsidize electricity generation like oil, so companies can make a profit at home electric cost prices

14. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Went to pick up a part at the dealership and saw a red XLE AWD sitting there. I made the right color choice. I'd still rather have mustard, but ketchup is a great(the best?) second choice. I was a tiny bit worried I'd have buyer's remorse the first time I saw the red in person, but now I'm good.

About a week and a half until my 2023 gets here. All fixes on my 2010 are now complete, and just a bunch of detailing to go. Even tested the traction battery today and got a reading of almost 70% health at 75F/24C. Not bad for a 13.5 year old car. Should have another 8ish years of battery life and 200k+ miles of engine/transmission life if it's taken care of by the next owner(s).

Gokhan likes this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, the red and black are the best colors. Red is not for everyone though. I had a red car once. I never had a black one. We will see how I will like it. Henry Ford only wanted to make black cars: "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."

“Any color the customer wants, as long as it’s black.”—Henry Ford

I almost got to see the new Prius Prime in person while I am waiting for an oil change at West Coast Toyota, Long Beach, right now, but the car was sold yesterday. I got to see a bZ4X instead—good-looking car, I will post pictures.

16. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The dealership I was at today was saying goodbye to their bZ4X that had been in the showroom for over a month. Sounded like it was being transported to another dealership quite aways away. I thought it was hilarious that a Minnesota dealership in a rural community of 14k got stuck with a bZ4X that they couldn't get rid of.

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It looks like they have stopped the production of XSE Premium for now. Is that because it is embarrassingly expensive?

Here is a $51,454 XSE Premium for those who want it—apparently one of the only two in the entire US.

$51,454 Prius Prime XSE Premium at Dublin Toyota

However, most people on the Longo Toyota waiting list want an XSE Premium.

I wonder when the 2024 model will arrive—hopefully in September.

#437 Gokhan, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  18. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    As I said in another thread (Gen 5 better looking than Gen 4?), there is no doubt whatsoever that the new Prius is a smaller-feeling car. This is the centre of the debate for me. They've essentially gone from a four adult, near mid-size cabin, to a compact car that will carry two adults up front and two tweens in the back. Sorry, but dem's da facts. The cargo room behind the seats is most definitely significantly less, and I will find it impossible to load some things through my wife's '23 hatch that fit easily through my '22 Prime.

It's a big trade-off for me, and since I travel long distances frequently in my 22 Prime, I'm having the most difficulty in accepting this. When I drive her 23, then get back in my 22, it's a big difference in terms of my comfort. I worry about long trips in a new 23 Prime. How much is it worth to gain that extra EV range? And to have a "sportier look," and to gain major acceleration? I find the present levels very acceptable for even my highway merge and comfortable cruising at 75-80 mph. I kind of wish Prius had made the 23 available in both styles, with an upgraded battery for those who prefer the more utilitarian style to the sport compact style, but I understand that choices had to be made. That said, it's very disappointing that they are only making like 10,000 this year, and only bumping to 15k next year. If the world wants all these EVs and PHEVs, why not embrace that demand with more production???

#438 Downrange, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they don't really want them, it's just the temporary affects of covid and gas prices.
    look at sales from 17-19, even into 20.

i agree on the downsizing. was hoping mainly for lowered hatch floor. but it is what it is,
    at 35k for the base tesla and 33.5 for the prime, i'm leaning the other way. at least you can get one.

Downrange likes this.
  20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Saturday I looked at an available bZ4X, Rav4 XLE hybrid and a Rav4 Prime. All 2023 models. The dealer can't find a buyer because of the $10k market adjustment and $5k worth of add-ons. With high interest rates even the dumb guys are not biting.